• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is Steph Curry a top 3 PG of all time?

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love Steph Curry! I watched his Dad growing up, and I have nothing against him or Irving. Me being a Duke fan has nothing to do with my viewpoint, does your fandom have you standing firm with Curry as one of the best three PG's all-time?

Nope, I've indicated from the 2nd post in this entire thread. I said Curry is probably around 5-7 for me at the current state. He could climb as high as 3, but that would take 5-7 more years of peak performance/dominance/titles for him to be considered there. I have Jerry West, Gary Payton, John Stockton and Isiah Thomas ahead of him right now. I think he's passed Jason Kidd and Steve Nash.

I'm absolutely objective on Curry. He's shouldn't be considered 3 and I have him at 7, personally.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In a traditional definition I would say Kyrie is more of a true PG than Curry, yes! But that's not the way the NBA is played now, or did you fail to read what I said?

No you didn't prove me wrong.

You said Kyrie was arguably as good or better than Curry.

Kyrie's simple stats are in the ballpark.

Here is the rest of the story:

Curry has 2 MVP awards and 3 titles to Kyrie's 1.

And when we look at the stats that really matter, it isn't close at all. Just like I said.

Kyrie's career PER is 21.8 and his best season was 25.0
Curry's career PER is 23.8 and his best was 31.5

Kyrie's True Shootings percentage is 56.8 career and his best was 61%
Curry's career is 62.1, his best was 67.5 and he has been 61% or better each of the last 5 years.

Kyrie's career win shares per 48 are .158 and his best is .222
Curry's career is .208 and his best is .318

Kyrie's best career VORP was 4.0 and Curry's was 9.8

Like I said, these two players are not comparable.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who would you say is a traditional PG in today's game? Chris Paul? Ricky Rubio? Russell Westbrook? John Wall? Dame Lillard?

If Steph isn't a PG then no one is a PG anymore.

I don't care what offense you put Curry in. He's going to shoot a lot of 3s because arguably the 3 point shooter of all time.

This is the one sport I did play at a decent level...so I think I know the position. I certainly understand the game has changed since then, but not that much...If you want to call him to be a PG...he's a PG, it's not that big of a deal, but you can't really compare what he's doing to the all time great PGs...they just played the game totally different.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope, I've indicated from the 2nd post in this entire thread. I said Curry is probably around 5-7 for me at the current state. He could climb as high as 3, but that would take 5-7 more years of peak performance/dominance/titles for him to be considered there. I have Jerry West, Gary Payton, John Stockton and Isiah Thomas ahead of him right now. I think he's passed Jason Kidd and Steve Nash.

I'm absolutely objective on Curry. He's shouldn't be considered 3 and I have him at 7, personally.

And Kyrie is not even top 25.

Not close.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the one sport I did play at a decent level...so I think I know the position. I certainly understand the game has changed since then, but not that much...If you want to call him to be a PG...he's a PG, it's not that big of a deal, but you can't really compare what he's doing to the all time great PGs...they just played the game totally different.

Agreed.

The more things shift toward positionless basketball, the more irrelevant these positional debates will be.

Curry is not a true PG, LeBron is not an SF. I have no idea what Anthony Davis is.

None of the best players in today's NBA can be defined by a traditional position. And that is okay.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed.

The more things shift toward positionless basketball, the more irrelevant these positional debates will be.

Curry is not a true PG, LeBron is not an SF. I have no idea what Anthony Davis is.

None of the best players in today's NBA can be defined by a traditional position. And that is okay.

I don't know man. I don't know if there's a guy who fits the category of "Shooting Guard" than Klay.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know man. I don't know if there's a guy who fits the category of "Shooting Guard" than Klay.

Sure. There are some, and he is one. I would argue Klay is more the exception than the rule though.

I was really just talking about the super elite guys though. The MVP candidates. Chris Paul is the closest thing there, IMO, but he is still on the outside looking in for that conversation.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure. There are some, and he is one. I would argue Klay is more the exception than the rule though.

I was really just talking about the super elite guys though. The MVP candidates. Chris Paul is the closest thing there, IMO, but he is still on the outside looking in for that conversation.

I was joking, lol. Klay just gonna shoot. That's what he does.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. To me he's approaching top 5 all time though but for right now give me Magic, Robertson, Stockton, West and payton ahead of him. Possibly Isaiah Thomas (Pistons) ahead of him as well.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The expectations for point guards are very different today.

John Stockton and Jason Kidd would need to change their game to be considered top flight PGs in today's game. Way more of an expectation of playing the pick and roll to get open looks from the perimeter in today's game. Far fewer ISOs that set the play.

Statistically speaking, Curry is as much a PG as any other player in the game today.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The expectations for point guards are very different today.

John Stockton and Jason Kidd would need to change their game to be considered top flight PGs in today's game. Way more of an expectation of playing the pick and roll to get open looks from the perimeter in today's game. Far fewer ISOs that set the play.

Statistically speaking, Curry is as much a PG as any other player in the game today.

We agree the game is played differently...your last sentence maybe spot on, but the thread title speaks to alltime great PGs and where he ranks.

You can't really make that comparison is my point.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. To me he's approaching top 5 all time though but for right now give me Magic, Robertson, Stockton, West and payton ahead of him. Possibly Isaiah Thomas (Pistons) ahead of him as well.

The interesting part about this debate is that Curry has already accomplished more in terms of major accolades than every single PG out there other than Magic.

Only 3 PGs have won the MVP award more than once. Magic, Curry and Nash. Curry's 3 championships are also more than any of the other non-Magic elite PGs.

Now, I do not think championships are a good measure of individual success at all. But, if we are using the same metrics that many say have MJ permantly locked in at #1 GOAT, then Steph Curry arguably has the second most impressive PG resume of all time. The only thing really holding him back is 2 first team all NBA selections.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We agree the game is played differently...your last sentence maybe spot on, but the thread title speaks to alltime great PGs and where he ranks.

You can't really make that comparison is my point.

I just don't get this argument. You are basically saying that we should stop calling players point guards and use that term only in historical context.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't get this argument. You are basically saying that we should stop calling players point guards and use that term only in historical context.

Maybe we should.

I think Curry is a great player...certainly among the GOAT. If I were making my All Time NBA team...Curry would be playing the 2 spot, and Magic the 1 and the OFC would flow through Magic.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I were making my All Time NBA team...Curry would be playing the 2 spot, and Magic the 1 and the OFC would flow through Magic.

giphy.gif

10HtownRebs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,298,636.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2 time league MVP. 3 time NBA champ. Arguably the greatest shooter of all time.

Magic is still the king. And Oscar Robertson is probably No. 2. But is there a PG you would put above Steph after that? Nash? Stockton?

Shooting wise... No

Defensive wise... Many. Major liability on defense

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shooting wise... No

Defensive wise... Many. Major liability on defense

He really isn't though.

He isn't a great defender by any stretch, but he isn't terrible either.

Also, current defensive strategies are pretty tough on PGs with all the pick and roll switches. It was much easier for guys like Stockton and Isaiah Thomas to simply guard the opposing PG. They were good defenders, but they would have had a difficult time guarding guys like Harden and LeBron off switches too.