• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is Baker Mayfield a Bust?

Is Baker Mayfield a Bust?

• Yes

Votes: 35 26.5%
  • No

Votes: 50 37.9%
  • Will tell you at the end of the season

Votes: 35 26.5%
  • Taters

Votes: 12 9.1%

• Total voters

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be cool to see him crush it in Seattle. There is a window opportunity for Baker to succeed. I mean, Seahawks like QBs below average height, right?

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,571.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baker was hurt and had a rough season. He didn't bitch out and not play, something some QB's would do it.

He gets the benefit of the doubt for playing hurt IMO. He is hardly a scrub.

ElPatron1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't say a bust. Just an average QB, def not on the level of the top QB's

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baker was hurt and had a rough season. He didn't bitch out and not play, something some QB's would do it.

He gets the benefit of the doubt for playing hurt IMO. He is hardly a scrub.
Last season play has raised a lot of doubt about Mayfield. Yes he had an injured shoulder, but to his non throwing shoulder and it wasn’t bad enough to keep him from playing and frankly a lot of bad plays Mayfield had wasn’t due to that shoulder IMO. Apparently the Browns saw it that way otherwise they won’t have made what is obvious a desperation move in trading for Watson. Could be Mayfield gets traded to a team as a back up. The Rams come to mind, because they are all in and have enough talent to believe they could get by with Mayfield if Stafford goes down. The cost to the Rams would have to be affordable. Is Mayfield market nearing that affordable cost? I think it is, but we will have to wait and see. Who knows maybe if the cost is right the Raiders trade for him as a backup.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,571.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last season play has raised a lot of doubt about Mayfield. Yes he had an injured shoulder, but to his non throwing shoulder and it wasn’t bad enough to keep him from playing and frankly a lot of bad plays Mayfield had wasn’t due to that shoulder IMO. Apparently the Browns saw it that way otherwise they won’t have made what is obvious a desperation move in trading for Watson. Could be Mayfield gets traded to a team as a back up. The Rams come to mind, because they are all in and have enough talent to believe they could get by with Mayfield if Stafford goes down. The cost to the Rams would have to be affordable. Is Mayfield market nearing that affordable cost? I think it is, but we will have to wait and see. Who knows maybe if the cost is right the Raiders trade for him as a backup.
I don't see it as desperate. Teams are always trying to improve and Watson is a top 5-7 QB in the League.

I don't think Mayfield would be happy with the Rams or Raiders. He'll end up somewhere he can start, Carolina or Seattle.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Browns had a chance to acquire a top tier QB and did. Guessing they'd have rolled with Baker had Watson not been available. I'd hope they be "desperate" with all players and replace them with better ones when they can.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see it as desperate. Teams are always trying to improve and Watson is a top 5-7 QB in the League.

I don't think Mayfield would be happy with the Rams or Raiders. He'll end up somewhere he can start, Carolina or Seattle.
Beat me to the first comment. Not sure how much it matters where he'd be happy. It's who can/will offer the best deal.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,571.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think so either unless a starter went down before they inquired about Baker.
That.

The Rams backups are Woolford and Perkins, not good.

We have Nick Mullens but I wouldn't want to roll with him for more than 2-3 games.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Considering the cost, baggage and risk it certainly was a desperation move no matter if you consider him a top 5 QB, not a move one would expect from a team that felt they had a NFL starting QB already. Mayfield at this point just wants out of Cleveland and backing up Stafford could be a good be a good fit as he could work at learning the offense while sitting and be ready if Stafford is injured to be on a Super Bowl level roster. Imagine how that could aid his résumé,

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Considering the cost, baggage and risk it certainly was a desperation move no matter if you consider him a top 5 QB, not a move one would expect from a team that felt they had a NFL starting QB already. Mayfield at this point just wants out of Cleveland and backing up Stafford could be a good be a good fit as he could work at learning the offense while sitting and be ready if Stafford is injured to be on a Super Bowl level roster. Imagine how that could aid his résumé,
I mean, if they think Baker's starting level at, say, 15-20, they should not acquire a guy they think can be top 5 or so? why, exactly?

You think a team is going to pay Baker based on sitting, learning and being ready? Would he prefer that to being a backup here? Absolutely, but not over a chance to start somewhere as more likely he can be paid based on playing.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, if they think Baker's starting level at, say, 15-20, they should not acquire a guy they think can be top 5 or so? why, exactly?
Cost to high, risk to high, too much baggage and not necessary.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
could end up biting us. But what if he plays like a top 5 QB for half a decade starting in 2022 or even 2023?
How did that work out for the Texans? Any championships or were they still bottom feeders?

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could see him agreeing to BU Stafford just for a chance at a SB, but if he's going to agree to be a BU, I see Tampa as a prime spot. Still a SB contender, and he could show he's Brady's replacement for 2023.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You think a team is going to pay Baker based on sitting, learning and being ready? Would he prefer that to being a backup here? Absolutely, but not over a chance to start somewhere as more likely he can be paid based on playing.
I'd say Baker at 15-20 and all those picks to make your team better is less risk than hoping Watson plays and plays at that top 5 level.

People will call me nuts here, but if I were a GM, I don't think I'd pay any QB top dollar on a 2nd contract. I'd keep rolling with rookie contract guys building very good teams to plug them into.

Yes that would include Dak in my plan.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could see him agreeing to BU Stafford just for a chance at a SB, but if he's going to agree to be a BU, I see Tampa as a prime spot. Still a SB contender, and he could show he's Brady's replacement for 2023.
TB is also a prime spot for Mayfield. I do think teams like the Rams and Bucs are the ones that Mayfield ends up on, because what does Mayfield do for non contenders? Not much really and in fact likely sets back rebuilding the roster.

ElPatron1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd say Baker at 15-20 and all those picks to make your team better is less risk than hoping Watson plays and plays at that top 5 level.

People will call me nuts here, but if I were a GM, I don't think I'd pay any QB top dollar on a 2nd contract. I'd keep rolling with rookie contract guys building very good teams to plug them into.

Yes that would include Dak in my plan.

There is a reason no other teams want Baker. Everyone is pretty much in agreement that Baker isn't a starting quality QB, especially considering the money he wants. He also had a pretty stacked offensive team including HOF WR and the 2 best RB's in the league and did nothing with them. Imagine if he had weak offensive assets. That would likely be the worst team in the NFL imo