• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is West Coast football back to normal? (2021 PAC-12 preview thread)

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last year, the PAC-12 was basically the last conference to join the 2020 season. Now that it's 2021, are the PAC-12 schools ready to go back to full-time football? And will we see a resurgence (kinda like what they did during the basketball tournament last spring)?

In between my previews, I'm hoping you all will discuss the possibilities.

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see the narrative around the PAC 12 changing this year, even though I don't think the league will be that bad. The problem is the league has five top 25 caliber teams IMO but nobody who is in the top 10. Without someone emerging as a serious playoff contender, the narrative won't change.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Washington

The first preview segment for the PAC-12 Conference: The Washington Huskies

Last season: Straight-up bizarre. The Huskies never played a road game, only played 4 games total, but they were going to go to the PAC-12 title game before COVID struck? And yet people are optimistic about a title push for Washington this year?

Good news: The offense returns it's entire O-line, which is good news for a good group of RB's. The linebackers look good on defense.

Bad news: But the defense still needs some help in getting a pass-rush, no doubt thanks to Zion Tupuola-Fetui getting injured in the spring. Oh, and there's no go-to wide receiver at the moment for the Huskies.

2021 X-factor: QB Dylan Morris- Dylan SHOULD be more comfortable in his 2nd year as Washington's starting QB. But if Dylan doesn't work out, I'll bet you that the coaches will give 5-star recruit Sam Huard a try as the head man.

Key games:
9/11 @ Michigan (Never mind that this will be Washington's first road game in 21 months; this will still be a must-watch for the CFB fans... and a must-win for both teams.)
10/30 @ Stanford (Is Stanford really recovering from a couple of lean years? The Huskies' defense will soon find out.)
11/6 vs. Oregon (The biggest game for Washington this season. Like Lindy's magazine says "The Huskies can't own the Pacific Northwest until they start beating the Ducks".)
11/13 vs. Arizona State (Trouble for Washington is, they have to host the Sun Devils right after that emotional Oregon game.)
11/26 vs. Washington State (Yay! Another tender reunion between in-state rivals, as the "Apple Cup" starts up again.)

Bottom line: Washington is the wild-card in the PAC-12 this season, and a strong contender for biggest wild-card of the year. Tupuola-Fetui's injury is a huge blow for the defense, but yet I have confidence that the QB situation will work itself out. I guess we'll have to wait for November 6th to see how good the Huskies will really be in 2021.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Colorado

Preview segment: The Colorado Buffaloes

Last season: It might have been a short season, but there WERE some encouraging signs for Colorado football in 2020 as they got 4 wins and a berth in the Alamo Bowl. Now coach Karl Dorrell is hoping to contend for the PAC-12 title again. But WILL they?

Good news: Much like Washington, Colorado will have a strong running game to help them out thanks to a good O-line and two great running backs. QB Sam Noyer showed flashes of greatness...

Bad news: ...but he went through surgery in the spring. That means the QB spot could be a issue unless Noyer shows sighs of improvement. The defense needs an upgrade, especially when it comes to forcing turnovers.

Key games:
9/11 vs. Texas A&M [in Denver, CO] (So wait a minute. We're NOT gonna have the "Rocky Mountain Showdown" this year, yet Colorado will get to be in Denver to host a Texas A&M team breaking in a new QB? Sounds exciting to me!)
9/18 vs. Minnesota (And then they'll host the Golden Gophers in Boulder? That sounds even more exciting!)
9/25 @ Arizona State (Okay, on to serious business; Colorado really has a tough early road to travel. And it'll get harder entering PAC-12 play, as their first 2 conference games will be against the Sun Devils...)
10/2 vs. USC (...and the Trojans.)
11/26 @ Utah (Since the "Rumble in the Rockies" rivalry had restarted, Utah has won 8 of 10 meetings with Colorado. The Buffaloes must try to reverse that trend.)

Bottom line: Colorado has some optimism going their way after an okay 2020 season. But the schedule (where the Buffaloes must also play Oregon and Washington) is brutal and the defense needs some help.
Thankfully, if Colorado can somehow fix these problems, they could indeed compete for the PAC-12 South.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Washington

The first preview segment for the PAC-12 Conference: The Washington Huskies

Last season: Straight-up bizarre. The Huskies never played a road game, only played 4 games total, but they were going to go to the PAC-12 title game before COVID struck? And yet people are optimistic about a title push for Washington this year?

Good news: The offense returns it's entire O-line, which is good news for a good group of RB's. The linebackers look good on defense.

Bad news: But the defense still needs some help in getting a pass-rush, no doubt thanks to Zion Tupuola-Fetui getting injured in the spring. Oh, and there's no go-to wide receiver at the moment for the Huskies.

2021 X-factor: QB Dylan Morris- Dylan SHOULD be more comfortable in his 2nd year as Washington's starting QB. But if Dylan doesn't work out, I'll bet you that the coaches will give 5-star recruit Sam Huard a try as the head man.

Key games:
9/11 @ Michigan (Never mind that this will be Washington's first road game in 21 months; this will still be a must-watch for the CFB fans... and a must-win for both teams.)
10/30 @ Stanford (Is Stanford really recovering from a couple of lean years? The Huskies' defense will soon find out.)
11/6 vs. Oregon (The biggest game for Washington this season. Like Lindy's magazine says "The Huskies can't own the Pacific Northwest until they start beating the Ducks".)
11/13 vs. Arizona State (Trouble for Washington is, they have to host the Sun Devils right after that emotional Oregon game.)
11/26 vs. Washington State (Yay! Another tender reunion between in-state rivals, as the "Apple Cup" starts up again.)

Bottom line: Washington is the wild-card in the PAC-12 this season, and a strong contender for biggest wild-card of the year. Tupuola-Fetui's injury is a huge blow for the defense, but yet I have confidence that the QB situation will work itself out. I guess we'll have to wait for November 6th to see how good the Huskies will really be in 2021.
If Dylan Morris is the X factor for the season then we should just crown Oregon the North championship

Boise4Life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Colorado

Preview segment: The Colorado Buffaloes

Last season: It might have been a short season, but there WERE some encouraging signs for Colorado football in 2020 as they got 4 wins and a berth in the Alamo Bowl. Now coach Karl Dorrell is hoping to contend for the PAC-12 title again. But WILL they?

Good news: Much like Washington, Colorado will have a strong running game to help them out thanks to a good O-line and two great running backs. QB Sam Noyer showed flashes of greatness...

Bad news: ...but he went through surgery in the spring. That means the QB spot could be a issue unless Noyer shows sighs of improvement. The defense needs an upgrade, especially when it comes to forcing turnovers.

Key games:
9/11 vs. Texas A&M [in Denver, CO] (So wait a minute. We're NOT gonna have the "Rocky Mountain Showdown" this year, yet Colorado will get to be in Denver to host a Texas A&M team breaking in a new QB? Sounds exciting to me!)
9/18 vs. Minnesota (And then they'll host the Golden Gophers in Boulder? That sounds even more exciting!)
9/25 @ Arizona State (Okay, on to serious business; Colorado really has a tough early road to travel. And it'll get harder entering PAC-12 play, as their first 2 conference games will be against the Sun Devils...)
10/2 vs. USC (...and the Trojans.)
11/26 @ Utah (Since the "Rumble in the Rockies" rivalry had restarted, Utah has won 8 of 10 meetings with Colorado. The Buffaloes must try to reverse that trend.)

Bottom line: Colorado has some optimism going their way after an okay 2020 season. But the schedule (where the Buffaloes must also play Oregon and Washington) is brutal and the defense needs some help.
Thankfully, if Colorado can somehow fix these problems, they could indeed compete for the PAC-12 South.

Noyer is gone. He left for Oregon State.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Arizona

Preview segment: The Arizona Wildcats

Last season: Despite the short season, we all were able to see that the Arizona Wildcats were rubbish. So Kevin Sumlin is out and now Jedd Fisch is in... and this is Jedd's first head coaching job. Oh boy!

Good news: A new coordinator on defense (that emphasizes an attacking style) should help out that unit somewhat. Arizona's best players look to be at the skill positions (RB and WR); Drake Anderson is the one I'm watching.

Bad news: The offense, though, will still need a lot of work as the starting QB is not known and the O-line has to fill in some holes.

Key games:
9/4 vs. BYU [at Allegiant Stadium in Las Vegas] (BYU will be replacing a LOT of production from last year, so this looks like a winnable opener for the Wildcats.)
9/11 vs. San Diego State (Another chance for Arizona to try and defend the PAC-12 shield.)
10/9 vs. UCLA (If the Arizona offense is running well, they can spring a surprise on the Bruins.)
11/27 @ Arizona State (70-7. Last year Arizona lost to ASU 70-7.)

Bottom line: Arizona hit the transfer market HARD to fill some holes, so maybe Arizona can spring an upset or two this year. But they are still gonna finish last in the PAC-12 South unless the passing game and the defense get much better.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Arizona State

Preview segment: The Arizona State Sun Devils

Last season: :noidea: The Sun Devils was another team that got f--ked hard by the pandemic, but in-between we had a couple of blown leads before a strong closing act.

Good news: The defense that ASU has now could be one of it's best in school history; nearly every starter is back including LB Merlin Robinson and CB Chase Lucas. QB Jayden Daniels and RB Rachaad White are also back.

Bad news: With Frank Darby now in the NFL, some new WR's have to emerge so that opposing defenses don't sit on the run game.

Key games:
10/2 @ UCLA (This California-based team could surprise the Sun Devils if they're not ready.)
10/8 vs. Stanford (See above game.)
10/16 @ Utah (This could be a low-scoring, smash-mouth contest that the PAC-12 South pivots on.)
11/6 vs. USC (It'll be showtime in the desert on this day, as Arizona State hosts the always-tough Trojans. USC has now beaten ASU 3 straight times.)
11/13 @ Washington (The trouble for ASU is, they'll have to travel to Seattle right after playing USC.)

Bottom line: The roster is still loaded, and they're ready to kick the 2020 season to the curb, so the pressure's on for Herm Edwards and his staff to get it done. If the Sun Devils can get past teams like Utah and USC, the South division title may FINALLY come their way in 2021.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Washington State

Preview segment: The Washington State Cougars

Last season: :noidea: ,they only played 4 games.

Good news: The running backs look sensational, and RT Abraham Lucas looks NFL-bound. The linebackers look good as well.

Bad news: Washington State had a great kicker and punter last year, but now they're both gone. The pass rush needs to be WAY better, some more WR's have to emerge, and as for the QB? Well, 3 guys are fighting for the starting job right now.

Key games:
9/18 vs. USC (A big conference opener for the Cougars, who has a chance to trip up the hopeful Trojans.)
10/9 vs. Oregon State (These days, Oregon State has great offenses, so I'm dying to see how Wazzu's defense handles this. Because if they do a great job stopping the Beavers...)
10/16 vs. Stanford (...it'll bode well for when the Cougars host Stanford the following week.)
11/26 @ Washington (You probably know this by now; Washington is the mental hurdle that Washington State must clear to move forward.)

Bottom line: Coach Nick Rolovich never got a chance to feel things out in Pullman last year. But now that he can, fans of the Cougars are hoping for the team to stay afloat in the PAC-12 in 2021. They'll have to fix a LOT of problems, though, if Wazzu wants to compete for the postseason.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Utah

Preview segment: The Utah Utes

Last season: Utah is entering this season on a 3-game winning streak. But all of that became irrelevant last Christmas, when RB Ty Jordan tragically died due to a gunshot accident. Now we all wait to see how the Utes will pay tribute to him this fall.

Good news: Utah always seems to have good defenses, and this year's unit should be no different; watch for the linebackers to be nasty. On offense, Charlie Brewer is coming in from Baylor to be Utah's new starting QB.

Bad news: Wide-receiver is an area of concern, as that position doesn't have too much experience. Also, there's a lot of youth on this team, so combine that with the emotion from the Ty Jordan situation and things could get unpredictable.

Key games:
9/11 @ BYU (BYU doesn't get to play Utah last year, and the Cougars go on to have their best season in years. What will happen when the Utes travel to Provo to see their in-state rivals again?)
10/9 @ USC (Back-to-back games with the USC Trojans...)
10/16 vs. Arizona State (...and the ASU Sun Devils will determine if Utah can be a serious contender for the South division in 2021.)
11/20 vs. Oregon (This should be a fun rematch of the 2019 PAC-12 championship game. You know, the game where Oregon ruined Utah's playoff chances that year?)
11/26 vs. Colorado (Can't forget about this rivalry contest!)

Bottom line: Oh, trust me, Washington is still the big "wild-card" in the PAC-12 for 2021. But Utah is a VERY close 2nd; the defense looks to be great again and I'm hopeful that Charlie Brewer can lead the Utes offense. However, no one really knows what to expect from them after a tragic winter. Chances are, Utah will rally around their fallen comrade and have a fine season. But you never know...

BamaDude

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see the narrative around the PAC 12 changing this year, even though I don't think the league will be that bad. The problem is the league has five top 25 caliber teams IMO but nobody who is in the top 10. Without someone emerging as a serious playoff contender, the narrative won't change.
I think you hit the nail on the head. In a rather mucked-up covid-19 season, none of the Pac teams built up any kind of carry-over momentum, so 2021 will almost be like starting from scratch (with the possible exception of Arizona St. - but they will be facing other problems that could hamper their progress).

I'm not sure there's a team on the west coast that would rank higher than 12th, but between the Pac, the Mountain West & BYU, you could probably scrape together 5 or 6 Top 25-caliber teams.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oregon

Preview segment: The Oregon Ducks

Last season: Somehow, someway, Oregon was able to get their 2nd-straight PAC-12 title last year. This despite Washington having a better record than them and despite losses to Oregon State and Cal. But there's no doubt about it THIS year; Oregon's the class of the conference this time.

Good news: Thanks to having outstanding recruiting classes for 3 years straight now, Oregon has fine depth across the board. The secondary has the chance to lead the entire defense. The offense could be a monster with a strong O-line, Anthony Brown stepping in at QB, and the skill positions loaded with talent.

Bad news: If Anthony Brown struggles, the QB position could become a free-for-all. The interior of the defense needs some sprucing up, especially on the D-line.

Key games:
9/11 @ Ohio State (Look on the bright side, Ducks. Yeah, going to Columbus is scary, but at least the Buckeyes are starting over at QB. Get to the new guy, and this game is yours!)
10/2 @ Stanford (Experts are saying that "Stanford is getting back on track" in the PAC-12. That is definitely NOT what the Ducks want to hear.)
11/6 @ Washington (If Oregon just remains calm and defeat the Huskies, they SHOULD win the North division this time around.)
11/20 @ Utah (Facing a hard-nosed Utah team in Salt Lake City? Always a hard assignment.)
11/27 vs. Oregon State (For a team that's been dominating the "Civil War" in recent years, losing to the Beavers 41-38 last year was a HUGE shock to the system.)

Bottom line: With all of this talent that Oregon has stockpiled (and the return to the 12-game schedule), the Ducks are a trendy pick to win more headlines and take the PAC-12 title once again. As a playoff contender, though? I guess that depends on how Anthony Brown and the Ducks do in Columbus this September...

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you hit the nail on the head. In a rather mucked-up covid-19 season, none of the Pac teams built up any kind of carry-over momentum, so 2021 will almost be like starting from scratch (with the possible exception of Arizona St. - but they will be facing other problems that could hamper their progress).

I'm not sure there's a team on the west coast that would rank higher than 12th, but between the Pac, the Mountain West & BYU, you could probably scrape together 5 or 6 Top 25-caliber teams.

I wouldn’t expect BYU or the MWC to produce a top 25 team this year.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Southern California

Preview segment: The USC Trojans

Last season: Call me crazy, but do you wanna know who in the PAC-12 came out looking the best last year? Their old stand-by dynasty, the USC Trojans! USC was the school that was instrumental in getting the PAC-12 to actually play football last year, and then they win some close games to have an undefeated regular season.
Now if only USC was able to beat Oregon for the PAC-12 title last December. That would have made 2020 REALLY great for the Trojans!

Good news: After a couple of iffy years, USC's recruiting looks to be back on track. The defensive line is LOADED with talent, the WR group can stretch the field, and QB Kedon Slovis is back. And Kedon did have his moments of glory last year.

Bad news: Thing is, Kedon needs to be more consistent with his play. The O-line will miss Alijah Vera-Tucker and could be a big question mark. And special teams could also use an upgrade.

Key games:
9/11 vs. Stanford (USC will have 2 heart-warming reunions with some bitter rivals this year. And the first one is against Stanford, who USC will be meeting for the 99th time.)
10/9 vs. Utah (Probably the best performance USC put in last year was when they handled Utah in Salt Lake City. This year, Utah's defense will again be a stiff test.)
10/23 @ Notre Dame (And here's the other rival reunion USC will have this year. The Trojans will have a bye week to prep for this.)
11/6 @ Arizona State (If the Trojans can't overpower Arizona State this time around, they can wave bye-bye to the PAC-12 South title.)
11/20 vs. UCLA (Whoops, can't forget this one! Last year, USC won a wild 43-38 affair in Pasadena.)

Bottom line: People are saying that Clay Helton is on the hot seat again in L.A. (so what else is new?), and they're wondering if he can fix the offensive problems USC has. But the schedule's easier than at first glance, and the defense looks very good.
So maybe all Clay has to do is fix the offensive inconsistences, and USC can contend for the PAC-12 title again to save Clay's bacon. The Notre Dame and Arizona State games looms large, however.

Boise4Life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn’t expect BYU or the MWC to produce a top 25 team this year.
Well you’d likely be wrong then because the MWC typically produces anywhere from one to three ranked teams at season’s end. Only twice in the last 20 years has that not happened. I got tired of looking at anything beyond the last 20 seasons.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cal

Preview segment: The California Golden Bears

Last season: :noidea: ,they only played 4 games. At least Cal was able to beat Oregon... for what that was worth in 2020.

Good news: Cal's O-line is currently the deepest it had been in years, and QB Chase Garbers is back for one more year. Linebackers Cameron Goode and Kuony Deng decided to return to Cal too, and the defense should be better for it.

Bad news: Special teams costed Cal 2 games last year, so that unit needs some help. The defense lost Brett Johnson in the spring (due to a car accident), I can't find a go-to WR on Cal's roster, and if Garbers gets hurt there are no experienced backups at QB.

Key games:
9/4 vs. Nevada (We'll see how good Cal can be very early on, as their season opener is against a Nevada team dreaming of big things.)
9/11 @ TCU (And then right after that, Cal must travel to Fort Worth to face the Frogs.)
10/15 @ Oregon (The Golden Bears will get another chance to shock the Ducks on a Friday night in Eugene.)
11/13 vs. USC (Cal's last 3 games of the year will be against their in-state rivals. They'll start by hosting the Trojans...)
11/20 @ Stanford (...and then they'll have another emotional battle for the "Stanford Ax" before finishing at UCLA.)

Bottom line: The Golden Bears sound optimistic heading into the 2021 season, and they DO have some good things going for them. But the schedule is rough and the offense needs a kick in the pants, so it'll be "wait and see" for these pack of Bears. A bowl berth looks attainable, though.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oregon State

Preview segment: The Oregon State Beavers

Last season: For most of the 2020 season, it was just plain unlucky in Corvallis, Oregon as the Beavers lost close game after close game. Yet, the Beavers are still optimistic about climbing up the PAC-12 this year.

Good news: Line play should be exceptional for Oregon State this year; the D-line has a lot of experience and the O-line should be the best in the PAC-12 and one of the best in the nation.

Bad news: The QB spot is a little bit muddled, and OSU needs to find a replacement for departed RB Jermar Jefferson. Improving their run defense is a must for the Beavers D.

Key games:
9/4 @ Purdue (A fun-looking opener between the PAC-12 and the Big 10. How will Oregon State's offense perform right out of the gate?)
10/2 vs. Washington (The Huskies were just one of the teams Oregon State couldn't put away last year.)
10/23 vs. Utah (Another chance for the Beavers to avenge a close loss from last year.)
11/13 vs. Stanford (Ditto.)
11/27 @ Oregon (Last year's "Civil War" was a doozy, as the Beavers shocked the Ducks 41-38. Let's hope we get another thriller in this rivalry this year!)

Bottom line: The record might not show it, but Jonathan Smith has done a good job so far in Corvallis; the Beavers have an identity and hope for the future. Maybe all they need to do to get their first bowl berth in 9 years is fix some inconsistencies on the defense and find more playmakers on offense. If they do that, those close decisions will start to go their way.

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well you’d likely be wrong then because the MWC typically produces anywhere from one to three ranked teams at season’s end. Only twice in the last 20 years has that not happened. I got tired of looking at anything beyond the last 20 seasons.

I could be wrong but it doesn't look like a strong year for the MWC honestly. It's possible the champ gets thrown in at 24 or 25 but I wouldn't be surprised to see nobody ranked at the end of the year.