• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is Ray McDonald the solution at DE?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
So is Ray McDonald, a guy whom I've always loved as a depth player, a long-term starter at LDE in your minds? Has he emerged as the player he looked like in the BCS Championship game against OSU or did he just have an unusually good game against an O-line that is lacking talent and missing Robert Gallery?

He was one of the few players I really wanted the Niners to re-sign. But I always saw him as a guy to work into the rotation. Do you think he's the kind of guy who can go up against playoff O-lines and hold his own if the Niners can acquire or develop a dominant NT?

I was very surprised to see how great he played in both aspects of the game. I'm curious to see what you think.

By the way, just because Haralson had 2 sacks doesn't mean the Niners' problems at OLB are solved. It was one game. Let's not kid ourselves; the dude's been a starter for a long time. We know what he is.

Biggest teem positional needs IMO:

QB
NT
#1 CB / #1 WR (tie)
OLB

...unless DE is still a problem; in which case DE is 3rd IMO.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So is Ray McDonald, a guy whom I've always loved as a depth player, a long-term starter at LDE in your minds? Has he emerged as the player he looked like in the BCS Championship game against OSU or did he just have an unusually good game against an O-line that is lacking talent and missing Robert Gallery?

He was one of the few players I really wanted the Niners to re-sign. But I always saw him as a guy to work into the rotation. Do you think he's the kind of guy who can go up against playoff O-lines and hold his own if the Niners can acquire or develop a dominant NT?

I was very surprised to see how great he played in both aspects of the game. I'm curious to see what you think.

By the way, just because Haralson had 2 sacks doesn't mean the Niners' problems at OLB are solved. It was one game. Let's not kid ourselves; the dude's been a starter for a long time. We know what he is.

Biggest teem positional needs IMO:

QB
NT
#1 CB / #1 WR (tie)
OLB

...unless DE is still a problem; in which case DE is 3rd IMO.

He looked good, so based on the available evidence (1 game) I like it. Durability over a season is something I think we just have to wait and see. I wouldn't remove DE from our list though, still need an eventual replacement for J. Smith.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I don't know about the long term solution at LE, but he's the short term solution there. I think he's the long term solution at RE when Smith finally wears down. I think McDonald is a better fit at RE than LE.

I'd say our biggest needs in order are
QB
CB
NT
OLB

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know about the long term solution at LE, but he's the short term solution there. I think he's the long term solution at RE when Smith finally wears down. I think McDonald is a better fit at RE than LE.

QB
CB
NT
OLB

If Culliver doesn't pan out (though at this point he's been promising), I would almost say :

QB
CB
CB
OLB
NT.

PS - Don't forget about Dobbs!

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
That's kind of what I was thinking. I'd rather have a guy at LDE who's just gonna manhandle the OL than a Dennis Rodman like guy who worms his way through it. I've already started my Ngata 2012 campaign. :)

I'd love it if the Niners traded Justin Smith for either a first rounder or packaged him to trade up for a QB in the draft & then moved Ray to RDE. Wishful thinking of course.

RedneckNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im not sure we need a NT Soap looked pretty solid yesterday. I am still worried about the secondary but the front 7 I was very happy with.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
If there's one player on the roster about whom a one game performance wouldn't change my opinion in the slightest it's Sopoaga. He's been one of those players who's BARELY good enough to keep his starting job for even longer than Haralson. He could have an all-pro' caliber season and I'd still be skeptical.

I think there's about a 9% chance Sopoaga convinces me the Niners don't need a talented NT in the worst way.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

QB
CB
NT
OLB

I agree with all of that. I have always liked McDonald and wanted him to replace Soap. I don't think Soap is the long term solution at NT, but i'm more content with him there than i am at either CB position. I would rather accommodate our needs at QB and CB first.

QB
CB (2)
OLB
NT

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the first year McDonald is coming in as a starter and playing starter minutes. So far he's off to a fantastic start and if he can continue this caliber play through a good duration of the season, I can't see an immediate upgrade anywhere....

I like McDonald and he plays both sides(run/pass) very well. (and i was skeptic about the run)

I have no problems after wk 1.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I agree with all of that. I have always liked McDonald and wanted him to replace Soap. I don't think Soap is the long term solution at NT, but i'm more content with him there than i am at either CB position. I would rather accommodate our needs at QB and CB first.

QB
CB (2)
OLB
NT

The only change I would make to your list is the second CB. I like Carlos Rogers and would like to sign him to a 3 or 4 year contract next year. I think he's a very good CB2. His only problem is catching the ball.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always thought he would be. His snap count anticipation and pass rushing skills bring a different aspect to the 5 that wasn't there with that other staff.