• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is Baker Mayfield a Bust?

Is Baker Mayfield a Bust?

• Yes

Votes: 35 26.5%
  • No

Votes: 50 37.9%
  • Will tell you at the end of the season

Votes: 35 26.5%
  • Taters

Votes: 12 9.1%

• Total voters

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,057.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TB is also a prime spot for Mayfield. I do think teams like the Rams and Bucs are the ones that Mayfield ends up on, because what does Mayfield do for non contenders? Not much really and in fact likely sets back rebuilding the roster.
Stafford isnt retiring any time soon & unless Brady confirms with Mayfield that he is next year. Mayfield wont go there either.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How did that work out for the Texans? Any championships or were they still bottom feeders?
They won a playoff game and think made the playoffs another season. Our roster is a bit better. Kind of a silly analogy. I guess by your "logic" you'd say thanks but no thanks if LA called and offered Herbert? Not a bottom feeder but I guess no interest in Allen either since no title?

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,057.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is a reason no other teams want Baker. Everyone is pretty much in agreement that Baker isn't a starting quality QB, especially considering the money he wants. He also had a pretty stacked offensive team including HOF WR and the 2 best RB's in the league and did nothing with them. Imagine if he had weak offensive assets. That would likely be the worst team in the NFL imo
that is where you're wrong.
They know if they wait they can get him for pennies on the dollar. Without giving up more.
He could be a starter for half the teams out there.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is a reason no other teams want Baker. Everyone is pretty much in agreement that Baker isn't a starting quality QB, especially considering the money he wants. He also had a pretty stacked offensive team including HOF WR and the 2 best RB's in the league and did nothing with them. Imagine if he had weak offensive assets. That would likely be the worst team in the NFL imo
Well aside from Seattle and Carolina the other teams either have their 2022 QB, or thier future QB already on the roster.

If a few more teams were in Seattle or Carolinas position the trade value for Baker would be much higher.

Right now by reports the Panthers are the only team with a trade offer, so why would they compete for Baker against themselves?

If/when he's released more teams will contact him.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could see him agreeing to BU Stafford just for a chance at a SB, but if he's going to agree to be a BU, I see Tampa as a prime spot. Still a SB contender, and he could show he's Brady's replacement for 2023.
don't see him wanting to be the backup in LA (not that he'd have a choice) but agree TB might not be a bad spot.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd say Baker at 15-20 and all those picks to make your team better is less risk than hoping Watson plays and plays at that top 5 level.

People will call me nuts here, but if I were a GM, I don't think I'd pay any QB top dollar on a 2nd contract. I'd keep rolling with rookie contract guys building very good teams to plug them into.

Yes that would include Dak in my plan.
Something to that as not many teams lately win titles with megadeals for the QB if I'm not mistaken. Rams might have been first in a while though might be wrong about that.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OBJ a HOFer? Debatable....never mind he didn't play much the last 2 seasons for us. did nothing with the RBs? 11-5 and a playoff win is nothing, especially considering where the Browns were?

Not sure everyone is in agreement he is not even starting quality. Guessing most think he is starter level.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stafford isnt retiring any time soon & unless Brady confirms with Mayfield that he is next year. Mayfield wont go there either.
Not sure he has a choice but agree he wouldn't want to go to LA (or TB unless he knew TB was done as you said).

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They won a playoff game and think made the playoffs another season. Our roster is a bit better. Kind of a silly analogy. I guess by your "logic" you'd say thanks but no thanks if LA called and offered Herbert? Not a bottom feeder but I guess no interest in Allen either since no title?
My logic says that the Browns would be in a stronger position without the trade.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well aside from Seattle and Carolina the other teams either have their 2022 QB, or thier future QB already on the roster.

If a few more teams were in Seattle or Carolinas position the trade value for Baker would be much higher.

Right now by reports the Panthers are the only team with a trade offer, so why would they compete for Baker against themselves?

If/when he's released more teams will contact him.
Still don't think he gets released but agree with most of that. would add probably some teams who don't have their QB but want to tank.

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,057.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure he has a choice but agree he wouldn't want to go to LA (or TB unless he knew TB was done as you said).
no one will trade for a disgruntled player. He would have some say.
Also no one is paying 18+ mil for a player to be a back up. (well maybe the eagles)

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My logic says that the Browns would be in a stronger position without the trade.
If you believe that you must really have a high opinion of Baker. I mean, a similar trade by LA worked and guessing most think Watson is better than stafford. Hell, might be some here who think Goff is better than baker.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no one will trade for a disgruntled player. He would have some say.
Also no one is paying 18+ mil for a player to be a back up. (well maybe the eagles)
I cannot see a team with a clear #1 who isn't likely to retire any time soon going after Baker (like LA). That's the reason that deal doesn't happen IMO, not because Baker wouldn't like it. TB maybe another story.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you believe that you must really have a high opinion of Baker. I mean, a similar trade by LA worked and guessing most think Watson is better than stafford. Hell, might be some here who think Goff is better than baker.
Rams have a much better roster and still needed things to fall right, it’s not a path with good odds. Also your over looking the fact that Watson is facing a suspension, coming with a much more expensive salary and much more guarantee money then Stafford.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rams have a much better roster and still needed things to fall right, it’s not a path with good odds. Also your over looking the fact that Watson is facing a suspension, coming with a much more expensive salary and much more guarantee money then Stafford.
"much better roster"? Browns are pretty stacked at RB, the O-line as well as DBs and safety. 1 elite DE and another very good one.

sure, Watson is facing a suspension but who knows how long that will be and we still have him likely at least 4 years after this one. If you don't feel he can still be a top tier QB that's another story.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"much better roster"? Browns are pretty stacked at RB, the O-line as well as DBs and safety. 1 elite DE and another very good one.

sure, Watson is facing a suspension but who knows how long that will be and we still have him likely at least 4 years after this one. If you don't feel he can still be a top tier QB that's another story.
Yes who knows how long the suspension will be if one is given ( which seems likely) then Watson sky high salary will impact the Brows ability to retain or add players and they won’t have the premium draft capital to add top prospects via the draft. Good luck with that.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes who knows how long the suspension will be if one is given ( which seems likely) then Watson sky high salary will impact the Brows ability to retain or add players and they won’t have the premium draft capital to add top prospects via the draft. Good luck with that.
A long suspension (like a year) helps the Browns when it comes to the cap as watson's base will be $1.035 mil in 2023, which saves us $40 mil. As of now, we can carry over around another $40 mil from 2022 to 2023.

Noticed you didn't address the idea the Rams have a "much better roster". They also acquired that much better roster using very few #1 picks or a ton of draft capital. Ironic, huh?