• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is Trent Baalke Andy Reid 2.0

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He hit on a few, no question, but he has missed a lot. There just seems to be talk about how he's one of the top in the business and I dont see that. I see him more as middle of the pack.

It's still early though for him. His recent moves have made me question him more and more.

And also by the way, I dont really give Baalke credit or criticism for that 2010 draft(Davis, Iupati). I dont know how much of it was actually him when Mc Scotty left right before the draft.

From what I've read that draft was Baalke. So let me make sure I have this right, some of the most important positions to get down in the NFL are the qb, a pass rusher, and to make sure you have a good strong O-line. Baalke hit on Aldon Smith, Kaepernick (despite his flaws there are about 25 teams that would trade their qb in a second for him), and Davis and Iupati. Yet he's the Andy Reid of the NFL? Jesus. No GM is perfect (except maybe Ozzie Smith), but I'd rather have a GM that hit it on those positions than one who can draft wide receivers like Matt Millen and nothing else.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
From what I've read that draft was Baalke. So let me make sure I have this right, some of the most important positions to get down in the NFL are the qb, a pass rusher, and to make sure you have a good strong O-line. Baalke hit on Aldon Smith, Kaepernick (despite his flaws there are about 25 teams that would trade their qb in a second for him), and Davis and Iupati. Yet he's the Andy Reid of the NFL? Jesus. No GM is perfect (except maybe Ozzie Smith), but I'd rather have a GM that hit it on those positions than one who can draft wide receivers like Matt Millen and nothing else.

He even swindled Ozzie Smith into trading Boldin for a 6th round pick. Baalke is the best at what he does, you guys are forgetting he also brought in Bowman, who's arguably the best ILB in the NFL.

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His running ability is his only saving grace. If not for that there would be no question he is a mediocre QB.

I want to make my position clear. I dont criticize Kaep solely for blowing the NFCCG. I criticize him because his game is deserving of criticism.

As far as Baalke goes, I have zero problem with the moves he has made so far this offseason. I think he is one of the better GMs in the league.

Kap is far from being perfect. He certainly has his flaws. If he wasn't a dual threat, then I would agree he is mediocre to this point in his career. He has only started for less than two seasons. But because of his running ability, I believe he is a top ten QB. My wish is that he works on his weaknesses this off season. I'm not going to elaborate on those because most of us know what he needs to work on to move to the next level.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Are you considering age, contract, and system (HC, etc.)? Or is this a transcendent Top 7 thing? I feel Harbaugh is best for Kaepernick, Roman is not, and there are a lot of those 25 who I believe would have f'ed it up with Kaepernick. Taking him now, after they've seen him, I still think they'd do a disservice to Kaepernick, and some of their QBs might fit better than what they would try to fit Kaepernick as. They could still do it and they'd be optimistic because Kaepernick is good, but if it were for next season, I'd put the over/under 25 as under. I think more than 7 would take a while to consider it and decline, not that I think they are all better or will be.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Offensively that Eagles team was very, very finesse, and relied entirely too much on the pass. That formula rarely worked in the playoffs. We're a run-first, power running team, which DOES work in the playoffs.

But we aren't. Saying we are doesn't make us one. We can't move the ball on the ground at all against any of the better defenses we see; especially in the playoffs. Have you forgotten all the "Gore up the gut for no gain" nonsense from last year?

bigninerfan56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just looked up the stats.

49ers run the ball 55% of the time and pass 45% of the time. One of the few teams left that still runs the ball more than passes.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just looked up the stats.

49ers run the ball 55% of the time and pass 45% of the time. One of the few teams left that still runs the ball more than passes.

We seem to have one gameplan for the regular season and one for the playoffs. We have one level of production for the regular season and one for the playoffs - both run and pass. Related? A good thing? I know you want to keep it in the bag, but would we be more effective as a team if we were more similar in the two phases on the NFL season (reg and playoffs)?

erckm510

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He hit on a few, no question, but he has missed a lot. There just seems to be talk about how he's one of the top in the business and I dont see that. I see him more as middle of the pack.

It's still early though for him. His recent moves have made me question him more and more.

And also by the way, I dont really give Baalke credit or criticism for that 2010 draft(Davis, Iupati). I dont know how much of it was actually him when Mc Scotty left right before the draft.

He also drafted Bowman in 2010.

Niner fans get too hung up on the 2012 draft. If you look back on that draft most of the teams had very crappy drafts(Seattle had by far the best draft which is probably why it hurts so much). Every GM has bad drafts including the great Newsome or Belichick.

Baalke's record of draft picks still contributing to the team is very good and his FA moves have been pretty savvy. He would be in my top 7 for GM's.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He also drafted Bowman in 2010.

Niner fans get too hung up on the 2012 draft. If you look back on that draft most of the teams had very crappy drafts(Seattle had by far the best draft which is probably why it hurts so much). Every GM has bad drafts including the great Newsome or Belichick.

Baalke's record of draft picks still contributing to the team is very good and his FA moves have been pretty savvy. He would be in my top 7 for GM's.

Lets see how the 2013 draft turns out with all the red shirted players.

mylie10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Baalke has been pretty good over-all but has a blind spot in regards to drafting wide receivers. We'll see this year if he can change that trend.

I would also like to see them dump Greg Roman and go in another direction.

Agree with Patterson above that the jury is out on the last draft, because Tank Carradine and Lattimore could be very good.

erckm510

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lets see how the 2013 draft turns out with all the red shirted players.

Why? That draft as it stands right now is good. Reid is a stud starter and Lemonier and Patton showed flashes as rookies.

Tank and Lattimore red-shirting doesn't change that. If they actually turn out to be good then it's a great draft.

Badger8843

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a big fan of our entire front office, one of the best in the biz right now

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
*Good at drafting defensive talent
*able to field really good teams that come up a bit short
*seemingly unwilling to make short-term moves to put the talent level over the top when the team's Super Bowl window is open
*Has a vastly overrated QB

I'm seeing some eerie similarities between this 49ers' team & the Eagles of the early to mid 2000's.
I wouldn't compare the two teams or HCs,etc as a whole. Good points about the drafting talent and falling just short of the prize as a comparison. I tend to agree about some FA moves to get over the top to win the SB but how many FA players would have done that this year? It's a bit different than our last SB victory. I also would never say that Kap is 'vastly overrated'. He needs alot of skill progression but still has the ability to make something happen. I will give him one more season to prove this.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why? That draft as it stands right now is good. Reid is a stud starter and Lemonier and Patton showed flashes as rookies.

Tank and Lattimore red-shirting doesn't change that. If they actually turn out to be good then it's a great draft.
I did a bit of head scratching on that draft but I do see promise on many levels.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
We seem to have one gameplan for the regular season and one for the playoffs. We have one level of production for the regular season and one for the playoffs - both run and pass. Related? A good thing? I know you want to keep it in the bag, but would we be more effective as a team if we were more similar in the two phases on the NFL season (reg and playoffs)?

in the play-offs, there are only good teams. this applies to most play-off teams.

Last edited by a moderator:

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
in the play-offs, there are only good teams. this applies to most play-off teams.

But it gets better in the pass and worse in the run. They say that run offenses are good for the playoffs, but our distribution and production shifts to the pass in the playoffs. If good teams were the difference, we should have a problem in both, maybe - unless they really are expecting the run and it opens the pass.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 506.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is exactly how we got this fucking "whiner" label.

We went from a perennial loser for almost a full decade, now we are a title contender every season under Harbaugh and Baalke, yet people can't stop bitching about the dumbest things. Baalke has a strategy in mind that will allow us to legitimately compete for a championship every season, yet that isn't good enough.

The funny thing is if he blows his load and sacrifice our future cap for a few high priced free agents, and we still don't win the superbowl, watch how many of these same people bitch and moan about him being a bad GM as we go right back into the basement.

That is a good post. In this era, no team is a lock for the SB. The best you can shoot for is...
1) Win your division
2) Win HFA
3) Remain somewhat healthy.
4) Have luck on your side.

Those 4 ingredients add tremendously to a teams chances of winning. Once a team makes the playoffs, reel off a few wins and it's Badda Bing Badda BOOM!