• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is the Spieth "era" over?

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Putting comes and goes. Sometimes you hit great putts and they just don’t go in.

All u can do is trust your line and hit it.

Maybe Jordan is pressing a bit? These guys sometimes play/practice too much. The one thing I know now
Looking back is that I wish I would have given my brain a rest from time to time. A day off here or there helps and grinding day after day too much doesn’t

Hang_On_Sloopy08

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You’ve got to give the kid some credit though. You know for a straight year now every press conference he does he’s asked about his putting? Every TV broadcast and every missed putt comes with bigger and bigger scrutiny. He’s handled himself pretty well thus far under that microscope. It’s gotta be exhausting for him to put up with the continuous questions.

DonMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's much tougher these days for any player to be "dominant" for any length of time. Jack dominated for years because there were arguably only a handful of players that could keep up with him. When Tiger was in his prime, there was more competition compared to Jack's era, but not as much as today. As a side note, IMO it's truly remarkable that Tiger has been able to come back and compete to the level he has, considering all of the physical and other issues he's had to deal with over the years.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let me give you some names.

Johnny Miller
Fuzzy Zoeller
Sandy Lyle
Greg Norman
Ben Crenshaw
Mark O'Meara
Jose Maria Olazabal

They all have only 2 majors, and all are in the golf hall of fame (except Fuzzy. We know why)

Golf coverage in the 20 years or so has taken a toll on some golf fans. Some fans have allowed the golf media to redefine what golf success is.

Jordan has:

11 PGA tour wins not including Majors
3 majors ...won the Masters, US Open & The British Open. I believe one of only 7 players (or less) in the history of the game have won all 3 of these.

PGA Rookie of the year
PGA player of the year
PGA Tour player of the year
PGA Tour leading money winner of the year.
Fed Ex Cup Champion.

ALL BEFORE HE WAS 25.

Now when I see questions like .."is his dominance over?" Looking through the lens of his accompaniments above, that question can seem preposterous.

The history of professional golf make it perfectly clear what is success.

So the question really should be "Why the fuck should Jordan ever need to be dominate again?"

Here is another: When will anybody, especially the golf media grow a pair and go after Ricky Fowler?
There is a guy who rightly deserves some heat for nor having a major title yet but the tour is so desperate for more young fans they need Ricky's popularity. So they don't touch him.

When they need to beat someone up, they just wait for the 4 time major winner Rory to get on the tee, and hit him with 3 negative stats before his ball is in the fairway.

Good post.

Jordan...I think it's a valid question in the sense that he was dominant at one time as was Rory. It's a natural question to wonder what's happened to their games?

But in line with your perspective...in the grand scheme of things, Spieth doesn't need to back up anything at this point...but anytime you've been dominant and have fallen off the horse, there will be questions, especially at such a young age.

Fowler...fair or unfair, he get's a pass. He's the media darling superstar, has a superstar bank account, but doesn't have superstar game.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You’ve got to give the kid some credit though. You know for a straight year now every press conference he does he’s asked about his putting? Every TV broadcast and every missed putt comes with bigger and bigger scrutiny. He’s handled himself pretty well thus far under that microscope. It’s gotta be exhausting for him to put up with the continuous questions.

He has...amazing just how his putting could swing that much.

Also, Spieth is probably learning like Rory has...being a mega golf star is a lot harder than what Tiger made it look like. The scrutiny is tenfold.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's much tougher these days for any player to be "dominant" for any length of time. Jack dominated for years because there were arguably only a handful of players that could keep up with him. When Tiger was in his prime, there was more competition compared to Jack's era, but not as much as today. As a side note, IMO it's truly remarkable that Tiger has been able to come back and compete to the level he has, considering all of the physical and other issues he's had to deal with over the years.

Competition is much greater now than what Jack faced for sure...the guys he did face were pretty stiff, but he played so long that new guys popped along the way. I think the competition is a big part of it, but if we're being honest...success has to be part of it. Nobody in Jack's era or even Tiger's beginning era was signing $200 mil contracts like Rory has done, and Jordan is probably pretty close to that.

Bronco754

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Jordan Spieth "done?"

Don't get me wrong he still Is a great golfer but he is trending in the wrong direction, so is his days of dominance over? Was/is he an overhyped Tiger Woods?

Era?? He had one good year. But I don't watch golf anymore since all they can do anymore (TV & ESPN, etc) is slobber all over a disgusting POS philanderer named Tiger Woods. It's truly sickening to watch them idolize that POS.

SU Nittany Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,096.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He had a chance at the masters last year if it wasn't for that one stupid branch.

As a fun side note, I was on tv easily enough to see that my wife's grandma saw me on reed's final putt.

Hang_On_Sloopy08

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Era?? He had one good year. But I don't watch golf anymore since all they can do anymore (TV & ESPN, etc) is slobber all over a disgusting POS philanderer named Tiger Woods. It's truly sickening to watch them idolize that POS.
giphy.gif

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good post.

Jordan...I think it's a valid question in the sense that he was dominant at one time as was Rory. It's a natural question to wonder what's happened to their games?

But in line with your perspective...in the grand scheme of things, Spieth doesn't need to back up anything at this point...but anytime you've been dominant and have fallen off the horse, there will be questions, especially at such a young age.

Fowler...fair or unfair, he get's a pass. He's the media darling superstar, has a superstar bank account, but doesn't have superstar game.

Simple and honest questions about the status of any players game is always valid.
But the OP phrased it all in a way to suggest he never lived up to the hype.

And it's easy to look a Spieth and wonder what is broken. But nothing is really broken.
It's just the game of golf. Driving, Iron play, wedges, putting & decision making ...It's like a Swiss watch from hell.

They all have to be tuned to near perfection (at the same time) for you to win.

SU Nittany Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,096.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good? That was one of the best seasons ever.

Did he not win a major two seasons later?

Hang_On_Sloopy08

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Simple and honest questions about the status of any players game is always valid.

And it's easy to look a Spieth and wonder what is broken. But nothing is really broken.
It's just the game of golf. Driving, Iron play, wedges, putting & decision making ...It's like a Swiss watch from hell.

Really is like a Swiss Army knife of tools in your bag. You’ve gotta be on with all of them in today's game. But putting especially, you can’t win being an average putter. Tiger was never the best putter in the world, but he was the best under pressure. Almost never saw him miss a putt he needed. But right now Tiger’s putter deserves all the scrutiny Spieth is getting. If Tiger turns the putter on he’ll win a major this year. He’s swinging it beautifully and controlling it for once off the tee.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agreed, at least not physically. But so much of golf is between the ears as Hogan said.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When Tiger was in his prime, there was more competition compared to Jack's era,

That is demonstrably false. The top players during Nickaus' prime were better and mentally tougher. There are more major winners and more multiple major winners during that time compared to the whimpering simps that allowed Tiger to emasculate them.

SU Nittany Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,096.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is demonstrably false. The top players during Nickaus' prime were better and mentally tougher. There are more major winners and more multiple major winners during that time compared to the whimpering simps that allowed Tiger to emasculate them.
Hard hitting facts.

Hang_On_Sloopy08

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

2013: PGA Tour ROY, 1 victory, 3 runner ups, 9 top 10s

2014: 24/27 cuts made, 2 runner ups, 8 top 10s

2015: 5 wins, 2 majors, 15 top 10s

2016: 2 wins, 8 top 10s

2017: 3 wins, 12 top 10s

But yea... Only one good year

giphy.gif

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Spieth is 25 and a multi-millionaire. He already has a resume that gets him into the HOF conversation and he has upwards of 15 +- years of prime physical condition (provided he takes care of his body) to improve it. He'll be fine.

And I agree with everyone that says that Jordan really needs that putter of his to be zoned right in. He's not going to overpower any PGA set-ups or hit 40 yd shots that hook or slice 40 yards on purpose. He needs to be patient and methodical and let his flat stick roll em in.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I used the word "era" pretty much because early on in his career the sports "heads" were saying he was the next Woods and making it seem like he could do no wrong