• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is it really a surprise to anyone that the SEC is above the rest?

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In order for the Pac and SEC to meet in a regular bowl game every year either would have to have an opening (expired or rejected tie in already on the books) and a bowl with an opening that has the other already activated.

There is no doubt the tie ins for the Pac are weak. Being stuck with the B1G isn't what it once was, but they have been in long standing relationships with their bowls. So is every P5 really. Few changes have been made of any real substance at the top level bowls.

Just show any evidence at all that the Pac has avoided or otherwise rejected any bowl offer that would have put them in with the SEC. You can't. And won't. But sure will keep on banging that drum.

Bayou Tiger

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
Hoopla Cash
$ 600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
June 16, 1988: OU reveals that there are 18 allegations of NCAA rules violations, including an Oklahoma alumnus allegedly loaning a used car to a player and paying him for a summer job at which he did not work. A Sooner staff member also allegedly offered $1,000 in cash to a prospect if he would sign with Oklahoma. Switzer said of the accused violations, "None of them ever gave Oklahoma a competitive advantage."

July 2, 1988: The Tulsa Tribune quotes an anonymous source, saying that Oklahoma State wide receiver Hart Lee Dykes and UCLA quarterback Troy Aikman were among the athletes who testified to the NCAA over allegations at OU. Athletic Director Donnie Duncan said, "I can't respond to that one way or another because of the agreement we have with our legal counsel."

September 4, 1988: "The Boz: Confessions of a Modern Anti-Hero" is released. The book is by former Sooner Brian Bosworth and Sports Illustrated writer Rick Reilly. "The stuff we talked about that didn't go in the book could have put away OU for 20 years," Reilly tells The Oklahoman. "We took out the stuff we thought was too bad for OU, too incriminating."

October 30, 1988: The NCAA Infractions Committee discusses its case against the OU football program for six hours. "We can expect scholarship reductions," Sooners athletic director Donnie Duncan told Dean Blevins in a television interview. "I don't think we'll come out of this without having some type of penalty."

December 17, 1988: The Sooners receive three years probation that includes no post-season games following the 1989 and 1990 seasons, no live telecasts of games during the 1989 season, only eight fulltime coaches permitted to participate in off-campus recruiting in 1989 and a limit of 18 football scholarships per year for the 1989 and 1990 seasons.

December 26, 1988: The Oklahoman publishes an editorial, quoting Switzer about a player who received free use of a car and was paid $6,400 for work he didn't perform. "The kid drives it for a year, a year and a half, two years, whatever it was, and all of a sudden that becomes a hell of a violation," Switzer said.

December 27, 1988: Switzer instructs players and coaches not to discuss NCAA sanctions, according to a story in The Oklahoman. Running backs coach Scott Hill, who is not allowed to recruit off-campus during the 1989-90 school year, instead decides to discuss the violations, saying "Some kids were upset we didn't tell them exactly what were going to get. But hell, we didn't know either." According to a 1989 Sports Illustrated story, Hill ran up a $475 bar tab with other Oklahoma coaches and was accused of damaging a chair and table at the Lake Nona Golf Club. The article said that Hill slammed Citrus Bowl official Tony Martin into a car, bruising his cheek and chest.

January 21, 1989: One week after the shooting and 19 days after the Citrus Bowl loss, sophomore running back Glen Bell, sophomore offensive tackle Nigel Clay and junior tight end Bernard Hall allegedly gang r*pe a woman in the Bud Wilkinson House. Switzer said on his Oklahoma News Network show, "You can't speak in general terms and say that these players are out of control. That's totally ridiculous."

February 15, 1989: Switzer tells the Associated Press that he's responsible for Oklahoma's troubled football program because he recruited the players who caused the problems. He still says he intends to remain head coach at OU. "I feel so used by these four or five kids. They've done me wrong. It's not fair what they did to us. They didn't think one thought whether what they did was right or wrong. It's just so selfish." (He took responsibility by blaming the players?)

February 27, 1989: Charles Thompson appears on the cover of Sports Illustrated in an orange jump suit and handcuffs. The masthead reads, "OKLAHOMA: A SORDID STORY. HOW BARRY SWITZER'S SOONERS TERRORIZED THEIR CAMPUS." The more than 5,000 word story by Rick Telander and Robert Sullivan details the scandal that seeped through the OU program over the last several years.

I could go on, but I wasn't exaggerating.

giphy.gif

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guess he missed the bring on bama campaign and all of the very public push to try and get the SEC to bring at least one game with us to the table. No, it's all the Pac's fault there are no games. The SEC offers it and we run like little school girls. I mean there is no evidence of such, but it makes for a good story I guess.

I guess I interpreted that different than you.

The "Bring On Bama" campaign was a means of selling T-shirts to minions. Oregon fans assumed they'd remain unbeaten and play for it all.

It was a cocky way of saying "Can't wait to play you for the Natty"

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I interpreted that different than you.

The "Bring On Bama" campaign was a means of selling T-shirts to minions. Oregon fans assumed they'd remain unbeaten and play for it all.

It was a cocky way of saying "Can't wait to play you for the Natty"
Yes, and it was for sure a small group of fans bringing that up, but it stirred up the whole bowl situation and became a talking point to Scott and his people. There was a lot of questions as to why they never meet outside of BCS (now playoff) games and he went into great detail about it. They have sought access to those other bowls for some time.

Neither side is afraid of playing the other. It's about money. It's about long tie ins and who travels best where. SEC teams tend to stay in the south for their bowls and it seems many of those bowls are Leary of having Pac schools travel so far to fill those seats.

Wouldn't care if the Pac team lost it every year, we'd love to see those match ups.

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ole piss was great in the late 50s, early 60s. They've had a surge recently. Historically they are a .500 squad in fact they are just ahead of Texas Tech and Tulsa and just below North Carolina and Army on the all time winning list.

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could go on, but I wasn't exaggerating.

Mother fucker please, you think i don't know what OU has done. Like I said the only thing the NCAA accused Switzer of was paying his assistants out of his own pockets. You don't know jack shit and by all means go on, I'll enjoy embarrassing you.

Last edited:

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The SEC has all of the power and everyone knows it. If they wanted a Pac team, they'd have it. Frankly they don't care who they play. They can dictate everything. They can play scrubs as much as they want in OOC and require any real meat to come to them in 'neutral' venues (lol). They can take bowls in their backyard. Why should they care if those bowls want tie ins closer than the deep west? Easy travel and a payday. Big12 and Big10 are closer. ACC is their neighbor. Bowls down there have much better chances at filling seats.

It's just money. Nothing more.

cwerph

Go Bucks!
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mother fucker please, you think i don't know what OU has done. Like I said the only thing the NCAA accused Switzer of was paying his assistants out of his own pockets. You don't know jack shit and by all means go on, I'll enjoy embarrassing you.
A kid got a free car for a year and a half and he acted like it was no big deal. I wonder why...

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Red_Alert, we just having a convo here, no hate or anything.

You are now the person in charge of the velveta rotel bowl. You are somewhere in the middle of SEC land. You manage to get the #5 SEC team as one of your tie ins :yes: and now are tying to settle the other tie. You have the #5 available for all 4 of the other conferences. You are graded on your overall revenue for this event year after year. Which conference will you ask first and which will you ask last?

Likewise, now you have a bowl in San Fran and the Pac #5. How high will the ACC and SEC squads be on your list given the travel requirements?

The bowls pick their match ups and it's entirely about money. The Pac has to travel farther than anyone else to reach the south. We end up with mostly Big12 and Big10 because of it. The rest are those measly mid major or at large bowls.

This wasn't an issue back in the day. Pac1vB1G1 every year and the others had their similar star games. Adding playoffs or BCS bowls that poached the good teams kind of killed that vibe and yet the bowls are still here because of the money. Horrible system overall, but there is too much money on the line for it to change.

Agent Orange

Harbaugh's shrink
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michigan trashed SEC east champion and Washington won their bowl. I don't care what anyone else did or does... except:

#CLEMSON4CHAMPZ

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh look, people who think anytime someone is better than their team it must be because of cheating.

Because you know, it's impossible for other teams to just be better.

Even though I won't be surprised if Ole Miss gets nailed hard soon.

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh well OP, at least we had Muschamp at UF for a couple years to level the playing field for you...and Urban his last year or two.

Rebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh look, people who think anytime someone is better than their team it must be because of cheating.

Because you know, it's impossible for other teams to just be better.

Even though I won't be surprised if Ole Miss gets nailed hard soon.
Maybe but with all the allegations against Tunsil and all they could prove was the car thing then I'm not so sure.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The SEC has all of the power and everyone knows it. If they wanted a Pac team, they'd have it. Frankly they don't care who they play. They can dictate everything. They can play scrubs as much as they want in OOC and require any real meat to come to them in 'neutral' venues (lol). They can take bowls in their backyard. Why should they care if those bowls want tie ins closer than the deep west? Easy travel and a payday. Big12 and Big10 are closer. ACC is their neighbor. Bowls down there have much better chances at filling seats.

It's just money. Nothing more.
Your bowls are in your backyard as well. I would think the ACC, Big 12 and B1G would take issue with your assertion that we dictate everything. I guess according to you they're our bitches.

offshore1509

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Right thats why the only time our teams have met in football, which was in 1999 your sooners lost. You dont know shit so why even talk? There are NFL players on the roster every single year and thats not a recent development.
That was against Eli Manning, I know he wanted to go there because of his dad, but still at least really good recruit at the right position can be all it takes.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe but with all the allegations against Tunsil and all they could prove was the car thing then I'm not so sure.

Beats me, I won't be worrying about it too much either way.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Teams/conferences recruit themselves. Even when ND or Mich has bad coaches they still recruit to the name. Kids want to go to the SEC just to go to the SEC and are willing to go to the lessor schools of it if that's all they can get.

Way too simplistic to say just get a good coach and you are on equal footing.

I didn't say a good coach, the point was coaches...and more ND and Michigan have and pay coaches at the SEC level...so your point is moot.

This is the staff that Alabama has for football...

Nick Saban, Head Coach 348-3600
Burton Burns, Associate Head Coach/Running Backs 348-3600
Lane Kiffin, Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks 348-3600
Bo Davis, Defensive Line 348-3600
Jeremy Pruitt, Defensive Coordinator 348-3600
Bobby Williams, Tight Ends/Special Teams Coordinator 348-3600
Mario Cristobal, Assistant Head Coach/Offensive Line 348-3600
Billy Napier, Wide Receivers 348-3600
Mel Tucker, Assistant Head Coach/Defensive Backs 348-3600
Tosh Lupoi, Linebackers 348-3600
Justin Dickens, Director of Football Operations 348-3600
Ellis Ponder, Associate Director/Football Operations 348-3600
Jody Wright, Director/Player Personnel 348-3600
Ashleigh Kimble, Assistant Director of Player Personnel 348-3646
Aazaar A. Rahim, Associate Director/Player Personnel 348-3600
Kerry Stevenson, Director of Player Development 348-3600
Freddie Roach, Director of Player Development 348-3600
Glen Schumann, Player Development/Player Personnel 348-3600
Asha Sowell, Recruiting Operations Coordinator 348-7934
Brandy Moore, Football Operations Coordinator 348-3600
Cedric Burns, Athletics Relations Coordinator 348-2308
Linda Leoni, Administrative Assistant 348-3600
Glenda Edwards, Administrative Secretary 348-3600
Dean Altobelli, Football Analyst 348-3600
Eric Kiesau, Football Analyst 348-3600
Keary Colbert, Football Analyst 348-3600
Brendan Farrell, Football Analyst 348-3600
Wes Neighbors, Football Analyst 348-3600
William Vlachos, Football Analyst 348-3600
Charlie Weis, Jr., Football Analyst 348-3600
Garrett Cox, Football Analyst 348-3600
Doug Belk, Graduate Assistant 348-3600
Alex Mortensen, Graduate Assistant 348-3600
JT Summerford, Athletics Intern 348-3600

At first glance there is not a big disparity between this listing and the 32 spots that Washington lists under the football program...until you actually look and see that half of Washington's positions are actually listed under separate departments on the Alabama website. For example, Washington lists all their strength and conditioning folks, while Alabama lists our S&C coach and his 14 staff members as a different department.

The reality is that Alabama has more than twice as many staff members dedicated to football as Washington does and we pay the ones we have much better as well.

But keep pretending it's because SEC...

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No disrespect to the sec, but they won 8 games they were favored to win. I wouldn't jump out my drawers congratulating them. They met expectations. Nothing more, nothing less. It's a great conference, but they did what they were suppose to do. It's like rewarding your kid for making his bed. He's expected to that every day, applauding his performance is unnecessary. It's expected and he'll get an ass cutting if he doesn't get it done.

:2cents: