• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is it really a surprise to anyone that the SEC is above the rest?

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As are the California Bowls for the PAC
Texas Bowls for the Big 12

There is a reason 90% of the bowls are in Florida or California...people like to go there. The only reason there is a Bowl in Birmingham, AL is that the SEC is headquartered there and live rent free on the City of Birmingham so they put an SEC team in the bowl every year in return.

Saying the SEC only plays bowls in their backyard is a BS argument because it completely ignores what everyone else does (except for the B1G and no one wants to play in Detroit, Indy or Philly in Dec and Jan).

The year we played lsu for a national title was a home for them.. right in their backyard. But we've been getting fucked for years anyways by the rose bowl. Maybe some of you don't wanna travel up north, but people like me never see major bowl games and never will. There's a reason why nfl teams like the packers play hard for home field advantage.. and if we go to a playoff system, top teams should get HF advantage. Also, all bowl games should be 100% neutral.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The year we played lsu for a national title was a home for them.. right in their backyard. But we've been getting fucked for years anyways by the rose bowl. Maybe some of you don't wanna travel up north, but people like me never see major bowl games and never will. There's a reason why nfl teams like the packers play hard for home field advantage.. and if we go to a playoff system, top teams should get HF advantage. Also, all bowl games should be 100% neutral.
Wow you really don't understand how any of this works and I'm not sure I can explain it to you.

1. Cities (bowls) bid on the playoff games and the game goes to the highest bidder.
2. There is no feasible way to make bowl games 100% neutral.
3. If you never see a bowl game that is your fault because it would cost me just as much as it cost you to get to Miami, Pasadena, Glendale or Dallas. Granted I could drive to New Orleans but I wouldn't the drive sucks. Save some dough and make the trip if you don't then it is on you.

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow you really don't understand how any of this works and I'm not sure I can explain it to you.

1. Cities (bowls) bid on the playoff games and the game goes to the highest bidder.
2. There is no feasible way to make bowl games 100% neutral.
3. If you never see a bowl game that is your fault because it would cost me just as much as it cost you to get to Miami, Pasadena, Glendale or Dallas. Granted I could drive to New Orleans but I wouldn't the drive sucks. Save some dough and make the trip if you don't then it is on you.

You don't say!?!? Money.. ruining sports more and more as time goes on. I barely get to an OSU game once a season because tickets are so Fing ridiculous.

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't say!?!? Money.. ruining sports more and more as time goes on. I barely get to an OSU game once a season because tickets are so Fing ridiculous.
Vote for Hillary maybe she will have government subsidize tickets and mandate northern bowl games.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Eh. You're never going to make it 100% neutral. Last year the game between Ohio State and Oregon was about as neutral a site as you could get and it was still at least 60% buckeye fans in there. I don't mind it. Sucks sometimes when you have to play a team basically in their own back yard, but that's really an excuse for fans more than it has any effect on the field of play.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Despite all I said about matchups ect, it shouldn't be a surprise when the SEC comes out and does well in bowl games and out of conference play. All you have to do is look at the recruiting rankings at their member schools.

If you want to perform on the big stage, you need the big time recruits.

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eh. You're never going to make it 100% neutral. Last year the game between Ohio State and Oregon was about as neutral a site as you could get and it was still at least 60% buckeye fans in there. I don't mind it. Sucks sometimes when you have to play a team basically in their own back yard, but that's really an excuse for fans more than it has any effect on the field of play.

I guess the whole neutral thing isn't as big of a deal as being able to have a good bowl game in our back yard once in a while. I was all set to travel to the CCG before we lost... that I can do, but the deep south is hard to pull off and out west is impossible.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess the whole neutral thing isn't as big of a deal as being able to have a good bowl game in our back yard once in a while. I was all set to travel to the CCG before we lost... that I can do, but the deep south is hard to pull off and out west is impossible.

Yeah, I live in DFW, so I got to see them play in the NCG last year and I saw them play in the Alamo Bowl once. Outside of those, I have no real interest in traveling to see the bowl game. Just too costly.

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is this invention called the airplane....you need to google that.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So What ! What difference does it make where the bowl is played ? I'm sure the coaches, players and fans attending would perfer it be held in sunny Florida anyway !

The rules of the game don't change because it is held in Florida do they ?

Same size field ? Same set of downs ?

The same right ?
You misunderstood my point but it does make a difference where the bowl is played...and mainly for the reason you stated. I'm no historical expert on the origin of bowls, but I'm assuming they started as a destination location for fans to get away to during the winter. That would mainly mean sites in Florida, Arizona and Southern California.

Anyone know the history/origin of the bowl system?

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to see part of it going the other direction. I'd like to see 8 teams in the playoffs and the four first round games played at the home of the lowest four seeds. Then go to neutral sites for the semis and final. JMO.

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to see part of it going the other direction. I'd like to see 8 teams in the playoffs and the four first round games played at the home of the lowest four seeds. Then go to neutral sites for the semis and final. JMO.

For playoffs.. yes, home field advantage. Give the fans a chance to have something at home for once.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I came up with something like that a long time ago.
14 team playoff
top 2 get byes
1st 2 rounds are at higher seeds home field, with conference champs being given the nod in seeding

never happen, but it would be great football. Imagine Bluebloods having to go to Houston, Boise St, or BYU for a playoff game

offshore1509

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Maybe....just maybe...

The reason the SEC is talked about so much on ESPN is due to the success thay have had winning so many bowl games and NCs the past several years ?

Nahhhhhhhhhhhh ! Couldn't be that ! No waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay !
I think you finally got my point, I never said it wasn't deserved, if you think I did read my other posts again.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I came up with something like that a long time ago.
14 team playoff
top 2 get byes
1st 2 rounds are at higher seeds home field, with conference champs being given the nod in seeding

never happen, but it would be great football. Imagine Bluebloods having to go to Houston, Boise St, or BYU for a playoff game
Meltdown!

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meltdown!

Yes. Bigger format would allow for a team like Houston to get its shot. They may never win a championship, but I would bet on a memorable sports moment every 5-10 years. We can bitch about about the blow outs, but there is nothing like watching a huge upset as a sports fan

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes. Bigger format would allow for a team like Houston to get its shot. They may never win a championship, but I would bet on a memorable sports moment every 5-10 years. We can bitch about about the blow outs, but there is nothing like watching a huge upset as a sports fan

This is about the only legitimate reason I could see for expanding the playoffs. Don't really see a non-P5 school getting a shot unless they go unbeaten and have a decent P5 win on the schedule.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is about the only legitimate reason I could see for expanding the playoffs. Don't really see a non-P5 school getting a shot unless they go unbeaten and have a decent P5 win on the schedule.
I agree. Example: What would have been the down side with having Houston in an expanded playoff bracket this year?