• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is Chris Davis on steroids or PEDs?

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He started hitting strikes instead of missing them. That's my hypothesis. Or my theory, I don't really know. I wonder if Jason Giambi's old ass thinks Chris Davis is juicing? (I bet he doesn't care one way or the other)

Last edited by a moderator:

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes.

Most top baseball players are.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last post before I get oil squeak fixed. Your reason you don't think Davis is cheating is because, if he is, other guys are cheating too. Unfortunately, this thread is about Davis and the ridiculously abnormal jump in offensive efficiency this year. Increases of 30%, 20%, and 75% in Slugging, OPS and HR. WAR jumped from basically 0 to 7. In statistics there is a word for these changes when the assumptions remain unchanged. Impossible. Please give me a reason other than PED's for the changes.

Clear-headed logic such as this is bound to make most people in this thread very, very angry. Be prepared for the juvenile name-calling and emotional outbursts of righteous indignation.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All the hand-wringing over PEDs is so tiresome and boring at this point. Just watch the games and enjoy the action. Is that so hard? That's the whole point of pro sports. It's entertainment. It's a distraction. Nobody gives a shit about the league-wide use in the NFL, because people just watch the action and want to see their team win. It only matters in baseball because of the stats. The funny thing is that the mouthbreathers who get so bent out of shape about PEDs probably don't even really pay close attention to the stats anyway.

Says the Yankees fan. Spare me. :rollseyes:

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He started hitting strikes instead of missing them. That's my hypothesis. Or my theory, I don't really know. I wonder if Jason Giambi's old ass thinks Chris Davis is juicing? (I bet he doesn't care one way or the other)

He is also hitting a career high in strikeouts (granted his AB's are higher too). I also notice he will be arbitration eligible this year. Another motivation. He's not hitting more, just farther.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's hitting more. And walking more. And scoring more. And driving more in. He's also 27. Prime time for a player to find himself. It's not like his power came out of nowhere.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Imagine the shitstorm if you had asked legit questions about Ryan Braun before he got exposed.

"You fucking moron."

ImSmartherThanYou

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You've still never answered any of my posts questioning your football fandom. You seem to have this absurd contempt for PED use in baseball. What about football? There's a very high likelihood that the player in your profile pic uses some kind of PED, since it's like the fucking 1980s WWF in the NFL.

Does the near universal use of PEDs in the NFL bother you?

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's hitting more. And walking more. And scoring more. And driving more in. He's also 27. Prime time for a player to find himself. It's not like his power came out of nowhere.

Yes it is, 50+ home runs is a big deal. Aside from the Sosa, Bonds, Mcgwire era it is a pretty rare feat.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Egh. Its not like hes Brady Anderson, Davis hit 33 last year at age 26. Cecil Fielder did it after warming up his swing in Japan. Nobody saw that coming. His kid did at a younger age than anyone, ever. Hasn't done it again. Jim Thome's unathletic butt did once. All of those guys are big, powerful homerun hitters. And they happened to get 50+ in a season once. Good for them. Did Hack Wilson roid up back in the day too? His big season is a bit of an outlier in his career.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Egh. Its not like hes Brady Anderson, Davis hit 33 last year at age 26. Cecil Fielder did it after warming up his swing in Japan. Nobody saw that coming. His kid did at a younger age than anyone, ever. Hasn't done it again. Jim Thome's unathletic butt did once. All of those guys are big, powerful homerun hitters. And they happened to get 50+ in a season once. Good for them. Did Hack Wilson roid up back in the day too? His big season is a bit of an outlier in his career.
Davis also slugged .549 in 2008 (despite having a modest BA of .285) with 23 doubles, 2 triples, and 17 HR in just 80 games. He also had a career SLG% of .597 in the minors. He's always had power.

ImSmartherThanYou

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes it is, 50+ home runs is a big deal. Aside from the Sosa, Bonds, Mcgwire era it is a pretty rare feat.
It's been done 7 times since 2005, plus another 3 guys have hit 48 or 49. Not that rare.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You've still never answered any of my posts questioning your football fandom. You seem to have this absurd contempt for PED use in baseball. What about football? There's a very high likelihood that the player in your profile pic uses some kind of PED, since it's like the fucking 1980s WWF in the NFL.

Does the near universal use of PEDs in the NFL bother you?

So I'm a "fucking moron" for even questioning whether dominant baseball players are juicing (read: "absurd contempt") but you seem to possess some sort of inside knowledge that Jake Locker (who you can't even identify) is using "some kind of PED."

You're laughable.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guys, it is highly improbable that any of us can prove that he is on PED's and we all know proving the negative is impossible so this is all just heresay. For me the statistical abnormality seems to indicate a high probability that something changed. His swing is faster, no doubt about it. He is hitting the ball further without making contact more often. I would be less inclined to believe he is using if he can string 3 or 4 years like this together but that is info we don't have yet. I hate the fact that we are having this discussion but baseball opened this door, but only slightly. Either turn a blind eye or do everything possible to get PED's out of the game. There is no middle ground.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's been done 7 times since 2005, plus another 3 guys have hit 48 or 49. Not that rare.

But only twice since 2007. So two players in 6 seasons and both are under the microscope. As a fan of baseball for forty years, I can assure you it is a tremendous feat.

ImSmartherThanYou

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I'm a "fucking moron" for even questioning whether dominant baseball players are juicing (read: "absurd contempt") but you seem to possess some sort of inside knowledge that Jake Locker (who you can't even identify) is using "some kind of PED."

You're laughable.
When did I ever call you a "fucking moron"?

And you've still never responded. Is the rampant PED use in football as big an issue for you as it is in baseball? I'm genuinely interested to hear your response.

ImSmartherThanYou

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But only twice since 2007. So two players in 6 seasons and both are under the microscope. As a fan of baseball for forty years, I can assure you it is a tremendous feat.
That's fair. I never said it wasn't a tremendous feat.