• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

It's a new season, time to LOL @ the Mets again

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think when the Mutts pitchers go up to bat, they should get some chin music and/or acquire some rib bruises.

Oh wait….
I'm assuming this is a DH reference. The thing is, even when pitchers had to bat it seems like they rarely got thrown at. I think in addition to the unwritten rules, pitchers had "double top secret unwritten rules" about hitting each other.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm assuming this is a DH reference. The thing is, even when pitchers had to bat it seems like they rarely got thrown at. I think in addition to the unwritten rules, pitchers had "double top secret unwritten rules" about hitting each other.
You are probably right. Which just adds to the “unwritten rules are BS” narrative.

Not to defend Juan Marichal, but there is a kind of justice in what he did.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are probably right. Which just adds to the “unwritten rules are BS” narrative.

Not to defend Juan Marichal, but there is a kind of justice in what he did.
maybe, but if it is what I'm thinking of he may have taken it to the extreme

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
maybe, but if it is what I'm thinking of he may have taken it to the extreme
Absolutely. And the fact that he was a pitcher who did that kind of takes away from my point. But pitchers are essentially guns and the ball is essentially a big bullet. If they are allowed to “shoot” batters, the batters should have some kind of recourse. Charging the mound, bat in band, should be allowed based on the “unwritten rules”.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absolutely. And the fact that he was a pitcher who did that kind of takes away from my point. But pitchers are essentially guns and the ball is essentially a big bullet. If they are allowed to “shoot” batters, the batters should have some kind of recourse. Charging the mound, bat in band, should be allowed based on the “unwritten rules”.
Yeah I could see that. Especially if they hit someone for something really stupid like a bat flip, or stealing a base with a 5 run lead or something

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think at some point you just have to start throwing at other teams first. I haven't followed those stupid retaliation rules lately, but if it keeps happening, you have to send the message that you're not taking any more shit.

Dont care about the "unintentional" aspect, no way to prove it. But they're in first all season, they're third in the league in run differential, and they get hit more often than anybody else in the league. It don't take a genius, as they say...

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think at some point you just have to start throwing at other teams first. I haven't followed those stupid retaliation rules lately, but if it keeps happening, you have to send the message that you're not taking any more shit.

Dont care about the "unintentional" aspect, no way to prove it. But they're in first all season, they're third in the league in run differential, and they get hit more often than anybody else in the league. It don't take a genius, as they say...
It probably depends on the players getting hit too. Alonso is one of the best homerun hitters in the league so you obviously don't want him getting hit, but some of those scrappy guys like Nimmo and McNeil, they might be ok with it. I could see Nimmo making the HBPs part of his game.

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It probably depends on the players getting hit too. Alonso is one of the best homerun hitters in the league so you obviously don't want him getting hit, but some of those scrappy guys like Nimmo and McNeil, they might be ok with it. I could see Nimmo making the HBPs part of his game.
It is part of Nimmo's game. Has been for some time.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I misunderstood (even though it was specifically spelled out in the first post of this discussion). I thought the Mutts pitchers were hitting opposing batters. But this is about mutt hitters getting plunked.

I don’t watch enough mutt games to know specifically, but there are lots of batters that put on armor and then basically stand on top of the plate. I have seen more than once where the batter gets hit by a robot-strike and the ump awards the base. That is BS.

I propose that helmets, padded gloves and padded sleeves be the only upper-body armor that batters should be allowed to wear (I am open to fine tuning this). And it should be a point of interest for umpires to not allow 1st if the batter either makes no attempt to get out of the way or intentionally gets himself hit.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I misunderstood (even though it was specifically spelled out in the first post of this discussion). I thought the Mutts pitchers were hitting opposing batters. But this is about mutt hitters getting plunked.

I don’t watch enough mutt games to know specifically, but there are lots of batters that put on armor and then basically stand on top of the plate. I have seen more than once where the batter gets hit by a robot-strike and the ump awards the base. That is BS.

I propose that helmets, padded gloves and padded sleeves be the only upper-body armor that batters should be allowed to wear (I am open to fine tuning this). And it should be a point of interest for umpires to not allow 1st if the batter either makes no attempt to get out of the way or intentionally gets himself hit.
I think almost every batter nowadays wears some kind of protection. I get the ones on the elbow and the shin (for foul balls), and if you've already suffered a hand injury, the ones for the back of the hand that looks like the dude is wearing a boxing glove. But I get what you're saying about the guys who will stand in and not even try to move. I think those are supposed to be up to the umpire to decide if the player made no effort to get out of the way.

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I figured that, based on the games I've seen.
Your boys seem to be adjusting well to the managerial change. Rob Thomson is a solid baseball lifer. I'd really like to see the Phils do well so he can keep the job.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I figured that, based on the games I've seen.
Unfortunately for Brandon he has missed significant PT in all but one season, that was 2018. He had over 500 plate appearances and was hit by a pitch a whopping 22 times (also struck out 140 times).

No other season has he been hit more than 5, 6, or 7 times, and he only played in more than 70 games one other season (last year, 92 games, 5 HBP). But, he has a career OBP of .390, and 3 seasons where it was north of .400. If he could stay healthy he could be a pretty decent leadoff guy.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your boys seem to be adjusting well to the managerial change. Rob Thomson is a solid baseball lifer. I'd really like to see the Phils do well so he can keep the job.
Yeah, I can't complain so far.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think almost every batter nowadays wears some kind of protection. I get the ones on the elbow and the shin (for foul balls), and if you've already suffered a hand injury, the ones for the back of the hand that looks like the dude is wearing a boxing glove. But I get what you're saying about the guys who will stand in and not even try to move. I think those are supposed to be up to the umpire to decide if the player made no effort to get out of the way.
It is umpire’s discretion. But that only gets called MAYBE a dozen times a season league wide.

I do believe that batters should be able to wear whatever they like below the belt. The intentional hbp hitter typically leans in on the plate with all the arm armor so there is no fear on their part. Getting hit in the legs is almost always a legit hbp.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unfortunately for Brandon he has missed significant PT in all but one season, that was 2018. He had over 500 plate appearances and was hit by a pitch a whopping 22 times (also struck out 140 times).

No other season has he been hit more than 5, 6, or 7 times, and he only played in more than 70 games one other season (last year, 92 games, 5 HBP). But, he has a career OBP of .390, and 3 seasons where it was north of .400. If he could stay healthy he could be a pretty decent leadoff guy.
Yeah he seems pretty solid. 22 is a nice boost to the OBP

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is umpire’s discretion. But that only gets called MAYBE a dozen times a season league wide.

I do believe that batters should be able to wear whatever they like below the belt. The intentional hbp hitter typically leans in on the plate with all the arm armor so there is no fear on their part. Getting hit in the legs is almost always a legit hbp.
haha, yeah the plastic elbow armor seems a little suspect. My new favorite thing is the guys that wear the oven mitt on the basepaths. I guess that's because of the way the slide or something

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
haha, yeah the plastic elbow armor seems a little suspect. My new favorite thing is the guys that wear the oven mitt on the basepaths. I guess that's because of the way the slide or something
The fact that it extends the hand by 6 inches is completely coincidental…

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey, they are starting to even it up. Peterson hit 2 of the first 3 batters

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1