• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is anyone as sick of Bill Simmons as me?

Lakers+USC=#1

Fuck CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So NBA analysis is better when they aren't talking about basketball?

No, I love when they are entertaining, while talking about basket. They are also better, when they are not being political correct.

LALakersboy24.7

I am the Lizard King
Hoopla Cash
$ 206.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I publicly hate the Celtics, but you would never see me wear a Celtic sweater. :pound:

10492530_917807121578850_5745325375925752117_n.jpg

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:L

I have no idea why people like the TNT guys. Its like a bunch of third graders who get paid to goof off with some occasional insight from Barkley

That's why we like them.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of all the things to complain about on ESPN, Bill Simmons is near the bottom of the list.

Watching Sportsnation, First Take or Numbers Never Lie is right up there next to waterboarding. Seriously, Numbers Never Lie might be the worst thing on TV

With Michelle Beadle, Skip Bayless ,and now Bill Simmons; ESPN is losing credibility and respect with the people they hire. The sad thing is, the latter was brought in to help with the ratings against the TNT crew of Shaq, Barkley and Kenny Smith.

I don't agree with Hammer often, but Simmons is pretty worthless. His little tirade when the Heat were able to trade for Napier last night was epic on so many levels.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Simmons was a douche last night with his rant.

Miami made the GIGANTIC move from freaking #26 all the way up to #24, and that asshat was acting like there was a conspiracy of idiotic GMs purposely making Miami good.

It was a freaking two spot move...in the bottom half of the draft.

Douchebag Simmons was probably practicing that "MIAMI rant" at home in front of his mother.

He was going to let loose with it regardless of how completely idiotic it was at the time because his mommy though it sounded good.

Really...beavis settle down....#26 to #24 is not some horrible conspiracy.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If a person likes his writing, I don't understand how you can't like him on TV from a content standpoint because its the same thing. It's all his opinions and he pulls no punches. He's a superfan, and actually has a pretty deep historical knowledge of the NBA. He likely knows more about the NBA than most on here. And that's how he contributes and what makes it worthwhile. His role is to broach topics from an outsider's and fan's perspective so others with perspective from inside the game can enlighten us all. It works more or less but it would be better if ESPN had better people to go around him (Like the draft crew worked so much better than the Countdown crew).

But from a technical standpoint when it comes to operating on TV, he does have some things he can work on. He really really loves the NBA, which is great, but it works against him sometimes because he gets too excited about a topic and will interrupt. That can be a bit off putting after awhile. There's only a little time each segment and sometimes he's too eager wants to talk about everything. It also helps if you have a good host to corral people like him to keep things flowing. EJ does that on TNT, Rece Davis did ok with is. Sage Steele is awful at it. The one time Michelle Beadle filled in for her, Beadle totally blew her away.

From what I've seen, most of the Simmons hate stems from the fact that he does like "your team". I don't care that he likes the Celtics. Hell, he's often more critical of Boston than he is the other teams. I can live with a person doing that. Yes, he likes his team and doesn't hide it, but he can still stand back enough to offer insight. I actually think Simmons is one of the better analyst ESPN has had. Magic, as much as I love him, might be one of the worst analyst of any sport ever. Magic would start talking and by the time he was done, you'd wonder what the hell the guy was talking about. He'd start with a point and trail off into 5 others. And he's better than Jalen Rose too. Rose looks uncomfortable on live TV. You can tell he's one of those guys that curses a lot in real life so he's purposefully calculating what he says. The result is some times he doesn't even make a complete sentence or he says a canned statement that literally has nothing to do with what's being talked about. It's weird to watch because he's not like that if you listen to his Grantland stuff with Simmons (which is prerecorded). And it's not just ESPN guys either. Simmons isn't any worse that Shaq or Reggie Miller over on TNT. Shaq has gotten a bit better but 3/4s of his entire airtime is just hating on Dwight Howard because he's still jealous Howard stole the "Superman" stuff or some other juvenile reason. And Miller just goes off on tangents that turns into jokes about Marv Albert or Craig Sager. So if you really listen to what Simmons is providing content wise, its not much different and sometimes better than a lot of others. The hate just stems from something personal that you can't get over whether its his look, voice, or the fact that he's not a fan of your team. And if its something along the lines of "well he never played, what does he know" then I guess you should never value anything a newspaper or media reporter ever says about anything ever.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If a person likes his writing, I don't understand how you can't like him on TV from a content standpoint because its the same thing. It's all his opinions and he pulls no punches. He's a superfan, and actually has a pretty deep historical knowledge of the NBA. He likely knows more about the NBA than most on here. And that's how he contributes and what makes it worthwhile. His role is to broach topics from an outsider's and fan's perspective so others with perspective from inside the game can enlighten us all. It works more or less but it would be better if ESPN had better people to go around him (Like the draft crew worked so much better than the Countdown crew).

But from a technical standpoint when it comes to operating on TV, he does have some things he can work on. He really really loves the NBA, which is great, but it works against him sometimes because he gets too excited about a topic and will interrupt. That can be a bit off putting after awhile. There's only a little time each segment and sometimes he's too eager wants to talk about everything. It also helps if you have a good host to corral people like him to keep things flowing. EJ does that on TNT, Rece Davis did ok with is. Sage Steele is awful at it. The one time Michelle Beadle filled in for her, Beadle totally blew her away.

From what I've seen, most of the Simmons hate stems from the fact that he does like "your team". I don't care that he likes the Celtics. Hell, he's often more critical of Boston than he is the other teams. I can live with a person doing that. Yes, he likes his team and doesn't hide it, but he can still stand back enough to offer insight. I actually think Simmons is one of the better analyst ESPN has had. Magic, as much as I love him, might be one of the worst analyst of any sport ever. Magic would start talking and by the time he was done, you'd wonder what the hell the guy was talking about. He'd start with a point and trail off into 5 others. And he's better than Jalen Rose too. Rose looks uncomfortable on live TV. You can tell he's one of those guys that curses a lot in real life so he's purposefully calculating what he says. The result is some times he doesn't even make a complete sentence or he says a canned statement that literally has nothing to do with what's being talked about. It's weird to watch because he's not like that if you listen to his Grantland stuff with Simmons (which is prerecorded). And it's not just ESPN guys either. Simmons isn't any worse that Shaq or Reggie Miller over on TNT. Shaq has gotten a bit better but 3/4s of his entire airtime is just hating on Dwight Howard because he's still jealous Howard stole the "Superman" stuff or some other juvenile reason. And Miller just goes off on tangents that turns into jokes about Marv Albert or Craig Sager. So if you really listen to what Simmons is providing content wise, its not much different and sometimes better than a lot of others. The hate just stems from something personal that you can't get over whether its his look, voice, or the fact that he's not a fan of your team. And if its something along the lines of "well he never played, what does he know" then I guess you should never value anything a newspaper or media reporter ever says about anything ever.

I agree with most of the stuff you're saying, except for this. I remember him criticizing the Anthony Bennett pick. Not because of his skillset (as we all found out it was lacking later on during the season), but for the fact that he wouldn't be able to guard Lebron. I'm willing to look past that he doesn't like the Heat, I'm OK with it. Most on this forum don't like the Heat, it's just the way it is. But I don't consider him to be some great basketball mind - historian, sure - but not basketball savy in that sense.

hockey878

Hoopla Cash
$ 300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i like doug collins

stillmatic32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His presentation is just awful. His voice is annoying. He's girly. Sure he knows a good bit about basketball, but presentation is a big part of what you do in his field and his is the worst.

stillmatic32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, I'm a huge fan of his writing. I've read his book. Huge fan of Grantland, get excited when see he has an article. Been a fan since Page 2.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I cant stand Bill Simmons. Worse than Stephen A Smith.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ESPN suspends Bill Simmons for 3 weeks after Roger Goodell remark.

Bill Simmons called NFL commissioner Roger Goodell a liar during a profanity-laced tirade on his podcast this week and then dared his bosses at ESPN to punish him for his words.

On Wednesday, his bosses did just that as Simmons was suspended three weeks by ESPN.

Here's ESPN's statement:

"Every employee must be accountable to ESPN and those engaged in our editorial operations must also operate within ESPN's journalistic standards. We have worked hard to ensure that our recent NFL coverage has met that criteria. Bill Simmons did not meet those obligations in a recent podcast, and as a result we have suspended him for three weeks."

Here's what Simmons said on his podcast, the "B.S. Report":

"I really hope somebody calls me or emails me and says I'm in trouble for anything I say about Roger Goodell, because if one person says that to me, I'm going public. You leave me alone. The commissioner's a liar and I get to talk about that on my podcast. Thank you."

We might not hear from Simmons on Twitter during his suspension, according to Sports Illustrated's Richard Deitsch

ESPN suspends Bill Simmons three weeks for remarks on Roger Goodell | FOX Sports

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope he catches lots of fish.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bill Simmons called NFL commissioner Roger Goodell a liar during a profanity-laced tirade on his podcast this week and then dared his bosses at ESPN to punish him for his words.

On Wednesday, his bosses did just that as Simmons was suspended three weeks by ESPN.

Here's ESPN's statement:

"Every employee must be accountable to ESPN and those engaged in our editorial operations must also operate within ESPN's journalistic standards. We have worked hard to ensure that our recent NFL coverage has met that criteria. Bill Simmons did not meet those obligations in a recent podcast, and as a result we have suspended him for three weeks."

Here's what Simmons said on his podcast, the "B.S. Report":

"I really hope somebody calls me or emails me and says I'm in trouble for anything I say about Roger Goodell, because if one person says that to me, I'm going public. You leave me alone. The commissioner's a liar and I get to talk about that on my podcast. Thank you."

We might not hear from Simmons on Twitter during his suspension, according to Sports Illustrated's Richard Deitsch

ESPN suspends Bill Simmons three weeks for remarks on Roger Goodell | FOX Sports
Simmons should have been fired or forced to resign.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL Monday Night Football brings high ratings to ESPN and this fucktard goes on a rant.

Lemon Harang Pie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The suspension seems reasonable to me.

It's not like Bill Simmons actually knew that Rodger Goodell saw the video.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL Monday Night Football brings high ratings to ESPN and this fucktard goes on a rant.

It's still not a good look for ESPN. Simmons is a paid columnist that is allowed to speak freely. He's got one of the more liberal contracts at ESPN so he has free reign to do just about what he wants creatively. They can't have it both ways. They can't broadcast sports leagues, claim to give unbiased opinions and journalism, and then turn around and suspend people if they are critical of those leagues.

FWIW, he's only saying what 97% of America has said over the last two weeks. Hell, Olbermann said basically the same thing and he went unpunished. Simmons just dropped an F-bomb, which he's allowed to do on his own podcast due to his contract. Plus, ESPN is making it worse with his suspension. Now even more people are aware of it. Not a smart way to handle it. If they're mad, they should do something more internal and less visable

Last edited by a moderator: