• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is it weird that Pittsburgh isn't an NBA city?

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Almost more weird that Pittsburgh has three major sports. It's not that big of a city.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Def a city I can see being on the radar for NBA expansion. Seattle, St.Louis and tampa would also get consideration from me.

Sportsguy9695

Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,131.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
actually you never know. the NBA I understand might be considering expansion in the not-too-distant future...
i agree. i wouldnt be surprised if they do have a team in the steel city

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pittsburgh's culture is synonymous with football and baseball. I don't think that is true for Tampa. In fact, I don't think it would be weird at all to have the NBA in Tampa. We will likely never see that, however because they already have 2 Florida teams.
id say its more football/hockey than football/baseball.....

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
id say its more football/hockey than football/baseball.....

True. They do love their Pirates also though!

I have a friend from Pittsburgh who actually played basketball in college. He does not follow the NBA at all, has zero interest in it. But, he is a die hard Steelers/Pirates fan.

llemon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pittsburgh Pipers did win an ABA Title in the leagues initial season (1967-'68)

I saw the Pittsburgh Condors play the Nets on Christmas Eve of 1971 at MSG. Rick Barry and John Brisker put on a show. It was an ABA double-header. I forget who the Miami Floridians played in the first game, but I do remember the Floridians' Ball Girls.

The Condors folded after that season.

Wishbone

Robust Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't believe that Kansas City doesn't have an Nba team by now. That place is a basketball gold mine.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it is more odd that Kansas City doesn't have one. It is the major city that is closer to where basketball is created and Kansas is a basketball state.

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nah Pittsburgh wouldn't make a good city for an NBA team. People just don't care about basketball much around there and especially with the NBA season overlapping with football and hockey season.

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it is more odd that Kansas City doesn't have one. It is the major city that is closer to where basketball is created and Kansas is a basketball state.
And it worked so well there that their team moved to Sacramento. Yeah, Sacramento over staying in KC. You lose a team to Sacramento it should take longer than 30 years until you are reconsidered.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True. They do love their Pirates also though!

I have a friend from Pittsburgh who actually played basketball in college. He does not follow the NBA at all, has zero interest in it. But, he is a die hard Steelers/Pirates fan.

How does a college basketball player not follow the NBA?

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just seems odd, as the NBA game would've been his target profession.

Not really.

I know a few guys like that with experience either playing or coaching at high levels who won't watch NBA. The game is much purer at the college level. Talent may be watered down, but the rules are more neutral. Too many potential strategies are made illegal in the NBA, because at the end of the day fans want to see stars perform. NBA rules favor stars, but many basketball purists don't like those rules.

And no, I am not talking about handchecking and flagrant foul rules. Those are good for the game.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really.

I know a few guys like that with experience either playing or coaching at high levels who won't watch NBA. The game is much purer at the college level. Talent may be watered down, but the rules are more neutral. Too many potential strategies are made illegal in the NBA, because at the end of the day fans want to see stars perform. NBA rules favor stars, but many basketball purists don't like those rules.

And no, I am not talking about handchecking and flagrant foul rules. Those are good for the game.

I can see that... the issue for me is the stars don't stay in College for the most part. Gator fan, had a buddy play for them years back and that's one team where they did stick around, but it seems with all the turnover there's less team play for me at times. Like when you see a team go zone and just completely befuddle 5 guys that don't know what to do together. And of course the parity... Sure the NBA has a bit of an issue there, but for the teams I want to watch that really get it done in college, there's only a handful of teams I want to watch them play.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can see that... the issue for me is the stars don't stay in College for the most part. Gator fan, had a buddy play for them years back and that's one team where they did stick around, but it seems with all the turnover there's less team play for me at times. Like when you see a team go zone and just completely befuddle 5 guys that don't know what to do together. And of course the parity... Sure the NBA has a bit of an issue there, but for the teams I want to watch that really get it done in college, there's only a handful of teams I want to watch them play.

I agree.

Talent is seriously watered down, but coaches have much greater impact in game at the college level because of all the potential strategies available to them. You can scheme an opposing player out of the game in college. It just doesn't work under NBA rules.

Of course, the best college teams don't need gimmicks. They just execute their stuff better than the opposition. Still though, I like the chess match that unfolds at that level. In the NBA, in game coaching is mostly about managing rotations.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I do like college ball, not where I like the NBA. But I get tired of some parts of it. Like when a team misses open jumper after open jumper and they call it great defense. I think the tourney and memories of past years is my biggest draw to it now.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I do like college ball, not where I like the NBA. But I get tired of some parts of it. Like when a team misses open jumper after open jumper and they call it great defense. I think the tourney and memories of past years is my biggest draw to it now.

I'm having a tough time with college ball of late. As a Syracuse fan, I grew up with the Big East and the pride that came with being in that conference. The amount of movement between conferences and stretching the concept of regional conferences to the breaking point has definitely hurt the game in my eyes.

Early entry into the draft has been a big problem as well, notably to the Orange. How many players have they lost to the draft recently, likely never to be heard from again in the NBA? Guys like McCullough, Richardson, Grant, and Ennis all come to mind as having no business leaving early. Grab that million and risk ruining your potential career has been too much of a draw to these misguided kids.