• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is Doc Rivers brutally overrated?

Is Doc Brutally overrated

• Yes

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Yup

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Definitely

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Agreed

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Anything with Bacon

Votes: 5 45.5%

• Total voters

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So he wins a title with the first 'Superteam' of this era

Goes to the Clippers, and in my estimation has brutally underachieved

And now word is that Chris Paul was leaving LA because of Rivers, with the biggest issue between them was the fact that he was giving his son Austin way too much playing time

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hi

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
West Coast sleeps too late

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was looking for the 'obviously' option

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So he wins a title with the first 'Superteam' of this era

Goes to the Clippers, and in my estimation has brutally underachieved

And now word is that Chris Paul was leaving LA because of Rivers, with the biggest issue between them was the fact that he was giving his son Austin way too much playing time

Depends on how you rate him.

I think he is a good coach and a bad GM. From a coaching standpoint, there is a small number of guys who can actually turn a matchup In their favor on a regular basis. I am talking about guys like Pop and maybe Brad Stevens. Doc is not one of those, but I don't think there are 10 guys in the league I would rather have coaching my team.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depends on how you rate him.

I think he is a good coach and a bad GM. From a coaching standpoint, there is a small number of guys who can actually turn a matchup In their favor on a regular basis. I am talking about guys like Pop and maybe Brad Stevens. Doc is not one of those, but I don't think there are 10 guys in the league I would rather have coaching my team.

Fair take...Just see him as a guy that escaped Boston when he knew the well had run dry, goes to, at the time, one of the league favored rosters, underachieves by most measures, and now it will be interesting to see what happens with him now that the Clippers are about to become bottom feeders in the league

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair take...Just see him as a guy that escaped Boston when he knew the well had run dry, goes to, at the time, one of the league favored rosters, underachieves by most measures, and now it will be interesting to see what happens with him now that the Clippers are about to become bottom feeders in the league

Probably not well.

That being said though, Red Auerbach or Pop would not have coached those Celtics past the Heat. Wasn't Doc's fault, they just got old.

As for the Clips, I agree with your take on Griffin. I like CP3 a lot, but they had major roster flaws. Specifically a gaping hole on the wing in a league dominated by great wing players. They just didn't match up well with teams like SA or GS, and you need to get through them to have any chance in the West.

I guess I blame doc the GM for the flawed roster more than I blame Doc the coach.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Overrated? Yes.

Brutally overrated? No.

As @tlance pointed out, he's a bad GM, but a solid coach.

Imo, Doc is a prime example of why the coach as GM model rarely works. Coaches get emotionally invested in their players. As GM, Doc should have realized that what the Clippers had just wasn't going to work well enough to get them to the finals and moved either Blake or CP3 (mostly Blake) at least 2 years ago.

The problem was, Doc the coach, loves his guys and just kept bringing everybody back.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also remember Bill Simmons hating Doc Rivers until their Big 3 started gelling.

I don't think Rivers is a bad coach but I also don't think he is a difference maker at the coaching position.

To be fair to Rivers, though, Im not sure getting Chris Paul upset is all that difficult to do.