• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is Baker Mayfield a Bust?

Is Baker Mayfield a Bust?

• Yes

Votes: 35 26.5%
  • No

Votes: 50 37.9%
  • Will tell you at the end of the season

Votes: 35 26.5%
  • Taters

Votes: 12 9.1%

• Total voters

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An injury will happen and teams will be willing to trade a 3rd for Mayfield at 8-9 mill.
Even with an injury - I don't see a team giving up a 3rd.

They'll eat 12M of his salary and get a 5th/6th in return, IMO.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes we will. How often do we see QB season ending injuries? It happens but it's not an annual occurrence.
This is true. Many point to what happened to Bradford but this isn't a common occurrence.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even with an injury - I don't see a team giving up a 3rd.

They'll eat 12M of his salary and get a 5th/6th in return, IMO.
Maybe...but my guess is they may prefer to have him as an insurance policy over those parameters.

who really knows?

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe...but my guess is they may prefer to have him as an insurance policy over those parameters.

who really knows?
This is where I think you're completely wrong.

All signs point to the Browns wanting nothing to do with Mayfield.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is where I think you're completely wrong.

All signs point to the Browns wanting nothing to do with Mayfield.
Like most who have an opinion on this I'm not dismissing yours out of hand. You might be spot on. I mean, ideally, I'm sure they want to see a much shorter suspension for watson than a year (like 6-8 games or less) in which case they can certainly live without Baker as I'm confident is the preference.

However, IF they believe Baker is a much better QB than Brissett I'm not sure they'd play a lesser QB for an entire season....a season in which they have SB aspirations. at least not if they cannot get a deal they think helps for baker.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
However, IF they believe Baker is a much better QB than Brissett I'm not sure they'd play a lesser QB for an entire season....a season in which they have SB aspirations. at least not if they cannot get a deal they think helps for baker.
You're wrong about all of this, no matter how many times you post this dribble and frankly, come off uninformed

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like most who have an opinion on this I'm not dismissing yours out of hand. You might be spot on. I mean, ideally, I'm sure they want to see a much shorter suspension for watson than a year (like 6-8 games or less) in which case they can certainly live without Baker as I'm confident is the preference.

Everyone knows Mayfield is better than Brissett.
the problem with your argument is. You keep wanting to argue what makes the most sense on paper. Not what the reality is in the NFL. With the divide between the front office & Mayfield. He wont be playing for the Browns this year. This is the way it is going to be.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the problem with your argument is. You keep wanting to argue what makes the most sense on paper. Not what the reality is in the NFL. With the divide between the front office & Mayfield. He wont be playing for the Browns this year. This is the way it is going to be.
That's what he's either not getting or simply ignoring.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the bizzare world of dtgold-ville, he'd have you believe this is all a calculated move by the FO.

They didn't do anything wrong. If they made other decisions the coward non answer hater group would just say the Brownies brownied something else. Not sure why a statement like that would bother him. People have been saying that for 60 years.

Geeze, you think he'd be used to it.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the bizzare world of dtgold-ville, he'd have you believe this is all a calculated move by the FO.

They didn't do anything wrong. If they made other decisions the coward non answer hater group would just say the Brownies brownied something else. Not sure why a statement like that would bother him. People have been saying that for 60 years.

Geeze, you think he'd be used to it.

Def not 60 years. Three AFC championship appearances in 4 years in the late 80s. They've basically been a dumpster fire since they came back. Although not all that ironically Jacksonville, Houston have not been any better. Carolina slightly moreso with 2 super bowl appearances.

Point being a strong foundation and FO matters more in the NFL than in any other sport. The Browns haven't had that. Until the Watson move AB was doing very well. It's a huge risk and not one I would've done but we will see how it works out.

Clearly they didn't think Baker was the guy.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We look at the Browns as the "Browns" because they maintained the name and everything else. But the foundation went to Baltimore. Had they had Ozzie for 20 years obviously all would be different.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're wrong about all of this, no matter how many times you post this dribble and frankly, come off uninformed
some of my believing what I believe comes from other players so I guess they are uninformed? Most I've heard interviewed here say players don't really care about the things the media and fans think they do. They focus so much on their own work and what they need to do to worry about the drama. Next what they care about is winning and their contracts.

what, exactly, am I wrong about, since I said I don't think he'll play again here? I'm just not Extreme Fan with an agenda who would rule it out completely.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The reality of what you are saying is the drama is possibly more media and fan driven than what the actual players, coaches and FO might believe.

I do get many will be taking misguided victory laps should Baker get moved. Misguided because I never said he will play (said 25% chance at best IMO).

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Def not 60 years. Three AFC championship appearances in 4 years in the late 80s. They've basically been a dumpster fire since they came back. Although not all that ironically Jacksonville, Houston have not been any better. Carolina slightly moreso with 2 super bowl appearances.

Point being a strong foundation and FO matters more in the NFL than in any other sport. The Browns haven't had that. Until the Watson move AB was doing very well. It's a huge risk and not one I would've done but we will see how it works out.

Clearly they didn't think Baker was the guy.
If the latter part is true hard to blame the FO for making this move. we were not going to be bad enough to get a high pick for a QB any time soon. A top tier QB became available. I mean, really, what is realistic worse case here? He gets suspended for a year (I highly doubt it is longer but even if it is...) then we have our QB the next 4-5 seasons and he is still no older than mid-30s when that period ends?

If this FO was making picks like previous ones I'd definitely be more concerned than I am.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We look at the Browns as the "Browns" because they maintained the name and everything else. But the foundation went to Baltimore. Had they had Ozzie for 20 years obviously all would be different.
No doubt....and even an elite FO exec like him has had his share of major whiffs (Boller and Travis Taylor come to mind).

One that still annoys me the most was the amount of talented FO people were in the room when Sapp fell into our laps and they decided to instead trade down and take Craig Powell. Seeing so many of them leave and go on to great success had to make us at least think we really were cursed.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's the truth.

"He's done with them, and they're done with him,"
Likely true for each. But if either side gets desperate (or both) that could change matters.

Those arguing with me are going at it like I have said he'll be back and it's what each side wants. I haven't. I'm just not an extreme fan.