• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is Baker Mayfield a Bust?

Is Baker Mayfield a Bust?

• Yes

Votes: 35 26.5%
  • No

Votes: 50 37.9%
  • Will tell you at the end of the season

Votes: 35 26.5%
  • Taters

Votes: 12 9.1%

• Total voters

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m betting folks think less of Mayfield at the end of the 2022 season then they do now.
I'm betting the opposite.

2021 6 games before missing one:
116/173, 1474 yds, 6 passing TDs, 3 INTs
67.1% completion rate, 8.5 y/a, 3.5% TD rate, 1.7% INT rate

8 games after:
137/245, 1536 yds, 11 passing TDs, 10 INTs
55.9% completion rate, 6.3 y/a, 4.5% TD rate, 4.1% INT rate

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm betting the opposite.

2021 6 games before missing one:
116/173, 1474 yds, 6 passing TDs, 3 INTs
67.1% completion rate, 8.5 y/a, 3.5% TD rate, 1.7% INT rate

8 games after:
137/245, 1536 yds, 11 passing TDs, 10 INTs
55.9% completion rate, 6.3 y/a, 4.5% TD rate, 4.1% INT rate
It's a bet then.

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a bet then.
Maybe his next contract is a good objective way to see whether people think more or less of him?

The Panthers are paying Baker $5 million with another $3.5 million available in incentives, for a single year. That's his value to them right now. I bet his next contract, whoever it's with, averages more than $9 million per year for multiple years.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe his next contract is a good objective way to see whether people think more or less of him?

The Panthers are paying Baker $5 million with another $3.5 million available in incentives, for a single year. That's his value to them right now. I bet his next contract, whoever it's with, averages more than $9 million per year for multiple years.
Or Mayfield is making about 15 million this season, he'll make less next contract.

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or Mayfield is making about 15 million this season, he'll make less next contract.
That was the option picked by the Browns a year ago. $18.5 million was his value then.

His value now is $5-8.5 million (and a 4th/5th... not sure how to factor that in).

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Awesome you are back to your Tommy persona of lying. In my original comment to him I said I disagreed in his saying the Rams roster was much better.

we are talking outside QB, but Watson is on our roster and he is at worst on par with stafford.

Agree Donald and Kupp are far better than our top DTs and WRs. Ward is on level of Ramsey or not far behind. You can debate Newsome and Williams not better than the Rams 2 and 3 CBs but you'd be wrong. You can also debate the Rams #2 RB is better than Hunt if you like or their top 2 DEs are better than Garrett and Clowney.

OL can be subjective but those who watch every player on every play seem to think the Browns OL if not the best is near the top.
Yeah they're close. Well maybe not that close. This isn't a discussion about almost or close. But keep trying to move those goal posts by yourself.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was the option picked by the Browns a year ago. $18.5 million was his value then.

His value now is $5-8.5 million (and a 4th/5th... not sure how to factor that in).
I can see where Mayfield doesn't play well, but plays better then the other QBs on the Panthers roster because the other QBs are bad options also. Panthers will definitely look to the draft for a QB and with their first pick in 2023, but they may feel it is prudent to sign one of Mayfield or Darnold just in case. I'm not sure topping his present contract with the Panthers reflects how Mayfield is viewed, as the Panthers used their leverage to extract a bargain. Tyrod Taylor is making more as a back up, but no one really see's him as a starting quality QB.
I say lets see who views Mayfield as a starting quality QB next season and who see's him in the same light as a Tyrod Taylor

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can see where Mayfield doesn't play well, but plays better then the other QBs on the Panthers roster because the other QBs are bad options also. Panthers will definitely look to the draft for a QB and with their first pick in 2023, but they may feel it is prudent to sign one of Mayfield or Darnold just in case. I'm not sure topping his present contract with the Panthers reflects how Mayfield is viewed, as the Panthers used their leverage to extract a bargain. Tyrod Taylor is making more as a back up, but no one really see's him as a starting quality QB.
I say lets see who views Mayfield as a starting quality QB next season and who see's him in the same light as a Tyrod Taylor
Won’t necessarily be Carolina. Tampa Bay is a possible destination next year, along with any team whose young QB isn’t working out.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cleveland FO got fleeced.

A 5th rounder and 10 mil.

Now we wait and see how long of a vacation Watson gets.

Enjoy watching Brissett as your starter.

Your worst nightmares are coming true.

Can you tell me where I can find a very good FO like the Browns have?

Spin away Princess.

We're all prepared for your back stroke to continue at an accelerated pace.
you - Browns FO is awful at drafting
me - name an awful pick they made
you - named bad picks by previous regimes, named good picks, named mid-late rounders who were backups and only picked a year ago

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I remember correctly. In the beginning they (he) were saying they wouldnt pay half.
They would just start him over Brisket well done.
I always knew Mayfield was never taking another snap for the Browns.
you don't remember correctly.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Additionally, Mayfield has agreed to a $3.5 million pay cut in the final year of his deal this upcoming season, while the Browns will absorb $10.5 million and the Panthers around $5 million. Carolina and Seattle always made the most sense for Mayfield after the Deshaun Watson acquisition by Cleveland. And with the Panthers, Mayfield should be the overwhelming favorite to start Week 1 against, you guessed it, the Browns. Giddy up. In Mayfield and Sam Darnold, the Panthers now employ the Nos. 1 and 3 overall picks from the 2018 draft. Mayfield’s addition doesn’t exactly move the needle much for Carolina’s pass-catchers in terms of fantasy.
True.....nor do their receivers move it much for whoever played QB there.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmmm doesn't seem as it was fan driven now does it. Beside the fleecing of only getting a 5th and paying 10M, the FO screwed up that relationship so bad BM willingly left 3.5M on the table just to get away.

Got to love this forum and the Browns new FO.
I see instead of a lie day for you it will be showing your lack of comprehension? Still time for both as only noon.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cleveland FO got fleeced.

A 5th rounder and 10 mil.

Now we wait and see how long of a vacation Watson gets.

Enjoy watching Brissett as your starter.

Your worst nightmares are coming true.

Can you tell me where I can find a very good FO like the Browns have?

Spin away Princess.

We're all prepared for your back stroke to continue at an accelerated pace.
I think it's getting better by the day. No drama with Baker. Watson won't get an indefinite or a year long suspension, it's looking like 8 or less games.

The most important thing is the Browns have a franchise QB, whether I like him or not, he is a huge upgrade. I'm not sure that is a nightmare LOL Ultimately this deal will be judged on what Watson does for this franchise and it isn't just this year, it's the future. He's only 27. Nothing can be predicted at this point other than it appears they upgraded at the QB position. Did they pay for it? Absolutely but 4-8 games isn't deciding the fate of this team long-term. We will just have to wait and see.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Panthers are paying Mayfield $4.85M in guaranteed salary. Additionally there are $3.5M in incentives. The incentives haven't been stated but I doubt they will be hard to achieve. Effectively the Panthers are on the hook for $8.35M...which is a good deal for them. I think Mayfield is worth more than that. I would give up the equivalent of the #155 pick in the 2023 NFL Draft for that contract.
I definitely think it's a good deal for them. Very low risk so only team who can really "win" this deal is Carolina.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Won’t necessarily be Carolina. Tampa Bay is a possible destination next year, along with any team whose young QB isn’t working out.
Oh a lot of teams are possible in theory. I just don't think Mayfield will be viewed as a answer at QB after this season.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's getting better by the day. No drama with Baker. Watson won't get an indefinite or a year long suspension, it's looking like 8 or less games.

The most important thing is the Browns have a franchise QB, whether I like him or not, he is a huge upgrade. I'm not sure that is a nightmare LOL Ultimately this deal will be judged on what Watson does for this franchise and it isn't just this year, it's the future. He's only 27. Nothing can be predicted at this point other than it appears they upgraded at the QB position. Did they pay for it? Absolutely but 4-8 games isn't deciding the fate of this team long-term. We will just have to wait and see.
well put. I mean, sure, those asking who won the deal clearly it cannot be us. Will be Carolina or no one as it's low risk for them. Only way it could have been a nightmare, really, was had we signed him to a longterm deal then decided to cut bait.....or not had a better option to replace him.

Now if watson gets a long suspension AND is not the guy he was when he last played.......?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd take Cousins. Lets see Mayfield play next season then revisit this. I know folks dismiss his play last year because of the non shoulder injury, I don't though.
If I needed a QB for next season only I'd take Cousins. agree need to see baker again before I'd say I want him longterm over Cousins.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We know what we get with Cousins and it isn’t great but I’d say more then adequate. Baker plays like he’s lost, not sure where to throw to, often way off target, his WRs don’t seem impressed with his accuracy, more mobile then Cousins but not all that effective running or moving with his legs. I predict next season to be his worse season, we can review after the season.
Have his WRs ever been on the level of Thielen, Diggs and Justin Jefferson? Maybe Baker not all that impressed with Higgins, Hodge and DPJ. Landry decent but as a slot guy, not a #1 guy. also hurt much of last season.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Excuse me. I'm pretty sure you said the Browns should keep him just in case Watson is suspended for multiple games. I know many who you're currently attempting to throw dirt at said Baker will not play for Cleveland again.
I mean, I showed you my exact post and there are many more like it. Thought at best a 25% chance he'd stay.

would I have kept him over Brissett if either had to play entire season? I'd certainly prefer to go with baker or someone better than JB.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We said he'd be released at final cut day. Now we'll never know, but yes I say that would have happened
and you may have been right. Just like if watson gets a year suspension AND they think Baker is clearly better than JB they may have rolled with Baker if no better option.

But starting to look like he wont get a year suspension....could also make a play for JG if he does.

Only thing I didn't see happening (or would have been disappointed if it did) is/was JB at QB entire season with a watson suspension.