• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

It's a new season, time to LOL @ the Mets again

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
San Francisco -- The edge of the western world.
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is still a great team effort. Johan Santana's no hitter was his last great game.
Yep.
It's an awesome achievement regardless.
Whether if it takes 1 pitcher..or 3, or in tonight's case, 5 pitchers.

Yes-Yes, it's still a No-No.

Of the 315 no-nos at the highest level, only 17 have been combined efforts. Only 27 have included at least six walks. This one checked both such boxes, while also requiring more pitches (159) than any no-hitter since pitch counts became a widely available statistic in 1987.

1651304950566.png

1651304982730.png

1651305010897.png

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Am I the only one who just doesn’t have any shits to give about a combined no-no?
No. I agree. The whole fun of watching a no hitter used to be a pitcher have to navigate through the lineup at least 3 times for the complete game no-no. Even back when we didn't have all the statistics that we have now, you knew in the back of your head that sending the starter out in the 8th and 9th after throwing a ton of pitches wasn't optimal but they always did it to give the crowd a chance to see history.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. I agree. The whole fun of watching a no hitter used to be a pitcher have to navigate through the lineup at least 3 times for the complete game no-no. Even back when we didn't have all the statistics that we have now, you knew in the back of your head that sending the starter out in the 8th and 9th after throwing a ton of pitches wasn't optimal but they always did it to give the crowd a chance to see history.
I remember the Angels threw one in the late 80s or early 90s (I want to say it was in ‘88, but I don’t care enough to actually look it up). It just felt like it was a “lessor” achievement. The same thing happened at the end of the day, but it just didn’t have the same awe attached to it.

In todays game, I am not certain we will see one-pitcher no-no’s again after the next few years. There are still teams that utilize the traditional role of a SP, but within 10 years or so, the best SP will average MAYBE 6 IP per start. I wouldn’t be surprised if SPs will regularly only be expected to go 3 IPs.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember the Angels threw one in the late 80s or early 90s (I want to say it was in ‘88, but I don’t care enough to actually look it up). It just felt like it was a “lessor” achievement. The same thing happened at the end of the day, but it just didn’t have the same awe attached to it.

In todays game, I am not certain we will see one-pitcher no-no’s again after the next few years. There are still teams that utilize the traditional role of a SP, but within 10 years or so, the best SP will average MAYBE 6 IP per start. I wouldn’t be surprised if SPs will regularly only be expected to go 3 IPs.
Yeah some of the traditional stats for pitchers are becoming obsolete. Maybe the "Hold" stat will become the big thing. Wins was never perfect for an individual pitcher but now it's almost completely meaningless. I have though the Save stat was way overrated for a while too. Especially when you hear about these "closers" that say they pitch better when the come in to a "clean" 9th inning.
Giving a guy a save for coming in with a 3 run lead in the 9th is kind of ridiculous. Firemen get awards for pulling someone out of a burning building, not spreading awareness about smoke detectors. Anyone can do that.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah some of the traditional stats for pitchers are becoming obsolete. Maybe the "Hold" stat will become the big thing. Wins was never perfect for an individual pitcher but now it's almost completely meaningless. I have though the Save stat was way overrated for a while too. Especially when you hear about these "closers" that say they pitch better when the come in to a "clean" 9th inning.
Giving a guy a save for coming in with a 3 run lead in the 9th is kind of ridiculous. Firemen get awards for pulling someone out of a burning building, not spreading awareness about smoke detectors. Anyone can do that.
I have always liked the Hold. It is essentially end-of-the-game-result independent, except that your team needs to be leading when you enter to get one. It isn’t a perfect stat (no single stat is), but I thought it told a story for a completely overlooked position.

As for the Win, the 5 inning requirement for a SP is stupid. It arbitrarily separates the guy who happens to pitch in the first inning from the guy who pitches in the 6th inning. Why should a guy who comes into the game in the second inning and throws 3 innings be eligible for a win, but if he threw the first pitch to the lead off hitter, he isn’t eligible.

Rabbit hole…

Pre DH, if the SP for the visiting team bats in the top of the first and gets hurt, would his replacement still have the 5 IP requirement to get the win? Or, if his replacement threw 9 (or 8 in a loss), would he have gotten a complete game?

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have always liked the Hold. It is essentially end-of-the-game-result independent, except that your team needs to be leading when you enter to get one. It isn’t a perfect stat (no single stat is), but I thought it told a story for a completely overlooked position.

As for the Win, the 5 inning requirement for a SP is stupid. It arbitrarily separates the guy who happens to pitch in the first inning from the guy who pitches in the 6th inning. Why should a guy who comes into the game in the second inning and throws 3 innings be eligible for a win, but if he threw the first pitch to the lead off hitter, he isn’t eligible.

Rabbit hole…

Pre DH, if the SP for the visiting team bats in the top of the first and gets hurt, would his replacement still have the 5 IP requirement to get the win? Or, if his replacement threw 9 (or 8 in a loss), would he have gotten a complete game?
That is a tough one. I kind of think he wouldn't, just based on the way they treated the win stat. For a win, I believe if you finish 5 innings in a tie game and your team breaks the tie in the top of the 6th and stays ahead for the rest of the game the starter gets the win, even though another pitcher came in in the bottom of the 6th.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is a tough one. I kind of think he wouldn't, just based on the way they treated the win stat. For a win, I believe if you finish 5 innings in a tie game and your team breaks the tie in the top of the 6th and stays ahead for the rest of the game the starter gets the win, even though another pitcher came in in the bottom of the 6th.
That makes sense. He was the pitcher of record when the final go-ahead run was scored. That still happens all the time for relievers.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now up to 42 hit by pitches for Mets batters. They're not intentional and Buck has said as much but I would like to see some type of response.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now up to 42 hit by pitches for Mets batters. They're not intentional and Buck has said as much but I would like to see some type of response.
what kind of response do you want to see? I guess they could go hit some guys themselves

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what kind of response do you want to see? I guess they could go hit some guys themselves
I think when the Mutts pitchers go up to bat, they should get some chin music and/or acquire some rib bruises.

Oh wait….