• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is there enough money for Wilson, Avril and Wagner

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After seeing the change in this team when Wagner returned from injury, I think you could make a ccase for Wagner being more important to the team than Wilson.

I don't know how much money they will have to manuever under the cap next year but my order of priority for re-signing players with expiring contracts would be:

1. Wagner
2. Wilson
3. Avril
4. Whoever is left. KJ Wright?
I also wouldn't cut Lynch to accumulate more cap space. I think he has another solid year of productivity left in him.

STBR 27

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After seeing the change in this team when Wagner returned from injury, I think you could make a ccase for Wagner being more important to the team than Wilson.

I don't know how much money they will have to manuever under the cap next year but my order of priority for re-signing players with expiring contracts would be:

1. Wagner
2. Wilson
3. Avril
4. Whoever is left. KJ Wright?
I also wouldn't cut Lynch to accumulate more cap space. I think he has another solid year of productivity left in him.

Wilson is the #1 priority as he stands to be here for probably 10 years. Wagner is #2 IMO. Avril will have to play for less than he is worth if he wants to stay and I might be surprised if he actually is still here next year. Clemons was better than Avril and he was not resigned.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wilson is the #1 priority as he stands to be here for probably 10 years. Wagner is #2 IMO. Avril will have to play for less than he is worth if he wants to stay and I might be surprised if he actually is still here next year. Clemons was better than Avril and he was not resigned.

True, Wilson has more shelf life than Wagner. I took that into consideration. But I'm also taking into considerration how effective Wilson will be when he no longer has Lynch in the backfield. Can he develop into a great passer like other short QBs he is frequently compared to (Brees and Tarkenton)? I don't know.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have to figure out a way to sign both Wilson and Wagner. Look at how the defense completely turned around once Wagner was back in there. We aren't going to find a better ILB than him and he's key to this defense. Avril is basically gone. He's played well in spurts but if we can finally draft a a couple of decent pass rushers we'll be fine.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True, Wilson has more shelf life than Wagner. I took that into consideration. But I'm also taking into considerration how effective Wilson will be when he no longer has Lynch in the backfield. Can he develop into a great passer like other short QBs he is frequently compared to (Brees and Tarkenton)? I don't know.

I wouldn't bet against Wilson.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wilson deserves an O-line just like Felix has deserved a bat or two. Give Russ an O-line and a final year of Lynch, and this team may go undefeated (2015); assuming the defense continues to produce.

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Getting rid of Harvin's contract will help. I remember looking at numbers last year and it appeared at that time that the Seahawks could probably keep 2 out of Wagner, Wright, Maxwell and Avril. This was under the assumption that the Seahawks would have Harvin and not Lynch. If it was up to me I would totally keep Lynch around next season and then let him go (that whole magic age 30 for running backs coupled with the beating he consistently takes every year makes him a huge risk IMO). Lynch's cap hit next year isn't much smaller than Harvin's would have been though, so I don't know if the Seahawks have the room to keep 3 of those guys instead of 2. Maybe if they get really creative with contracts. I agree that Wagner is the biggest must keep of the four. After that it comes down to preference. Can Smith and Irvin pick up the slack at outside linebacker? If so let Wright walk. Can Simon and Lane fill in at corner? If so let Maxwell walk. etc etc. Tough choices that have to be made for sure and as I've said before these are choices I'm glad I don't have to make.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would guess that RW will sign an extension just like Sherm did. Russell will get his share of his guarantee next year and we can also set up roster bonus and other type bonuses so he can get many millions next year while waiting for his contract to go into effect in 2016.
This could free up $5 or $10 million in cap room to sign more folks.
BTW, many disagree with me on this but I think 1 Russ 2 Bobby 3 Maxwell who slayed it again yesterday at CB and the nickle spot.

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would guess that RW will sign an extension just like Sherm did. Russell will get his share of his guarantee next year and we can also set up roster bonus and other type bonuses so he can get many millions next year while waiting for his contract to go into effect in 2016.
This could free up $5 or $10 million in cap room to sign more folks.
BTW, many disagree with me on this but I think 1 Russ 2 Bobby 3 Maxwell who slayed it again yesterday at CB and the nickle spot.

Maxwell has been tremendous since coming back from injury, much better than he was at the start of the season. Given how much Pete and co value cornerbacks, especially big ones, it wouldn't surprise me at all to see the Seahawks keep him.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope to keep him but I think BMax will be huge $...$7-$8M annually would be my guess.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think so. We are working with and extra 7 mil plus rolled over from the Harvin deal. I think Okungs cap number also jumps down next year as well. Also I think you can structure Wagner and Wilsons deals so that cap hit is managable the first couple of years.
I agree with Maxwell, I think I would keep him over KJ at this point if possible. His ability to play outside and in the slot is huge. He was unbelievable yesterday.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As many have said Wilson and Wagner need to be the top priorities. After that I would probably have Maxwell and KJ ahead of Avril. Gonna be interesting to see who is willing to sign for a bit less to stay on the team. Michael Bennett made all that noise about how "This isn't Costco" and signed a pretty decent contract. Golden Tate said he'd take less to stay and ended up going to Detroit.

BHF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,037.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As many have said Wilson and Wagner need to be the top priorities. After that I would probably have Maxwell and KJ ahead of Avril. Gonna be interesting to see who is willing to sign for a bit less to stay on the team. Michael Bennett made all that noise about how "This isn't Costco" and signed a pretty decent contract. Golden Tate said he'd take less to stay and ended up going to Detroit.

I don't think you pass on Avril for KJ. Our defense is very LB friendly, and it depends so much on being able to get an effective pass rush without blitzing. Wright may very well be the better player, but a decent pass rusher like Avril is harder to find.

That said, I agree that the first three priorities have to be Russ, Wags, and Max. In that order.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think you pass on Avril for KJ. Our defense is very LB friendly, and it depends so much on being able to get an effective pass rush without blitzing. Wright may very well be the better player, but a decent pass rusher like Avril is harder to find.

That said, I agree that the first three priorities have to be Russ, Wags, and Max. In that order.

You're right. They're hard to find, and you can never have enough pass rushers.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt you have to sign RW to an extension as top priority. Just look around the league at QB position and about 75% don't have what we have and that is a franchise QB. I agree with everyone else that Wags should be next on the list and Avril/Maxwell as third/fourth on that list.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wilson and Wags both get resigned, after that it all depends on how creative the Hawks can get. Maxwell most likely doesn't resigned because i think he might demand more money than he is worth. K.J Wright needs to be resigned no if ands or buts about it, They have to get the most consistently healthy LB locked up. Avril i believe will be gone, unless he accepts some rediculousely low contract number.

Lots more ? this coming off season than last year. But hey we still got this year to play out so lets enjoy it and not fret over what will and can happen in the offseason. We are not there yet.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wilson and Wagner get resign, Lynch remains unless he retires. Seahawks get priced out on Maxwell and KJ Wright gets replaced by someone cheaper most likely. Just my take, for what it's worth. I really feel KJ is replaceable, love his versatility but he really isn't great at anyone thing and the Seahawks have guys on the roster right now that could replace him IMO. Avril will be to expensive.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wilson and Wagner get resign, Lynch remains unless he retires. Seahawks get priced out on Maxwell and KJ Wright gets replaced by someone cheaper most likely. Just my take, for what it's worth. I really feel KJ is replaceable, love his versatility but he really isn't great at anyone thing and the Seahawks have guys on the roster right now that could replace him IMO. Avril will be to expensive.

Agree... Avril isn't going to be worth what his asking price will be... He's been a disappointment this year imo... Agree with your KJ Wright comment as well... Been saying it for a year or so, I think he's definitely replaceable... I believe he's a product of our system and that there are quite a few other guys we could plug in that will have the same productivity, especially with the great secondary and Wagner playing beside him... Wagner is a must sign...

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Kevin Pierre-Louis and Cassius Marsh as replacements perhaps? Both have looked good in their limited playing time this season.