• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is Peyton Manning the most valuable QB of all time?

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Manning has been held back mostly by things out of his control. If he was switched with McNabb he would of won 3 Super Bowls.

manning just played bad in the playoffs while he had one of the top rb's of the past decade.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How 'bout Dan Marino?

I think the premise is about what a dramatic drop off the team has made from a healthy Peyton last year to what could very possibly be an 0-16 season without him. It's hard to include Marino with that in mind because the Dolphins were 9-7 Marino's last year, and went 11-5 both of the next two years. Maybe the best example for him is 1993? They started off 4-1 with Marino until he ruptured his Achilles. The team rallied and went on to find themselves at 9-2, but then lost every other game and finished at 9-7. One of those Marino wins was against the Buffalo Bills in Buffalo, so who knows how that year would have turned out if Marino stayed healthy. Might have been a Cowboys / Dolphins Super Bowl.

ViperVisor

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Edge was 3.9 in the playoffs. A 4.2 overall with Indy.

That is pretty lame. Your QB is a god getting 7.8 yards per attempt and with enough attempts where 300 yard games were common. Consider what Frank Gore has done, 4.7 with passing offense doing 5.95 yards per attempt.

88 rating with 280 yards a game is great in the playoffs just seems less good cause it is Manning and he didn't win games.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
the guy is way over rated if he's so damned good why does he have only 1 count them 1 super bowl ring,,,,,,,I'll tell you why he can't win the big games,he's a choker

Because other than one TE, one WR and two DEs, the remainder of his team wouldn't be starting for another legitimate playoff contender.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Edge was 3.9 in the playoffs. A 4.2 overall with Indy.

That is pretty lame. Your QB is a god getting 7.8 yards per attempt and with enough attempts where 300 yard games were common. Consider what Frank Gore has done, 4.7 with passing offense doing 5.95 yards per attempt.

88 rating with 280 yards a game is great in the playoffs just seems less good cause it is Manning and he didn't win games.

but it was manning's horrible performances that caused the early exits. he played great in the regular season then would choke in the playoffs.

grayghost668

Gun Control,,,,not likely
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because other than one TE, one WR and two DEs, the remainder of his team wouldn't be starting for another legitimate playoff contender.

I still say he was is still overated,Brady never had the great players around him he has 3 SB wins,nah he's just not a guy I would want if I had a team and could chose who I wanted,,,,playing now give me Brady Rodgers Big Ben Briez these 4 guys are as good as him and Brady is head and shoulders better than Manning

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I still say he was is still overated,Brady never had the great players around him he has 3 SB wins,nah he's just not a guy I would want if I had a team and could chose who I wanted,,,,playing now give me Brady Rodgers Big Ben Briez these 4 guys are as good as him and Brady is head and shoulders better than Manning

Cassel went 10-5 the year Brady went down. Big Ben won a super bowl with literally the worst passer rating for a starter in the history of the game. Both those guys have had better supporting casts, especially on the defensive side of the ball.

Manning's supporting cast isn't as bad as they've looked IMO, but they're built to play with Manning. The D is built around high-scoring games and rushing the passer while controlling a lead. They're not in those games without him.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm hoping Luck doesn't wind up with the Colts. It would suck to watch him get wasted on a team that consistently has an awful defense.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
No he's not. If he blew it in the postseason a couple fewer times I might've given it to him. He's top 5 all time easy. If a top 5 all time QB is replaced by a guy who barely belongs in the league (who replaced a guy who doesn't belong in the league any more) the difference is going to look bigger.

But how is going 10-6 in one of the weakest divisions in the league "almost" going 16-0?

grayghost668

Gun Control,,,,not likely
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cassel went 10-5 the year Brady went down. Big Ben won a super bowl with literally the worst passer rating for a starter in the history of the game. Both those guys have had better supporting casts, especially on the defensive side of the ball.

Manning's supporting cast isn't as bad as they've looked IMO, but they're built to play with Manning. The D is built around high-scoring games and rushing the passer while controlling a lead. They're not in those games without him.

there's nothing you can say to change my mind on Manning,,,,over rated as far as I'm concerned

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Cassel went 10-5 the year Brady went down.

Matt Cassell is 10 times better than Curtis Painter or a washed up Kerry Collins.

Big Ben won a super bowl with literally the worst passer rating for a starter in the history of the game.

This is a non-sequitor. Dilfer won one too. And that game was won by a dominant running game & D and an ever more dominant performance by the refs. That was the single worst officiated superbowl I've ever seen.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Is it possible Manning can win MVP without playing a single snap?
I used to say that the Colts are a 4 or 5 win team without Manning, but I might have been giving Polian too much credit.

That is hilarious, partly because it makes sense!

ViperVisor

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Colts failure to find more playmakers on D over the past decade is huge. They got 2 DEs and Bob Sanders.

They have been thrown on 4491 times 02-10, 31 times a game.

140 total INTs.

Ed Reed in that time had 54 INTs and missed 16 games.

Colts pass rush of Freeney all those years and most with Mathis too that INT total is weak.
Defense being built totally on bending but not breaking is idiotic. It is too offense friendly in the 00s and you have to limit the times the other team has a chance.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mike Sando's MVP Watch - NFC West Blog - ESPN

A guy here brought up a pretty good counter-argument to Manning for MVP.

"If Peyton Manning merits MVP consideration, then I nominate Mike Singletary for Coach of the Year for not being in San Francisco," Jason Nawahine added. "Manning under center wasn't going to stop Drew Brees and the Saints from putting up a fifty-burger on that defense."

thespaceman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Not only does the Colts record prove Peyton is the most valuable QB, but it proves how bad a coach Jim Caldwell is.

Jim Caldwell is George Seifert part 2.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Peyton Manning is a hall-of-famer but even HOF QB's can't win SB's without a quality defense. as the seasons go forward this will change - is changing - has changed - but Peyton's window is now closed.

Brady, Brees, or Rodgers may win more SB's relying mainly on offense, but too late for Manning.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the guy is way over rated if he's so damned good why does he have only 1 count them 1 super bowl ring,,,,,,,I'll tell you why he can't win the big games,he's a choker

Great metric to judge a player by. By this measure Marino, Fouts, and Archie Manning were "chokers."

Good grief, do you even think before you spew?