• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is Baker Mayfield a Bust?

Is Baker Mayfield a Bust?

• Yes

Votes: 35 26.5%
  • No

Votes: 50 37.9%
  • Will tell you at the end of the season

Votes: 35 26.5%
  • Taters

Votes: 12 9.1%

• Total voters

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could see Mayfield getting $20M for 1 year. That would be top end of my expectations. I think he'll get less. Every chance Fields will be a starter for at least part of 2024. Will he be top 24 starter? Probably not. I wouldn't pick up his 5th year option. I wouldn't trade a 3rd round pick for him.

you may not but he will easily go for a 2nd if the Bears deal him.

20 mil 1 year? lol. please bookmark this so we can revisit how wrong you're going to be.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you may not but he will easily go for a 2nd if the Bears deal him.

20 mil 1 year? lol. please bookmark this so we can revisit how wrong you're going to be.
I think Tampa signs Baker for something in the area of 3 years/ 115-120 mil and maybe 70 mil guaranteed. He will be their starter for the next two years at least, imo.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,296.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Tampa signs Baker for something in the area of 3 years/ 115-120 mil and maybe 70 mil guaranteed. He will be their starter for the next two years at least, imo.
That's even more optimistic than I think but it's possible since QB's get the bag.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who are two guys that have played for hal as many teams combined, as Baker, the last two years.

Darts are darts.

Like I said...if Baker doesn't injure his labrum on a pick he's probably still in Cleveland. But some of his vagabond stuff also falls on him...for sure.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was thinking they offer him less than that. With all the new QB’s being drafted, it’s a buyers market in my opinion.

I could see them offering Baker a 3 year $80 million and fully guaranteeing it. Lots of starting QB’s from the last few seasons will be available from now till the beginning of next season, I don’t think Baker wants to date them to investigate other options to closely.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,296.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was thinking they offer him less than that. With all the new QB’s being drafted, it’s a buyers market in my opinion.

I could see them offering Baker a 3 year $80 million and fully guaranteeing it. Lots of starting QB’s from the last few seasons will be available from now till the beginning of next season, I don’t think Baker wants to date them to investigate other options to closely.
There aren't many good QB's available in this FA class....Mayfield is better than what will be out there.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There aren't many good QB's available in this FA class....Mayfield is better than what will be out there.
Regardless, there are some good QB's available (or will be available), so if Baker asks the bank in long term contract, they have legitimate options. The last thing he wants to do is give them a reason to investigate other options. He's got the starting job on lock down if he doesn't get silly with his demands.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Regardless, there are some good QB's available, so if Baker asks for the bank, they have legitimate options.

I think he will be reasonable relative to the qb market 25 million for 3 years or something like that.

That would set him up for a big final contract if he plays well.

But I believe he's a UFA so that could drive his price up

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
or they can tag him I guess.

which to me is bullshit. You shouldn't be able to franchise someone you signed to a one year deal.

that would be 1 year 36.3 mil

they currently sit at 48 mil in cap space so you would think a 3 year lower annual would better serve them if they see him as a functional qb for the next 3 years.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he will be reasonable relative to the qb market 25 million for 3 years or something like that.

That would set him up for a big final contract if he plays well.

But I believe he's a UFA so that could drive his price up

Well, my above proposal had him at around $27 million guaranteed for 3 years. The last thing Baker wants to do is give TB a reason to even investigate other options. He owns the starting job if he doesn't demand too much.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
or they can tag him I guess.

which to me is bullshit. You shouldn't be able to franchise someone you signed to a one year deal.
That's an option I had not even considered. Actually, I think that would be a better option for TB. I don't think anyone in TB thinks that Baker is a long term answer, and certainly not someone you can build a SB winning team around. Although maybe I underestimate Baker. He's really had a solid year this year.

The bad part for Baker is that I can't imagine too many teams want him right now. At least not for a big paycheck. That's why he played for TB last year for $4 million. Baker needs to sign a team friendly deal as soon as he is offered. Starting jobs are hard to come by in the NFL.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's an option I had not even considered. Actually, I think that would be a better option for TB. I don't think anyone in TB thinks that Baker is a long term answer, and certainly not someone you can build a SB winning team around. Although maybe I underestimate Baker. He's really had a solid year this year.

The bad part for Baker is that I can't imagine too many teams want him right now. At least not for a big paycheck. That's why he played for TB last year for $4 million. Baker needs to sign a team friendly deal as soon as he is offered. Starting jobs are hard to come by in the NFL.

his value now to this time last year is night and day though.

We will see no use belaboring the point. I fully understand it's a qb heavy draft but if teams would take note of a guy like Jordan Love maybe we need to rethink this thing a little bit and let qbs marinate some.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
his value now to this time last year is night and day though.

We will see no use belaboring the point. I fully understand it's a qb heavy draft but if teams would take note of a guy like Jordan Love maybe we need to rethink this thing a little bit and let qbs marinate some.

Well, of course things change. He won a playoff game, but we are talking contract money. Love has no baggage and is 25 years old. Baker has played for numerous teams now and is 28.

I wouldn't be shocked if TB gave Baker something north of $30, but there is no way he is getting what Love is about to get in an extension. I think GB will back up the Brinks truck for Love (I could see north of $50 million per year for 5 years).

I think TB does something similar to what Minnesota did for Kirk Cousins. Offer him a fully guaranteed cont4act for 2-3 seasons worth around $30 million per year. I would think something like 3 year $80 or 2 year $65 million range, fully guaranteed.

I guess we'll see what TB thinks of Baker here in the next month or so.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,296.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are the one who said "there aren't many good QB's", so did you mean there are "any"?
Look at the list I provided.....you said he could miss out if Tampa signs one....LOL.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look at the list I provided.....you said he could miss out if Tampa signs one....LOL.

So when you said "there aren't many" you meant there aren't any. LOL