• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is Miguel Cabrera the best hitter ever

ImSmartherThanYou

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it took him 24 years to amass those hits............Pujols has very close to that in just 12.
And what does stolen bases have to do with hits?

And yes,I will take a hr hitter thats hits for a very good average anyday over a guy that hits just for average.
The name of the games is to who can score the most runs in a game.
Pujols can generate more runs than Cobb ever could.
You realize that the game is very different now than it was then, right? The basis for comparison isn't apples to apples. Cobb was his era's version of a power hitter.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Correct, it's a combination of all the elements of hitting. That includes power, average, plate discipline, contact, etc.

Though you're way off on Cobb. Cobb was a power hitter for his day. Look at his SLG and OPS+. It's not his fault the conditions were what they were.

Not sure about cobb ever being a top hr hitter,even tho he did lead the league one time with 9,I`m sure hrs were not a thing of interest maybe?
Not sure what word could be inserted there,but Cobb was not a power guy.

ImSmartherThanYou

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure about cobb ever being a top hr hitter,even tho he did lead the league one time with 9,I`m sure hrs were not a thing of interest maybe?
Not sure what word could be inserted there,but Cobb was not a power guy.
Is this a serious comment, or are you just trolling?

Swangin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it took him 24 years to amass those hits............Pujols has very close to that in just 12.
And what does stolen bases have to do with hits?

And yes,I will take a hr hitter thats hits for a very good average anyday over a guy that hits just for average.
The name of the games is to who can score the most runs in a game.
Pujols can generate more runs than Cobb ever could.

Cobb is 2nd all time in runs scored. He not only could get guys in, he put himself in position to score. Cobb didn't just walk or get singles, he was hitting doubles, (4th all time) triples (2nd all time) and stealing bases (4th all time) He created a ton of runs

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cobb is 2nd all time in runs scored. He not only could get guys in, he put himself in position to score. Cobb didn't just walk or get singles, he was hitting doubles, (4th all time) triples (2nd all time) and stealing bases (4th all time) He created a ton of runs

uhhhh as I said earlier,it TOOK him 24 years to amass that.
if pujols played another 12 years,I wonder where he`d bee at?

In their prime,you`re gonna tell me you`d take cobb over Pujols?

no way.............

Last edited by a moderator:

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
uhhhh as I said earlier,it TOOK him 24 years to amass that.
if pujols played another 12 years,I wonder where he`d bee at?

In their prime,you`re gonna tell me you`d take cobb over Pujols?

no way.............

Pujols can have as many years as he'd like. He can't touch most of Cobbs career marks. If its home runs that you're getting hung up on, make note of the era. Cobb hit for power with the best of his day, Until G.H.Ruth came along.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cobb led the AL in SLG% 8 times. He was also in the top 10 in extra base hits 14 times.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pujols can have as many years as he'd like. He can't touch most of Cobbs career marks. If its home runs that you're getting hung up on, make note of the era. Cobb hit for power with the best of his day, Until G.H.Ruth came along.

I don`t care if Albert could or not..........He`s played in half the seasons Ty has and he can not run like Ty did to get to some of those marks.but if you`re down by one with a runner on first,who`d you rather of had?
I`d rather have Albert anyday of the week...........

And to reply about Ty being a hr hitter,there must not have been a legit hr back then.Cause Ty cobb sure as in the hell was no hr hitter........

Nosferatu

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After enduring several years of seeing his fame and notoriety usurped by Ruth, Cobb decided that he was going to show that swinging for the fences was no challenge for a top hitter. On May 5, 1925, he began a two-game hitting spree better than any even Ruth had unleashed. Sitting in the Tiger dugout, he told a reporter that, for the first time in his career, he was going to swing for the fences. That day, he went 6 for 6, with two singles, a double and three home runs.[76] The 16 total bases set a new AL record, which stood until May 8, 2012 when Josh Hamilton of the Texas Rangers hit four home runs and a double for a total of 18 bases.[77] The next day he had three more hits, two of which were home runs. The single his first time up gave him nine consecutive hits over three games. His five homers in two games tied the record set by Cap Anson of the old Chicago NL team in 1884.[76] Cobb wanted to show that he could hit home runs when he wanted, but simply chose not to do so. At the end of the series, the 38-year-old veteran superstar had gone 12 for 19 with 29 total bases and then went happily back to his usual bunting and hitting-and-running

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My point is there are way better hitters than him... And he shouldn't even be in the discussion. Using stats alone doesn't always work... Because sometimes guys like Pete Rose can extend there career long enough to have better over all numbers totals. You can't say a guy like Rose is a better hitter than a guy like Gwynn because he has more hits... He just played more games and had more at bats... Career BA is different... If you play 22 yrs like cobb did and still have a .366 career BA... Thats insane. Also back to stat totals... Guys like Pujols and Miggy are way better hitters than martinez was... But they are still playing and dont have a finished statline.

Like i said... Cobb, Williams, and Ruth are debateable as the greatest ever... Nobody else really has a claim over those three... And Miggy would have to put up 7-10 more .330+ ba seasons with 35+ hr and 100+ rbi to be in the discussion.

Right and I said that I think I got the general point that you were making, but that you went too far in making it. Edgar isn't Babe Ruth or Ted Williams, but he's a lot better than 150th place.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don`t care if Albert could or not..........He`s played in half the seasons Ty has and he can not run like Ty did to get to some of those marks.but if you`re down by one with a runner on first,who`d you rather of had?

And to reply about Ty being a hr hitter,there must not have been a legit hr back then.Cause Ty cobb sure as in the hell was no hr hitter........

I'd rather have Cobb. Over all but maybe two guys. As he was a HR hitter, since he won a HR title. Are you aware of the differences in eras? You know Babe Ruth hit more homers than some teams, right? Why the hell are we talking about Pujols? This isn't a worst contracts ever thread, is it?

Last edited by a moderator:

ImSmartherThanYou

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I ask again, are you serious, or is this a joke?

ImSmartherThanYou

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He keeps talking about Ty Cobb not being a HR hitter without acknowledging that NO ONE was a home run hitter during his generation, and that Cobb was the premier power hitter in baseball during his career. Is he oblivious of this well-established fact? Or is he being a troll?

If he's oblivious to the Dead Ball Era, I'd recommend he refrain from discussing baseball history, and especially from arguing with people who actually possess some knowledge of what are commonly known historic events.

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He keeps talking about Ty Cobb not being a HR hitter without acknowledging that NO ONE was a home run hitter during his generation, and that Cobb was the premier power hitter in baseball during his career. Is he oblivious of this well-established fact? Or is he being a troll?

If he's oblivious to the Dead Ball Era, I'd recommend he refrain from discussing baseball history, and especially from arguing with people who actually possess some knowledge of what are commonly known historic events.

It's cool, man, I'm just having some fun. Often it is very difficult to tell if a person is trolling you or not. I mean no disrespect to you or anyone else. :suds:

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I came across something earlier... That year Cobb won the Triple Crown, back in '09..... He hit nine homers. The White Sox entire pitching staff, for the season, gave up 8. The A's, as a team, led the AL with 21. Yeah, 21 homers led the league for a team. And Cobb, who hit nine, wasn't a power hitter!?! Okay now I'm done.

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Cobb being the hr leader in a very poor power hitting era doesn't make him a power hitter. It makes him one of the better power hitters..."in that era"

You can make the argument that Cobb is the better hitter because of his avg and his abilities to hit doubles and triples...but Cobb isn't by definition a power hitter

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cobb being the hr leader in a very poor power hitting era doesn't make him a power hitter. It makes him one of the better power hitters..."in that era"

You can make the argument that Cobb is the better hitter because of his avg and his abilities to hit doubles and triples...but Cobb isn't by definition a power hitter

Exactly. Leading the pack in an era of mediocrity does not make one great.