• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is This a Great Picture?

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Harbaugh much better than Payton and I think in ten years or less we may see that he's better than Payton. But no one has mentioned coaching because Payton has to have the benefit of the doubt over the rookie. People would mention the on-side kick in the superbowl and the going for it every time* this year. Once that doesn't work out and we win because of his gamble finally not paying off, we may see coaching mentioned... then again, doesn't Harbaugh gamble? (When he's not playing Dallas)

Payton's legacy is polished with good fortune. He's considered a gutsy genius, because his onside worked... and a tactician because Drew Brees converted all of those 4th downs in the recent Lions game. Just as easily, he could have been envisioned as a joke, if his players didn't follow through and cash in his bets.

I don't mean to rant, but I think it is crazy that his "genius" is based on the pure chance and good fortune of lucky bounces and reliance on spectacular QB play... while a bum like Walsh had to carve his genius out of changing the offensive game forever.

I mean seriously, think about this ironic fact, the 49ers turned their back on Walsh by firing Mooch and hiring Erickson, from there they went to Nolan, followed by Singletary. Three coaches who didn't embrace Walsh's offense, and the 49ers sucked for almost a decade... and then they hire a guy like Harbaugh who admires Walsh and wants to emulate him, and they are suddenly 13-3.

You tell me, is genius calling an onside kick, or going for it on 4th down... or is it creating a team philosophy that stands the test of time?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Payton's legacy is polished with good fortune. He's considered a gutsy genius, because his onside worked... and a tactician because Drew Brees converted all of those 4th downs in the recent Lions game. Just as easily, he could have been envisioned as a joke, if his players didn't follow through and cash in his bets.

I don't mean to rant, but I think it is crazy that his "genius" is based on the pure chance and good fortune of lucky bounces and reliance on spectacular QB play... while a bum like Walsh had to carve his genius out of changing the offensive game forever.

I mean seriously, think about this ironic fact, the 49ers turned their back on Walsh by firing Mooch and hiring Erickson, from there they went to Nolan, followed by Singletary. Three coaches who didn't embrace Walsh's offense, and the 49ers sucked for almost a decade... and then they hire a guy like Harbaugh who admires Walsh and wants to emulate him, and they are suddenly 13-3.

You tell me, is genius calling an onside kick, or going for it on 4th down... or is it creating a team philosophy that stands the test of time?

I think Payton is lucky, but then again I don't like Payton. I assume you were adding on what I was saying about media perception, but just in case you thought my mention of the on-side kick and fourth down conversions was me saying he's a genius, it's not true. If you base your success on luck you will soon be unlucky. (<-- Ha, if I thought Andrew Luck was a bust that's what I'd say) Base your success on proven principles (and sometimes unproven but well-thought theoretical experiments) and you may have something.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yeah... you seem to be the only one who refers to me as '82. It seems everyone says MHS, which for some reason I think it stands for some drug or multiple sclerosis. It's like someone calling you MW49e. Not that I mind being called MHS, I just think it's funny.

Another thing I noticed was seyheykid1 quoting himself to talk to EKMane. Not making fun of seyheykid, cause it isn't a bad thing, I just thought that was funny. Didn't think I should mention that in that thread because I could get struck by the crossfire. Though, have I opened myself up for some direct fire, here? Seyheykid1, I mean no harm!

By-the-way, I've quoted myself before when no one else bothered to. :kickingcan: Inconsiderate non-quoters! Don't they know I feel left out?

(P.S. I really only quote myself to follow up on a mistake I make but am too late to edit or that I said I would follow up with)

LOL!!! Some drug or Multiple Sclorosis...

Yeah, I always abbreviate to cut down on keystrokes and you just kind of became '82 - I think I started that with you over on ESPN...Is that okay? I have been known as M-Dub, MW, 9er5 or just 5

I did see Sayhey's post and became totally confused. I kept looking for a missing post or something - strange indeed.

Last edited by a moderator:

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Payton is lucky, but then again I don't like Payton. I assume you were adding on what I was saying about media perception, but just in case you thought my mention of the on-side kick and fourth down conversions was me saying he's a genius, it's not true. If you base your success on luck you will soon be unlucky. (<-- Ha, if I thought Andrew Luck was a bust that's what I'd say) Base your success on proven principles (and sometimes unproven but well-thought theoretical experiments) and you may have something.

Nope, I was completely adding on to that. I think this year, with Harbaugh openly embracing and promoting Walsh's Way, proves that Bill was a true NFL Genius. Like I said, 3 coaches who didn't care about bill... 10 years of suck... 1 coach who does... 13 wins.

sayheykid1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
You're right that they did, and they do. I think it is mostly because they were both drafted to save the 49ers dreadful passing game, and it just never happened.

After watching that video where Joe Montana sat down and watched the tapes, and then said that the offense sucked. I feel that the criticism for Smith, Davis, and Crabtree is because they were all drafted to turn the offense back into the envy of the entire NFL, and since they haven't delivered, they get knit-picked so much it is sort of ridiculous, and I'm absolutely guilty of knit-picking all three at times, I'm all about joining the mob.:lm:

The thing that maybe none of us realized, is that maybe only Peyton Manning, Rob Gronkowski, and Calvin Johnson could have met our expectations with how "sucky" the 49ers offense was (To steal Montana's opinion) where the only way to get open in 2007-2010 was to simply be uncoverable with a QB who can deliver all day long.

Think about how silly some of the circumstances are, Alex Smith and Vernon Davis figure each other out, which leads to a record setting year for VD... and the next year, Singletary decides that Crabtree should be the big target because his vision is big #1 WR, instead of big #1TE, and it leads to INT after INT as Smith forces it to Crabs in a craptastic offense. I can't remember the exact stat, but last year something like 5 of Smith's first 7 INTs were bad passes to Crabtree as Smith forced passes into coverage to satisfy Singletary. Instead of just adding Crabtree as icing to the cake that Smith and VD just made... and hoping that maybe Crabtree would step into the #1 WR spot, and force the offense to revolve around him. I mean, really, who does that?? That would have been like the Chiefs saying, "Fuck you Tony G, we want our best weapon to be a #1WR not a TE, so we're going away from you to force it to him..."

Is it unfair to Davis and Crabtree? Sure, but it seems like a lot of the criticism to 49ers players on offense is unfair, they have to live up to so much. Plus, it is easy to forget about how shitty the entire offensive scheme has been the last few years... hell, Harbaugh and Co. just slapped us all in the face and reminded us that coaching and scheme are every bit as important as being an extremely talented player, arguably even more important.

If the 49ers are lucky enough to keep Harbaugh and Roman together for say, 3-5 years, I would be willing to bet that by the end of that, we'd all be glad the team didn't give up on Smith/VD/Crabs, who have all been called busts as they were each screwed by changing OC's every single year.

I wholeheartedly agree, great post.

sayheykid1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yeah... you seem to be the only one who refers to me as '82. It seems everyone says MHS, which for some reason I think it stands for some drug or multiple sclerosis. It's like someone calling you MW49e. Not that I mind being called MHS, I just think it's funny.

Another thing I noticed was seyheykid1 quoting himself to talk to EKMane. Not making fun of seyheykid, cause it isn't a bad thing, I just thought that was funny. Didn't think I should mention that in that thread because I could get struck by the crossfire. Though, have I opened myself up for some direct fire, here? Seyheykid1, I mean no harm!

By-the-way, I've quoted myself before when no one else bothered to. :kickingcan: Inconsiderate non-quoters! Don't they know I feel left out?

(P.S. I really only quote myself to follow up on a mistake I make but am too late to edit or that I said I would follow up with)

I realize that I do not always portray myself on these boards in a way I want to. I get caught up in it and go too far at times rather than letting things go or trying harder to understand a poster's intent rather than just picking at their words.

Anyway, all is good on playoff game day. Go Niners!

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I realize that I do not always portray myself on these boards in a way I want to. I get caught up in it and go too far at times rather than letting things go or trying harder to understand a poster's intent rather than just picking at their words.

Anyway, all is good on playoff game day. Go Niners!

Good post! Enjoy the game, kid1

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After today's game, I wish the rest of the team were as un-athletic as VD

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
After today's game, I wish the rest of the team were as un-athletic as VD

Nobody ever claimed Vernon isn't athletic; he's the most athletic TE in the history of the NFL. People say he isn't terribly coordinated. Big difference.

He's like the opposite of Brandon Lloyd: incredibly coordinated but not a great athlete.

BallsOfFury

Next man up
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Nobody ever claimed Vernon isn't athletic; he's the most athletic TE in the history of the NFL. People say he isn't terribly coordinated. Big difference.

He's like the opposite of Brandon Lloyd: incredibly coordinated but not a great athlete.

I'm sure there are a few Saints LBs and DBs who'd seriously disagree with you.
Hey, he can hop up in the air on all the catches he wants to. I could be wrong, but it seems to me he uses that little hop to get his timing down on his receptions. It works for him, no matter how it looks to critics out there. Hard to argue with 7 for 180 & 2 tds.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00

Why? Its noy like he juked 'em or caught the ball in some weird, awkward position. Dude simply out-ran 'em. Today was a case of them just eating Vernon's dust.

By the way I never said he's uncoordinated. I just said he isn't "incredibly coordinated." He's not the most graceful TE in the league, but he more than makes up for it with his athleticism.

sayheykid1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Hey, he can hop up in the air on all the catches he wants to. I could be wrong, but it seems to me he uses that little hop to get his timing down on his receptions. It works for him, no matter how it looks to critics out there. Hard to argue with 7 for 180 & 2 tds.

Hell Yeah!

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Indeed! My man love was strong today!

Yeah, I loved it too. Vernon played the way we envisioned him playing when he was drafted #6. Some great throws by Smith helped him catch the ball in stride, as well as run under those couple. I didn't see him leave is feet on any of those passes. The offense has to be playing with supreme confidence now, we'll need it moving forward. You should've seen me actin a fool in the sports book. We spent this weekend in Lake Tahoe and it was filled with 49er fans.

**Side note: I hope we come out next week throwing to Crabtree. Those 3 drops on a big stage could really knock his confidence. They have to make sure he has it during this run. It looked pretty bad.