• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is Baker Mayfield a Bust?

Is Baker Mayfield a Bust?

• Yes

Votes: 35 26.5%
  • No

Votes: 50 37.9%
  • Will tell you at the end of the season

Votes: 35 26.5%
  • Taters

Votes: 12 9.1%

• Total voters

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cousins to the Falcons if BB is hired. He recently said he would love to play for BB.
Yeah, maybe that too. Tampa isn't trading for Fields and aren't in a position to draft anybody anyway. Baker earned a starting job for them for the next couple of years. It's just a matter of what they pay him, imo. My earlier estimate might be a little high, admittedly but the market these days is what it is. If Daniel Jones was able to parlay his small success into 40 mil per, I think Baker gets close because he has proven he's light years better than Danny Dimes.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,296.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There aren't many good QB's available in this FA class....Mayfield is better than what will be out there.
Reading comprehension is hard for some.

I said Mayfield will be better than what is available. LOL

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, maybe that too. Tampa isn't trading for Fields and aren't in a position to draft anybody anyway. Baker earned a starting job for them for the next couple of years. It's just a matter of what they pay him, imo. My earlier estimate might be a little high, admittedly but the market these days is what it is. If Daniel Jones was able to parlay his small success into 40 mil per, I think Baker gets close because he has proven he's light years better than Danny Dimes.

I just don't think the Daniel Jones contract is anything but mocked by most in the NFL. Similar to how everyone mocks the Watson contract by the Browns. I don't think anyone is going to replicate that mistake anytime soon. I'm not saying that Baker isn't more worthy of that type of contract than Jones, but I don't think TB will offer him $40 million. I've been surprised before though when it comes to Baker. Didn't see him going #1.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reading comprehension is hard for some.

I said Mayfield will be better than what is available. LOL

Again, you said "there aren't many good QB's"...that says that you think there are some good QB options. I'm sorry I agreed with you now, I didn't think you would abandon that statement.

Why are you arguing against your own words?

I never said that any of them were better than Baker, I'm not sure anyone said that, so why are you pointing that out?

Again, are you just looking to argue about things?

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 15,296.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, you said "there aren't many good QB's"...that says that you think there are some good QB's.

Why are you arguing against your own words?

I never said that any of them were better than Baker, I'm not sure anyone said that, so why are you pointing that out?
You did. You said Tampa might go in another direction.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 15,296.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lots of starting QB’s from the last few seasons will be available from now till the beginning of next season, I don’t think Baker wants to date them to investigate other options to closely.

:L

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You did. You said Tampa might go in another direction.

Yes, but please continue to read my statement....if he demands a huge, long contract.

I'm not sure why you are struggling to understand that. Maybe I just wasn't clear enough...I'm sorry for that. I didn't realize you didn't understand what I was saying.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem is that both Daniel Jones and Geno Smith are now not considered good contracts.

TB may offer him more than around $30 million a year for 3 years, but do they want to invest that much into a guy with his baggage? I mean, do they really believe he could take them to the SB, especially as he is getting older?

I think they keep it short and sweet. They offer him a 3 years $80 million fully guaranteed contract, or a 2 year $65 million fully guaranteed. If he rebuffs, just franchise tag him.

I've been wrong many times before, so maybe they do drop a $100+ contract on his lap though.
The only thing I would argue against is the fully guaranteed thing. Whatever he gets (and you may be right that it's much lower than I predicted), they will have an out fairly quickly if things go south. They may fill it with incentives like Seattle did with Geno too. It's kinda hard to say for sure. It's just that despite any baggage that Baker may have had, he has been a model citizen for TB and a good leader this year. I think his struggles have humbled him a little but he still carries the chip on his shoulder. I just think he's a much superior QB to Jones and is younger than Geno and probably has an edge on Geno aas well. Although I kinda think Geno and Baker are pretty close, talent wise.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only thing I would argue against is the fully guaranteed thing. Whatever he gets (and you may be right that it's much lower than I predicted), they will have an out fairly quickly if things go south. They may fill it with incentives like Seattle did with Geno too. It's kinda hard to say for sure. It's just that despite any baggage that Baker may have had, he has been a model citizen for TB and a good leader this year. I think his struggles have humbled him a little but he still carries the chip on his shoulder. I just think he's a much superior QB to Jones and is younger than Geno and probably has an edge on Geno aas well. Although I kinda think Geno and Baker are pretty close, talent wise.
ah...they can front load it into the first 2 years. If they do sign Baker, they are stuck for at least 2 years or risk a big cap hit.

Fully guaranteeing it will ensure that he signs it quickly...in my opinion. It also gives him 2 full years to earn another contract. He could get another nice contract as he will still be around 30 years old in 2 years.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You laughed at me, and argued with me for nearly saying the exact same things you are saying.

Honestly, I don't understand where you are coming from. I feel like we pretty much agree, but you just want to argue. :noidea:

I think he thought you meant 25 million total for 3 years.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know what @DJ is arguing about. I thought I spelled everything out pretty clearly.

I'm sorry, but I feel like I'm agreeing with him for the most part and he is still arguing with me and laughing at it.

who knows

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are 22 QBs who are all but set in stone as starters for their current teams in 2024. I think the Seahawks will retain Smith and make that 23. There are 2 projected starting QBs in unstable situations, (Cousins & Wilson), who could/should be starters somewhere in the NFL. The 9 teams without certain starters are: Patriots (3 34), Steelers (20), Titans (7 38), Broncos (12), Commanders (2 36 40), Vikings (11 42), Bears (1 9), Buccaneers (26), Falcons (8 43), with top 50 Draft picks in brackets.

There are 0 projected starters who are expected to retire and there are 6 QBs, (as of Jan 22 2024), expected to be picked in the top 50 picks in the Draft. That's 31 potential starters excluding: Justin Fields, Ryan Tannehill, Baker Mayfield, Gardner Minshew, Kenny Pickett, Sam Howell, Taylor Heinicke, Sam Darnold, Jameis Winston, Joshua Dobbs, Jacoby Brissett, Mason Rudolph, Jake Browning, Drew Lock, Tyrod Taylor, Will Levis, Mike White, Taysom Hill, Mac Jones, Tyler Huntley, Aidan O'Connell, Andy Dalton, Marcus Mariota, Blaine Gabbert, Carson Wentz, Mitchell Trubisky, Zach Wilson, & others. There will be a few teams that end up with more than 1 of the 31 potential starting QBs. If there are 3 or 4 vacancies it'll be a buyers market for those players listed in red. Paying big money or trading a high pick for any of them would be dumb. If Rodgers and/or Wilson retire then it's a different situation, but right now it's supply and demand. The demand is for 32 starters and supply is at an all time high.

NB: This isn't kicking Fields. The Bears are likely to commit to a rookie QB. If they don't then Fields starts and there's 1 less starting spot available for those in red.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are 22 QBs who are all but set in stone as starters for their current teams in 2024. I think the Seahawks will retain Smith and make that 23. There are 2 projected starting QBs in unstable situations, (Cousins & Wilson), who could/should be starters somewhere in the NFL. The 9 teams without certain starters are: Patriots (3 34), Steelers (20), Titans (7 38), Broncos (12), Commanders (2 36 40), Vikings (11 42), Bears (1 9), Buccaneers (26), Falcons (8 43), with top 50 Draft picks in brackets.

There are 0 projected starters who are expected to retire and there are 6 QBs, (as of Jan 22 2024), expected to be picked in the top 50 picks in the Draft. That's 31 potential starters excluding: Justin Fields, Ryan Tannehill, Baker Mayfield, Gardner Minshew, Kenny Pickett, Sam Howell, Taylor Heinicke, Sam Darnold, Jameis Winston, Joshua Dobbs, Jacoby Brissett, Mason Rudolph, Jake Browning, Drew Lock, Tyrod Taylor, Will Levis, Mike White, Taysom Hill, Mac Jones, Tyler Huntley, Aidan O'Connell, Andy Dalton, Marcus Mariota, Blaine Gabbert, Carson Wentz, Mitchell Trubisky, Zach Wilson, & others. There will be a few teams that end up with more than 1 of the 31 potential starting QBs. If there are 3 or 4 vacancies it'll be a buyers market for those players listed in red. Paying big money or trading a high pick for any of them would be dumb. If Rodgers and/or Wilson retire then it's a different situation, but right now it's supply and demand. The demand is for 32 starters and supply is at an all time high.

NB: This isn't kicking Fields. The Bears are likely to commit to a rookie QB. If they don't then Fields starts and there's 1 less starting spot available for those in red.

how many of those qbs are you taking over Baker?

and Not every rookie qb selected in the top 50 will start.

You can also add the Giants to that list as it's highly unlikely they keep Jones at his cap hits for 25 and 26

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 15,296.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You can also add the Giants to that list as it's highly unlikely they keep Jones at his cap hits for 25 and 26
What's hilarious is most of the guys he has listed in red are clear backups....not starters.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 15,296.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And good point on the rookie QB's.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It doesn't matter if the rookie doesn't start. QBs are currently expected to go #1, #2, #3, with 3 more in the top 50. Any team planning to spend a top 50 pick on a QB isn't going to sign a veteran QB to a big money, multi-year deal with high guarantees. They'll have a cheap(ish) place-holder as their alternative. The Steelers could pick a QB. If the rookie doesn't start they'll go with the QBs they already have, (which is why Pickett, Rudolph, and Trubisky are on the red list. They're placeholder starters). The Steelers aren't guaranteeing Mayfield $70M and then using a top 50 pick on a QB.

Jones has $35.5M fully guaranteed for 2024. He's starting somewhere. If the Giants part pay his salary and give up a pick to have another team take him he's still starting somewhere. All it does is change the name of the team looking for a QB not increase the number of teams looking for a QB.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So basically that list is about all the teams looking for a QB1. My thinking on Baker is that the Bucs want him and they don't have a lot of options as far as drafting someone anyway. So I see them working out some type of deal that keeps him there for 2-3 years. Frankly, of all the guys that will be available out there, I don't see a single one that I would truly want over Baker. Given that he's still relatively young and in his prime and seems to have a really good rapport with his teammates. Baker also looked a lot more mature in these two play-off starts. Not saying he can take Tampa to a SB but he's a better option at this point in time than anybody else and he's good enough to have them as a play-off team.