• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is it time to send Miller to Tacoma to get his stroke back

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even with Chris Taylor on the DL, Franklin is starting in RF tonight, not SS. That should tell you what the organization thinks about Franklin's future as a SS here. Not happening.

But neither Franklin nor Miller's future with the Mariners is at SS.

But as much as people hate on Franklin's SS abilities, the same could be said for Ackley when he was the worst 2B in the PCL and he worked his way into a hell of a fielder.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Average fielder in my opinion. He still had problems with body positioning on throws especially. Range was decent. Arm was so-so.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Average fielder in my opinion. He still had problems with body positioning on throws especially. Range was decent. Arm was so-so.

He has a so so arm which is fine and a fare assessment, then why would they try playing him in the outfield though? I'm fine with Franklin not playing shortstop, but as of right now I feel its best for the organization to send Miller down and Franklin is the best option. He skills aren't anywhere near gold glove but neither is Millers.

He won the job in spring training fare and square, but he has had his time and has shown he needs to work on things. Franklin has nothing left to do in AAA. Switching him positions when there are no outfield positions open for him seems like just a waste of time.

johnfree63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has a so so arm which is fine and a fare assessment, then why would they try playing him in the outfield though? I'm fine with Franklin not playing shortstop, but as of right now I feel its best for the organization to send Miller down and Franklin is the best option. He skills aren't anywhere near gold glove but neither is Millers.

He won the job in spring training fare and square, but he has had his time and has shown he needs to work on things. Franklin has nothing left to do in AAA. Switching him positions when there are no outfield positions open for him seems like just a waste of time.

Not if they're trying to make him a Ben Zobrist/Willie Ballgame type of player. That would be really valuable. Of coarse we're talking about the M's so, they'll probably trade Franklin to the Rays to take over Zobrist spot when the Rays trade him at the deadline and somehow land Mike Trout.

Last edited by a moderator:

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not if they're trying to make him a Ben Zobrist/Willie Ballgame type of player. That would be really valuable. Of coarse we're talking about the M's so, they'll probably trade Franklin to the Rays to take over Zobrist spot when the Rays trade him at the deadline and somehow land Mike Trout.

But thats the problem is as of right now he's not that kind player right now. Willie was an amazing fielder at SS, then 3B then 2B. He then moved into the outfield where he became a solid defensive replacement. Franklin as of right now is not a defensive replacement for anyone. If that's the role they have designed for him then fine. Bring him up now and put him in that role, going to AAA to learn a new position didn't help Ackley, Montero, Adam Jones or Mike Carp become better defensive players.

The longer he is in AAA then less valuable he gets, which is my only big gripe with the handling of Franklin while Miller needs to gain his confidence on inferior pitching in the PCL.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Only reason he is in the OF is because they want his bat in the lineup. It isn't for his defense that is for sure. A flyball to him is like watching Rodney close. He gets the job done more than not, but always an adventure and leaves you with a gut ache every time.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only reason he is in the OF is because they want his bat in the lineup. It isn't for his defense that is for sure. A flyball to him is like watching Rodney close. He gets the job done more than not, but always an adventure and leaves you with a gut ache every time.

Which is why I don't think there is a comparison between a utility player and Franklin. Guys like that are pinch runners and defensive replacements, not guys you just try to find a spot in the lineup. As much as I like him he is not Michael Young and I am truly hoping the Mariners don't start treating Franklin like the Rangers treated Young.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

His best position is 2nd. Unfortunately that spot isn't available on the big league roster. I honestly haven't seen him in the OF to have much of an opinion on him there. I do know it's ridiculous how many infielders we have converted to outfield though. It's to bad our big signing was a 2nd baseman and not an outfielder. Would have made this situation more clear instead of the cluster f**k it's turned into.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His best position is 2nd. Unfortunately that spot isn't available on the big league roster. I honestly haven't seen him in the OF to have much of an opinion on him there. I do know it's ridiculous how many infielders we have converted to outfield though. It's to bad our big signing was a 2nd baseman and not an outfielder. Would have made this situation more clear instead of the cluster f**k it's turned into.

I saw him play 3rd last year and he seemed decent there. Thats the whole problem with the M's is they have 5 2B in Cano, Ackley, Miller, Franklin and Seager.

johnfree63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Miller and Franklin are basically the same player over their mlb careers now.

Player A- PA 479, 11 HRs, 16 2Bs, 6 3Bs, 47 RBIs, 7 SB, .232/.288/.371

Player B- PA 430, 12 HRs, 20 2Bs, 2 3Bs, 45 RBIs, 6 SB, .221/.300/.377

Which is which? Who really cares!

johnfree63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Miller and Franklin are basically the same player over their mlb careers now.

Player A- PA 479, 11 HRs, 16 2Bs, 6 3Bs, 47 RBIs, 7 SB, .232/.288/.371

Player B- PA 430, 12 HRs, 20 2Bs, 2 3Bs, 45 RBIs, 6 SB, .221/.300/.377

Which is which? Who really cares!

Even sadder, here's Smoak and Montero's career slash lines.

Player C- .258/.303/.396

Player D- .228/.312/.389. :L

Thisnamewasntaken

Formerly from ESPN
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Miller has been on a down spiral for quite some time, he should have been sent down weeks ago. He isn't going to magically figure "it" out. This is why I'm glad we haven't got rid of Franklin. Plug him in at SS. I don't care if they don't think he's a SS. Put him there anyways...

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Miller has been on a down spiral for quite some time, he should have been sent down weeks ago. He isn't going to magically figure "it" out. This is why I'm glad we haven't got rid of Franklin. Plug him in at SS. I don't care if they don't think he's a SS. Put him there anyways...

Haha, guess through my entire ramblings on the subject you have summed up my opinion perfectly. They play guys out of position so who cares.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could see Franklin coming up any way now that Hart is hurt. I bet that hammy lands him on the DL.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Per the beat writers, looks like Franklin got pulled from the game today and is likely getting called up.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Franklin was scratched from his game today making more sense of him returning for Hart.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like we tied on this one. :suds:

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I sense the Morales discussions will be brought up again if Hart is to miss significant time.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll be tempted to tune in if Franklin is playing SS or outfield.

I've only gotten to see him play a couple of times in the OF on MiLB, but he looked kind of okay. He's simply not good at SS. No way around it.

The main reason I've been tempted to watch is James Jones. Like what I'm seeing from him statistically.