• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is anyone as sick of Bill Simmons as me?

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ESPN is a joke and has been for a very very long time.

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"So, are you comfortable showering with the gay guy?" - ESPN

Y

Yapp14

I can't stand Simmons. I do like some of the things on grantland (Bill Barnwell mostly), but I don't gamble, I don't really like the NBA, and I don't care about Boston sports. Frankly Simmons could disappear completely and I wouldn't miss him a bit.
I can't stand him either. Besides his whiny nasally voice that makes him sound like a spoiled rich kid, he has created a niche career by partnering sports with pop culture. He has been suspended several times in the past and I think he does it on purpose.

Goodell screwed up, but we all know the NFL and ESPN are in bed together. (Ex. ESPN canceling its tv series Playmakers because the NFL didn't like it).

Simmons could have criticized Goodell without the expletives and even daring ESPN to suspend him. All part of his schtick.

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Simmons, your vacation days are almost up. You need to take them or lose them."

"How about this? I go on some profanity-laced tirade and stir up a bunch of controversy and you pretend to suspend me for it and I then take my vacation under the ruse of a suspension and people start talking all about ESPN and imagine the attention we will get from it."

"Great idea! Let's do it."

I, for one, would not put it past ESPN to pull some WWE shit like that.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The pompous ass needed to be suspended. He should just stick to writing, which he is brilliant at.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, because this statement here:

"Let's make sure we don't do anything to provoke wrong action ... we got to also make sure that you can do your part to do whatever you can do to make, to try to make sure it doesn't happen again."

means, that if you make an abuser mad, then you are asking to get hit if you know they have that inclination. Which is pure bullshit. It's why he was backtracking as fast as possible on his twitter account, and later deleted the statements on twitter following up his ignorant statement.

I understand exactly what he was trying to say, but it is 100% completely and utterly wrong. To spread a message that the person being abused not "provoke" the abuser is not accurate, correct, or tolerable. Period. To think what he said was "accurate" means that you stand by a person abusing another person if they so provoke them, which is sickening.

No, it means don't punch or slap someone in the face & not expect to be punched or slapped back. That's what he was trying to say.

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what happens if this "investigation" proves that Goodell was lying?

YourFriendGannon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Simmons, your vacation days are almost up. You need to take them or lose them."

"How about this? I go on some profanity-laced tirade and stir up a bunch of controversy and you pretend to suspend me for it and I then take my vacation under the ruse of a suspension and people start talking all about ESPN and imagine the attention we will get from it."

"Great idea! Let's do it."

I, for one, would not put it past ESPN to pull some WWE shit like that.

I wouldn't put it past ESPN to do that either. I don't think they are ok with him making Goodell the epicenter of said controversy however. If he went on some crazy rant against Baltimore's owner it would be a more plausible theory imo.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Listening to some commentary today I have changed my views on this.

Where Bill Simmons screwed up is that he made an overt accusation. He said that Goodell lied. In the world of journalism that sort of stuff means you have proof.

Had he said "I believe that Goodell lied" he would have been fine. Several other ESPN talking heads said as such.

Lakers+USC=#1

Fuck CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, it means don't punch or slap someone in the face & not expect to be punched or slapped back. That's what he was trying to say.

Exactly!!! People is trying to twist his words, like he is giving the abuser an excuse. Don't provoke the lion, because you know what can happen. Nothing S.A. said was wrong.

Lakers+USC=#1

Fuck CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, because this statement here:

"Let's make sure we don't do anything to provoke wrong action ... we got to also make sure that you can do your part to do whatever you can do to make, to try to make sure it doesn't happen again."

means, that if you make an abuser mad, then you are asking to get hit if you know they have that inclination. Which is pure bullshit. It's why he was backtracking as fast as possible on his twitter account, and later deleted the statements on twitter following up his ignorant statement.

I understand exactly what he was trying to say, but it is 100% completely and utterly wrong. To spread a message that the person being abused not "provoke" the abuser is not accurate, correct, or tolerable. Period. To think what he said was "accurate" means that you stand by a person abusing another person if they so provoke them, which is sickening.

If a woman is hitting on her man, you don't think thats provoking? Your problem is, you think he is excusing the abuser because he was provoked but that not what he was saying. He gave Ray his blame and said no man should hit a woman but wonen need to stop testing these men, which is true. My ex girlfriend used to hit me all the time and tell me if i hit her back, its going to be problems. She was provoking me, but i still would have been wrong if i hit her back.

He deleted his tweets because of ESPN, duh! He also didn't really backtrack. He just said he should've worded it better for the people tgat didn't understand. People like you and Beadle. Others understood exactly what he said. He still stand by his point.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keep spinning.

It's exactly what he said. He is wrong, and so are you.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what happens if this "investigation" proves that Goodell was lying?

It doesn't really matter. Simmons made an accusation without proof. Even if it is true, he made a mistake from a journalist perspective.

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't stand Simmons. I do like some of the things on grantland (Bill Barnwell mostly), but I don't gamble, I don't really like the NBA, and I don't care about Boston sports. Frankly Simmons could disappear completely and I wouldn't miss him a bit.

He's definitely earned his fame as a fan/writer of Boston Sports. So, yeah, I think he's hilarious.

Leroy Brown

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And tell me what exactly was he wrong about?

Look, regardless of what he said about Goodell...the fact that he goaded his employer with:

“I really hope somebody calls me or emails me and says I’m in trouble for anything I say about Roger Goodell, because if one person says that to me, I’m going public,’’ Simmons said. “You leave me alone. The commissioner’s a liar and I get to talk about that on my podcast.

“Please. Call me and say I’m in trouble. I dare you.”

:doh:

That's all it takes, right there! I wish I would take my ass into work and say that to my boss. He basically did this:

glove-slap-o.gif

It doesn't even matter what you said or did at the point...he could've said he took two ESPN pens and stationery home for personal use over his entire career there. If he finishes with daring them to do something about it, then, well, they gotta do something about it. :noidea:

Here's a good article on the subject right here.

Lakers+USC=#1

Fuck CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look, regardless of what he said about Goodell...the fact that he goaded his employer with:

“I really hope somebody calls me or emails me and says I’m in trouble for anything I say about Roger Goodell, because if one person says that to me, I’m going public,’’ Simmons said. “You leave me alone. The commissioner’s a liar and I get to talk about that on my podcast.

“Please. Call me and say I’m in trouble. I dare you.”

:doh:

That's all it takes, right there! I wish I would take my ass into work and say that to my boss. He basically did this:

glove-slap-o.gif

It doesn't even matter what you said or did at the point...he could've said he took two ESPN pens and stationery home for personal use over his entire career there. If he finishes with daring them to do something about it, then, well, they gotta do something about it. :noidea:

Here's a good article on the subject right here.

I was talking about S.A.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AIyr1tomHQ"]Mike & Mike - Mike Golic on Bill Simmons - YouTube[/ame]

Easily the most obnoxious ass in a long, long time. Now he's involved in a twitter meltdown to try to up his brand? :L

Last edited by a moderator: