• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is Nagy toast after the season ends?

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure why Ted Phillips is never mentioned when there is talk of the Bears possibly cleaning house. He's been around for a number of regimes even prior to Pace/Nagy. When does he get held accountable?
Depends on how he justified and fought for the hire of GM and Coach. Perhaps he presented a list and findings to the McCaskey family and they made the final call? Or did he do it? I don't have the answer. However, the call is on the McCaskey family. If you do not like it as a fan, choose another team, stop buying tickets to games, stop purchasing "Bears gear" etc. Really the only options for us as fans.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean...Considering the circumstances under which we fired Lovie, letting Nagy return in 2021 would basically scream hypocrisy.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean...Considering the circumstances under which we fired Lovie, letting Nagy return in 2021 would basically scream hypocrisy.
I'm telling you if the Bears announce that Nagy will be returning next season, I'm going to run around my neighborhood stark naked screaming at the top of my lungs!!!

Oh wait, I already do that now. Well I'll do something drastic, that's for sure.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm telling you if the Bears announce that Nagy will be returning next season, I'm going to run around my neighborhood stark naked screaming at the top of my lungs!!!

Oh wait, I already do that now. Well I'll do something drastic, that's for sure.

I'll allow it only if you are screaming "I'M NOT AN IDIOT"

Wild Winnie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lovie was fired by Phil Emery, who kept him for 1 year before hiring his own guy who didn't work in Trestman.

The bears also fired the GM and kept the HC for a lame-duck/pointless year when Jerry Angelo kept Dick Jauron for a year prior to hiring Lovie.

Nagy has 2 years left after this year, Pace 1. Cleaning house is the best case, but following the money? Don't think its out of the realm of possibility Nagy's kept on as a lame-duck.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lovie was fired by Phil Emery, who kept him for 1 year before hiring his own guy who didn't work in Trestman.

The bears also fired the GM and kept the HC for a lame-duck/pointless year when Jerry Angelo kept Dick Jauron for a year prior to hiring Lovie.

Nagy has 2 years left after this year, Pace 1. Cleaning house is the best case, but following the money? Don't think its out of the realm of possibility Nagy's kept on as a lame-duck.

The defense, thus the team, quit Monday after we got throttled in the first half of a game vs our biggest rival...who we had 2 weeks to prepare for. I'm not following any money...Nagy and Pace both gone-Unless-by some miracle-This team becomes what it isn't and what we've hoped for over the next 5 games...but that's not going to happen. We're going to keep doing the same sh*t we've done the past 2 seasons (since mid-2018) in these next 5 games. So it's over. For both of them. They'll get the boot with Mitch.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We have 3 playoff wins this century...All of them under Lovie. He got canned because we couldn't score. The McCaskey family LOVED Lovie. They did not like canning him. Two coaches later...both "offensive gurus"...Our offense is just as bad as any Lovie trotted out there and the production is ZERO in terms of playoff success. Makes me sad. I still understand why we dumped Lovie and think the "but 10 wins" argument is kind of disingenuous...but I would have taken him for the past 8 seasons in a heartbeat over the two schlubs we've had since. Money isn't everything. It matters...but so does principle.

Wild Winnie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have 3 playoff wins this century...All of them under Lovie. He got canned because we couldn't score. The McCaskey family LOVED Lovie. They did not like canning him. Two coaches later...both "offensive gurus"...Our offense is just as bad as any Lovie trotted out there and the production is ZERO in terms of playoff success. Makes me sad. I still understand why we dumped Lovie and think the "but 10 wins" argument is kind of disingenuous...but I would have taken him for the past 8 seasons in a heartbeat over the two schlubs we've had since. Money isn't everything. It matters...but so does principle.

You had me until 'I would have taken Lovie for the past 8 seasons.'

The game passed Lovie in the later 2000s, even when he was winning. 4-3 Cover 2 shell defense became an NFL relic really quickly the better the talent at qb got in the league. In fairness, Emery shouldn't have held onto him for the 1 year he got 10 wins. Drafting a 245 lb 3-4 OLB in McClellin before trying to plug him in at 4-3 DE then linebacker later didn't work.

That and Lovie would drive me insane every damned 3rd down against the packers--when everybody knew a simple quick slant to Jordy Nelson/Greg Jennings was coming to the spot 55/54 were supposed to be--but they were busy faking blitzing the G-C-G gaps--which fooled nobody.

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4-3 Cover 2 shell defense became an NFL relic really quickly the better the talent at qb got in the league.

Yet strangely....it's returned.

The Cover 2 shell never became a relic. How it's deployed is the key. How you mix and match the coverages. When the pass rush dried up...Lovie's defense was extremely ineffective.

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They didn't fire the GM...there was no GM before Angelo. And Jauron worked under Angelo for 3 seasons.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After giving it a couple days to cool off from the disgust of Sunday's game, I think firing Nagy before end of season is probably the wrong move. I know...In the end, it doesn't really matter. Because he (and probably Pace) are both gone right when season ends at the latest. But similar to Mitch, I don't think he's a douche or anything. He's a good dude...just not very good at what he does. And I do think the players, other coaches and management like him. The writing is on the wall, but there's no need to kick him to the curb like he was some POS or something. The season is done. Just ride it out and then let the man go.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have had 3 coaches since Lovie. Not two.

Lovie's resume also consists of washing out of coaching in the NFL (failed in TB) and then the bottom of the Big Ten (failed at U of I) over the past 8 years.

I don't see anything to suggest Lovie would have been better. Even if you want to argue that his defensive scheme could have remained effective with a massive turnover of personnel following his departure. It really wouldn't solve our offensive struggles. I suppose in 2013 when we had the #2 scoring offense in football that you could make the argument he would have won. But does the offense under him and another new OC's command (assuming we would have still fired Tice) succeed like that? Could he have overcome the defense losing practically every starter that year? Meh...

Lovie has done nothing but fail since his final NFCCG appearance with us in 2010. I see nothing to suggest it would have been different here.

The Jets haven't won since Rex Ryan. It doesn't mean Rex Ryan should still be a HC in the NFL. There's plenty of HC's who had a respectable stretch 10+ years ago. When the franchise that fired him loses - that doesn't mean he should have stayed the guy or that you would have been better off.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lovie's resume also consists of washing out of coaching in the NFL (failed in TB) and then the bottom of the Big Ten (failed at U of I) over the past 8 years.

I don't see anything to suggest Lovie would have been better. Even if you want to argue that his defensive scheme could have remained effective with a massive turnover of personnel following his departure. It really wouldn't solve our offensive struggles. I suppose in 2013 when we had the #2 scoring offense in football that you could make the argument he would have won. But does the offense under him and another new OC's command (assuming we would have still fired Tice) succeed like that? Could he have overcome the defense losing practically every starter that year? Meh...

Lovie has done nothing but fail since his final NFCCG appearance with us in 2010. I see nothing to suggest it would have been different here.

The Jets haven't won since Rex Ryan. It doesn't mean Rex Ryan should still be a HC in the NFL. There's plenty of HC's who had a respectable stretch 10+ years ago. When the franchise that fired him loses - that doesn't mean he should have stayed the guy or that you would have been better off.

Just because I'd take Lovie over the three (my apologies) coaches we've had since his tenure, doesn't mean I want him back or that firing him was a bad move. The real point I was getting at was the justification for Lovie's firing would make it ridiculous if we somehow let Nagy off with 2 1/2 seasons of utter bullsh*t offense.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Oh...And welcome back, you've been pretty scarce lately.

Cliffz: Bears offense sucks...Dumpster fire...White Sox on cusp of greatness. 'bout sums it up.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tons of articles and quotes coming out this week about Nagy's ego and unwillingness to coach to his player's strengths, his inability to recognize playmakers and his inability to adjust in-game.

Last week's game was the furthest from Nagy's true scheme we've seen. (Granted, it was against the worst D in football, but there is mounting evidence since Mitch's return and the coinciding playcalling duties being turned over to Lazor.)

Again, say what you will about Mitch, but this team can win with him, if the playcaller isn't fuck-retarded. This offense can succeed, with the right players on the field, and the right identity. Bruising running game with playaction, rollouts and the likes therefrom. Those things help the o-line create a pocket for straight up west coast offense and/or pocket-passing.

Mitch has his weaknesses, but he also excels in athleticism. Utilize it, duh.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tons of articles and quotes coming out this week about Nagy's ego and unwillingness to coach to his player's strengths, his inability to recognize playmakers and his inability to adjust in-game.

Last week's game was the furthest from Nagy's true scheme we've seen. (Granted, it was against the worst D in football, but there is mounting evidence since Mitch's return and the coinciding playcalling duties being turned over to Lazor.)

Again, say what you will about Mitch, but this team can win with him, if the playcaller isn't fuck-retarded. This offense can succeed, with the right players on the field, and the right identity. Bruising running game with playaction, rollouts and the likes therefrom. Those things help the o-line create a pocket for straight up west coast offense and/or pocket-passing.

I wouldn’t mind bringing mitch back on a short prove it contract. I am attempting to draft his replacement this year and possibly next though. Nagy is an idiot. I wish they would just send him packing and bring in someone who won’t be so stubborn.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Stop with Mitch. Lol. Good lord. He played one good game against a team in absolute shambles and Trubisky supporters are literally clawing their way out of their graves to resume making 1,057 excuses for how bad he's been. His resume of games is still somewhere around 95% subpar to bad.

I still love the "Mitch could succeed if literally EVERY PIECE IN PLACE WAS PERFECT. FROM THE STAFF DOWN TO THE PERSONNEL" argument. Yeah, totally... that's your guy of the future. We "could" "possibly" win if we put together a roster that rivaled our team in the mid 1980's. Nice.

This team, as a whole, has been basically the same thing between Mitch and Foles. Mitch has returned to help us win 1 of 3 games vs a laughably decimated and demoralized Houston team. He was directly responsible for the biggest play of the game in losing to a 5-8 Lions team. He went 2-0 to start the year vs that same 5-8 Lions team where he played dreadfully for 3 of 4 quarters. Then, posted 10 offensive points in an ugly ass win vs the 5-8 Giants. He was pitiful against a pitiful ATL D and needed Foles to bail him out. Anyone giving that win to Mitch is CLEARLY disingenuous.

Foles is 3-5 vs ATL, IND, TB, CAR, LAR, NO, TEN, and MIN and Mitch is 3-2 vs DET, NYG, GB, DET, and HOU. What's the difference, exactly? In Mitch's history... what in the hell lends us to believe anything would have been different against defense's like IND, TB, LAR, or NO. Minnesota is also a team squarely in the playoff hunt. Which Mitch never even had to see to this point. Outside of being utterly embarrassed by GB.

They both suck. Nothing at this time to suggest otherwise. Outside of 4 quarters all season - Mitch has literally shown us the same exact mistakes he's made throughout his career. NOTHING has changed in his game.

his inability to recognize playmakers

I feel like you just tossed this one in there. I'm not sure what else we should have been doing with our skill personnel.

When Mitch looks like he did last week for... at least half of a season? Give me a call. I'm fine if he comes back and competes on a 1 year deal if we should draft a rookie 1st round and rebuild. But he shouldn't be viewed ANY DIFFERENTLY than he was a couple of months ago.

Oh, and how do you run an offense based on rollouts? People have been saying this stuff since Cutler. You literally can't roll out on a consistent basis. It defeats the purpose. Consistently cutting the field in half on yourself. This is why Mitch's inability to go through progressions, pass from the pocket, realize proper throwing mechanics from the pocket, etc. is a total death sentence.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh...And welcome back, you've been pretty scarce lately.

Cliffz: Bears offense sucks...Dumpster fire...White Sox on cusp of greatness. 'bout sums it up.
Been watching and keeping up like I always do. Got a promotion at work and it's been pretty chaotic. I also have a new lady friend. That takes up most of a lot of my down time. I was pretty diligent here until we went into the toilet. Some people enjoy ranting and raving when it's all falling apart. I don't. I hate it. I don't even like reading it. Makes me sad. lol. Plus, the hyperbole and melodrama is always annoying. I would be posting a lot if this wasn't happening.

Holidays have slowed things down at work. I should be around. Especially if we win Sunday and actually set up a legit chance for a win-in game vs the Packers (hopefully would be their backups) Week 17. I'll be happy to gear myself and walk face first into heartbreak again.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stop with Mitch. Lol. Good lord. He played one good game against a team in absolute shambles and Trubisky supporters are literally clawing their way out of their graves to resume making 1,057 excuses for how bad he's been. His resume of games is still somewhere around 95% subpar to bad.

I still love the "Mitch could succeed if literally EVERY PIECE IN PLACE WAS PERFECT. FROM THE STAFF DOWN TO THE PERSONNEL" argument. Yeah, totally... that's your guy of the future. We "could" "possibly" win if we put together a roster that rivaled our team in the mid 1980's. Nice.

This team, as a whole, has been basically the same thing between Mitch and Foles. Mitch has returned to help us win 1 of 3 games vs a laughably decimated and demoralized Houston team. He was directly responsible for the biggest play of the game in losing to a 5-8 Lions team. He went 2-0 to start the year vs that same 5-8 Lions team where he played dreadfully for 3 of 4 quarters. Then, posted 10 offensive points in an ugly ass win vs the 5-8 Giants. He was pitiful against a pitiful ATL D and needed Foles to bail him out. Anyone giving that win to Mitch is CLEARLY disingenuous.

Foles is 3-5 vs ATL, IND, TB, CAR, LAR, NO, TEN, and MIN and Mitch is 3-2 vs DET, NYG, GB, DET, and HOU. What's the difference, exactly? In Mitch's history... what in the hell lends us to believe anything would have been different against defense's like IND, TB, LAR, or NO. Minnesota is also a team squarely in the playoff hunt. Which Mitch never even had to see to this point. Outside of being utterly embarrassed by GB.

They both suck. Nothing at this time to suggest otherwise. Outside of 4 quarters all season - Mitch has literally shown us the same exact mistakes he's made throughout his career. NOTHING has changed in his game.

his inability to recognize playmakers

I feel like you just tossed this one in there. I'm not sure what else we should have been doing with our skill personnel.

When Mitch looks like he did last week for... at least half of a season? Give me a call. I'm fine if he comes back and competes on a 1 year deal if we should draft a rookie 1st round and rebuild. But he shouldn't be viewed ANY DIFFERENTLY than he was a couple of months ago.

Oh, and how do you run an offense based on rollouts? People have been saying this stuff since Cutler. You literally can't roll out on a consistent basis. It defeats the purpose. Consistently cutting the field in half on yourself. This is why Mitch's inability to go through progressions, pass from the pocket, realize proper throwing mechanics from the pocket, etc. is a total death sentence.
Nobody is reading this.