• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is this the end of the Paul Johnson/triple option era at Georgia Tech?

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
probably so for real

Paul Johnson is actually one of the best coaches in the ACC to me, and probably one of the best X's and O's guys in the country..... but you can fucking not take anything close to a next step while running the triple option at a power 5 school. You can not sell national relevancy at all and you can not sell an NFL future. You are stuck with taking guys with no serious NFL aspirations and you can't land players that other P5 schools actually want because of that.

Basically all he can do is try to find a "QB" that is under recruited, can run but also have some throwing ability and catch lighting in a bottle that way. They made a good Defensive coordinator hire but they would actually have to keep Johnson around a few more years to see the effects.

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another option, Troy Calhoun from Air Force and I'm not just saying this because I really want him out of the Mountain West since they basically own us.

Calhoun runs the option now since he's at a service academy, but in all reality he's not actually married to it.

He could be perfect for the transition from option to a regular offense.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not all that different than Notre Dame or Stanford ect. Though from my understanding.

Nope, but still more difficult than 90% of FBS schools.

It’s not like Stanford or ND have been world beaters over the past 10 years. How many times has Stanford won the Pac12, or was in the CCG over the past decade or so?

ND has had its trouble too, although they did make a national championship game in the past 6-8 years.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another option, Troy Calhoun from Air Force and I'm not just saying this because I really want him out of the Mountain West since they basically own us.

Calhoun runs the option now since he's at a service academy, but in all reality he's not actually married to it.

He could be perfect for the transition from option to a regular offense.

If PJ can’t create a consistently good team using the triple option, imo no one can. It just won’t work at the power 5 level. I think PJ has proved that, and he is the best at it. It can have some success, but not consistent success.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope, but still more difficult than 90% of FBS schools.

It’s not like Stanford or ND have been world beaters over the past 10 years. How many times has Stanford won the Pac12, or was in the CCG over the past decade or so?

ND has had its trouble too, although they did make a national championship game in the past 6-8 years.

It takes the right leadership at the top for sure. I remember ND relaxing some of its standards when Holtz was there and poof, a NC magically happened. IIRC one of the reasons Lou left was that they were putting a stop to some of that and he knew that the ride was over when that happened.
GT wouldn't have to go all wild west but imo they could help their coach a little if football meant what it does at most schools.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It takes the right leadership at the top for sure. I remember ND relaxing some of its standards when Holtz was there and poof, a NC magically happened.
GT wouldn't have to go all wild west but imo they could help their coach a little if football meant what it does at most schools.

Absolutely!

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Basically all he can do is try to find a "QB" that is under recruited, can run but also have some throwing ability and catch lighting in a bottle that way. They made a good Defensive coordinator hire but they would actually have to keep Johnson around a few more years to see the effects.

most definitely

damn if Paul Johnson and Bud Foster don't be having some good chess matches though

olympicoscar

Life is what you've made of it.
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,999.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And there-in lies the problem. Their administration doesn't give much of a shit about sports outside of the bare minimum and it shows all over their football program in antique facilities, athletic gear, and offenses that haven't been popular since @olympicoscar was in high school.

they can't even take their home field without a fucking Model T chaperoning them

In high school, we actually played a team that used the Single Wing. Weird.

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It takes the right leadership at the top for sure. I remember ND relaxing some of its standards when Holtz was there and poof, a NC magically happened. IIRC one of the reasons Lou left was that they were putting a stop to some of that and he knew that the ride was over when that happened.

they need a dude that can sell that dirty south downtown ATL type vibe but are trying to push a driving a cot damn Model T Ford onto the field and singing about engineering type vibe.

Willie Taggart might be looking for a job soon. I hear he has a lot of swag and has some lethally simple offense.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they need a dude that can sell that dirty south downtown ATL type vibe but are trying to push a driving a cot damn Model T Ford onto the field and singing about engineering type vibe.

Willie Taggart might be looking for a job soon. I hear he has a lot of swag and has some lethally simple offense.

I heard that firing Taggert would cost FSU over $50 million. He ain’t going anywhere soon.

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In high school, we actually played a team that used the Single Wing. Weird.
Damn that's some pop warner shit

No i mean literally.......i think pop warner made it. g'damn you is old, brah

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard that firing Taggert would cost FSU over $50 million. He ain’t going anywhere soon.

idk man. If he bombs this year like it's looking like he's going to he definitely wouldn't get more than 2 season out of that job. I'm not 100% sure he gets the second one but he definitely won't take more than 2 shit seasons like that in a row.

olympicoscar

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,999.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn that's some pop warner shit

No i mean literally.......i think pop warner made it. g'damn you is old, brah

It was 1963, and they were undefeated the year before with Frank Solich, of Nebraska fame, as the tailback or key runner or whatever you call the guy running that offense.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
idk man. If he bombs this year like it's looking like he's going to he definitely wouldn't get more than 2 season out of that job. I'm not 100% sure he gets the second one but he definitely won't take more than 2 shit seasons like that in a row.

I heard they are likely stuck for at least 3 years, and even after 3 years it was still around a $20 million buyout. Although, I could have bad info.

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was 1963, and they were undefeated the year before with Frank Solich, of Nebraska fame, as the tailback or key runner or whatever you call the guy running that offense.

yea there are actually plenty of high school offenses that still run stuff like that now

olympicoscar

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,999.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yea there are actually plenty of high school offenses that still run stuff like that now

Only one I ever saw. I did see single platoon football in college football in the early 1950's. Can't remember when it went away.

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard they are likely stuck for at least 3 years, and even after 3 years it was still around a $20 million buyout. Although, I could have bad info.

lol you let WT go 1-11 with the only win being to a shit team like Samford that they actually should have lost to. His seat will get as hot as @moxie's underwear at a Justin Bieber concert. I would bet good money that wouldn't be dealt with twice in a row.

(not that i think that will happen... i still kinda think they pull some of their shit together by the end of the season)

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol you let WT go 1-11 with the only win being to a shit team like Stanford that they actually should have lost to. His seat will get as hot as @moxie's underwear at a Justin Bieber concert. I would bet good money that wouldn't be dealt with twice in a row.

(not that i think that will happen....but i still kinda think they pull some of their shit together by the end of the season)

I can’t imagine they wouldn’t get bbq’d, being a state school, if they paid a coach $30+ million to leave. I’m sure they could get some boosters to foot the bill, but it would be a HORRIBLE PR move for the school imo.

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can’t imagine they wouldn’t get bbq’d, being a state school, if they paid a coach $30+ million to leave. I’m sure they could get some boosters to foot the bill, but it would be a HORRIBLE PR move for the school imo.

Terrible on many fronts....but that kind of shit won't be tolerated there long in worst case scenarios for the rest of their season. Football is too important to them and there is too much competition close by not to pull that trigger at some point reasonably early. They saw what happened to post Big East Miami and post Urban Meyer Florida. It's doesn't take much (in that area of the country especially) to completely lose your momentum and lose any reasonable chance at fielding what your fans are going to consider an acceptable product.

corn train

Have some of it
Hoopla Cash
$ 76,445.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn’t seem like too big of a chore transitioning to a zone read offense with the right qb