• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is Alex Smith worth Franchise QB money?

Is Alex Smith worth Franchise QB money?

• Yes

Votes: 12 22.6%
  • No

Votes: 41 77.4%

• Total voters

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll say one thing for Alex Smith. I've never seen a QB as mediocre-to-bad as him get as much talk & attention as he has for some reason. And he's not even that interesting! He's apparently like the nicest guy in sports, and you never hear anything about the guy except what he does in pads. It's a weird phenomenon. Jeff Garcia never got this much attention & debate. :noidea:

He's not mediocre to bad but that's something we'll never agree on. Not that I'd agree, but I wouldn't have said anything if it were mediocre to average. His YPA was better in the second half of 2013 (something you've referenced as a sign of bad - his first half YPA). He was 8 YPA with us, good for fourth but that's explained away. He was better YPA in 2011 but that, too, is explained away. A low one in 2013 and wow, look! He had more longer attempts and completions, too.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW, the reason why I cited the second half was because that's when the system had its full playbook and when people were more familiar. That's the baseline on what one should expect next year (7.22). Maybe a little bit lower because they face Seattle and us. Plus, I never was using it to say he was good to great.

KwitYerWhinin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep me vs Sonny jr I would love to see Seattle vs Pats in SB. I like Wilson ( NC state and Whisky) and Beastmode ( loved that interview with Deion) and Pete was not only Pats coach for a year,but met him giving him directions
always good to have dreams. however misguided they might be

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Relax guys. We'll take it again and thanks for playing:clap::suds::whistle::whistle:

wiskyisgood12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is he? I don't think so. Will he get franchise qb money? Probably.

It's a quarterback driven game, and if you've got even an average one you pay him.

Mondio

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never though much of Smith, but he didn't exactly have a very fair start in the league either. I remember the playoff game with the Saints, thinking they wouldn't win because Smith was going to actually have to make plays to win, and then he did.

I wasn't sure what to make of it, was it a lucky game? or can he regularly do what the greats can? Then the next year he was replaced and went to KC and I never really watched him there.

I don't think he's a QB you can lean on every game like Brees, or Rodgers, or brady and manning. But he's a decent qb you can put other pieces in place to win a lot of games. BUT you can't pay him like those other 4 because then you don't have the money to put those pieces in place. He's good, not Elite and shouldn't be paid like one. But I thought the same about Flacco too and look what he got.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never though much of Smith, but he didn't exactly have a very fair start in the league either. I remember the playoff game with the Saints, thinking they wouldn't win because Smith was going to actually have to make plays to win, and then he did.

I wasn't sure what to make of it, was it a lucky game? or can he regularly do what the greats can? Then the next year he was replaced and went to KC and I never really watched him there.

I don't think he's a QB you can lean on every game like Brees, or Rodgers, or brady and manning. But he's a decent qb you can put other pieces in place to win a lot of games. BUT you can't pay him like those other 4 because then you don't have the money to put those pieces in place. He's good, not Elite and shouldn't be paid like one. But I thought the same about Flacco too and look what he got.

I think it's important to note that Franchise doesn't necessarily mean Elite. So when you say that he shouldn't be paid like those four, I don't think that's the question. I want him to get a good deal - not too much and not too short. I want a high guarantee but low total so that he has that help around him but they can't move on too easily. I also don't want so much that he gets blamed for taking too much.

Mondio

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
to me franchise is elite. being a qb of a franchise and being a qb that a franchise can build around are different to me. Those that happen to be the guy at QB for different franchises are just qb's to me

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
to me franchise is elite. being a qb of a franchise and being a qb that a franchise can build around are different to me. Those that happen to be the guy at QB for different franchises are just qb's to me

Ok, but I don't think that was the question. Franchise QBs who aren't elite are paid less than franchise QBs who are elite. Whether Smith was the former is the question. Most say no.

Oldschool739

It's my Country, Flag, Bible, Gun. Don't try it !
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He seems to think so and the Chiefs don't. Possibly one of the bigger stories of the offseason. Whats your take?

No but only because of his age, I think he is a very good QB, but SF took way too long to develop him. So he is gonna have to take a shorter contract at this point in his career, unless he wins the big dance this season.
Then the pot gets stirred again..