• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is Aaron Rodgers in decline or is a victim of the circumstances?

MizzouFalcon

Let’s Fuck Some Shit Up is my legal middle name
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they can get a coach in there that Rodgers will respect and play hard for, Rodgers still has a couple of good years left. I don't think he's done
That’s one of the problems. Can they find a good coach that Rodgers will actually work with? Choosing a coach based on your QB’s ego may not bode well for the franchise long term since Rodgers is on the back end of his career. He’s not done but he’s on the back 9 for sure.

CaptainStubing

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That’s one of the problems. Can they find a good coach that Rodgers will actually work with? Choosing a coach based on your QB’s ego may not bode well for the franchise long term since Rodgers is on the back end of his career. He’s not done but he’s on the back 9 for sure.

yep, he's only got a few years left so they may not even need to look at the next coach as a long-term placement ... just make sure Rodgers will play for him and then see what happens when he's gone.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That sack is on Rodgers. He holds onto it too long. His forte which made him famous,(extended plays) are not within the scheme and timing routes and the older he gets the more those extended plays hurt his team more than help.

Made for some exciting plays in his prime, but now it seems more of a disruption to the offense.

just my $0.02

I agree with you to an extent, but I've got a couple pennies to add...

Earlier in Rodgers career, he hit those short timing routes and let his receivers run with it after the catch. A lot of the factors previously cited are in play regarding the 'why not now?' but one thing not cited that is also a strong factor is his 'god' status. I think him constantly hearing 'you're the best' from everyone got to his head.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rodgers will go down as one of the all time greats. I think very few people will dispute that. But he's just not his usual excellent self this year and yesterday's game pretty much summed that up. As beardown07 just alluded, the old Rodgers would not have held onto the ball the way he did, and it was on more than one occasion yesterday. He also clearly missed a few open targets that he would have hit blindfolded in seasons past. To me the big question is if this year is just an anomaly and that he will return to his sharpshooter self next year or if his best years are indeed behind him. TBD.

Reactions: GNG

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
  • The offensive line is a mess.
    • Bulaga hurt again; Spriggs is an awful replacement.
    • Both guards are poor fillers.
    • Seems like at least one jailbreak to Rodgers every series.
    • TEs and RBs are all poor blockers.
  • WR corps is a mess.
    • Cobb hurt most of the year.
    • Allison hurt all year.
    • It's been Adams and late-round rookies all year.
      • None of the rookies can get separation in Man coverage or find the holes in zones.
      • None of the receivers - even Adams - comes back to the ball when Rodgers is in trouble.
    • Adams is the only receiver amongst all WE, TE, RB that Rodgers has any chemistry with.
  • Poor & predictable playcalling.
    • Defenses know what's going to happen before the play is even called.
    • Too many plays designed to get big chunks of yardage with no checkdowns.
    • Rodgers gets sacked or throws it away because the OL is a sieve and all of his receivers have their backs to him 10+ yards downfield.
  • Rodgers doesn't trust his playmakers.
    • Even when there is a checkdown available, Rodgers often holds the ball looking for a deep shot rather than just dump it off.
    • Rodgers checks out of plays or changes routes at the line to attempt to get a larger chunk of yardage through the air instead of getting the ball in a receiver's hands quickly and let him run for yardage.
    • Rodgers has given up on throwing the ball on scrambles quicker this year - he just tucks and runs himself.
    • One of Rodgers greatest indefensible plays/throws was the back-shoulder to Jordy on the sideline. No receiver has the talent, chemistry or communication with Rodgers this year to make that play work, so we haven't seen it all year.
    • A lot of these trust/chemistry issues are a result of Rodgers' limited practice throughout the season due to the knee injury.
  • Rodgers has been less accurate this year than years past.
    • The knee injury plays a part in that - physical limitations.
    • Poor chemistry plays a part in that - trust.
    • Poor OL plays a part in that - psychological; hearing footsteps from being under constant pressure.
    • Pressure - like a batter in baseball on a hitless streak who is squeezing the bat too hard or shortening his swing to make adjustments and nothing is working.
This Packers team needs a reset. Rodgers needs a reset.

Is Rodgers past his prime? Yeah, probably; so there must be some small percentage of decline to his game. But the vast majority of the problems we've seen this year out of him and this team can all be corrected in one offseason with a few good moves by the GM, some healing, strong preparation and some good fortune.

This pretty much sums up what is all wrong with the Packers I was just to lazy to type all of that. Those of us who have watched all the games have seen all of this. Those that only see the high lites have no clue about all the issues. As I watched the game yesterday I saw these names in the secondary I had not seen in any of the previous games. Injuries were bad this year again having to get several practice squad players and back ups in starting roles. If I took time to look at who was playing against the Bears in week one and who was starting in week 15 I am guessing 1/3 of the team would be different in week 15 because of injuries and there is not the best depth on the team.

It is a mix of everything on the team I would say 50% of it is Rodgers himself for various reasons mentioned above and the other 50% with team depth, limited experience, bad coaching and such.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rodgers will go down as one of the all time greats. I think very few people will dispute that. But he's just not his usual excellent self this year and yesterday's game pretty much summed that up. As beardown07 just alluded, the old Rodgers would not have held onto the ball the way he did, and it was on more than one occasion yesterday. He also clearly missed a few open targets that he would have hit blindfolded in seasons past. To me the big question is if this year is just an anomaly and that he will return to his sharpshooter self next year or if his best years are indeed behind him. TBD.

I think confidence plays a large part in any players performance on the field. I do not believe, Rodgers is very confident in his supporting cast, and it is effecting his play.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's near the bottom of the league in completion percentage, he's middle of the pack in TD's and he seems like he's missing a lot of throws that used to be gimmes. What's everyone think?
He is definitely having a sub par season.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have said this elsewhere... But I will say it again... I think the rule changes have hurt Rodgers... He was the best QB I ever saw at knowing when it is a free play an capitalizing on it... I wish there was a stat easily to find to show this... But once the rules limited the amount of Free plays, it took away Rodgers best attribute!!!

Another thing, Rodgers was always a great scrambler, and a great mobile QB... With age, those legs are not as mobile.. Havent really seen him scramble and move like he has in the past... and this part of his game, might not get back to where it was...

So, if the rules are against him, and his legs are against him, he might just be an ABOVE average QB, and no longer elite...

I am tired of people complaining about the talent around him... Davante Adams is a legit WR1, how many teams have legit WR1s??? and even less teams have more than one option... And until Jones got hurt, he was having a very solid season at RB...

So?? how is their skill positions THAT bad?? and shouldn't great QBs make WRs??

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rodgers was pretty good until everyone noticed he's queer. Now he's more worried about staying in the closet.

Brees#1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congrats to the Packeers on winning the NFC North next year... :L

Maybe you should see your schedule for next year. Going to Dallas, KC, LAC, and Seattle. I don't see a bounce back season there. GB at least has won in Dallas and beaten the chargers on the road.

Win TWINS!!!

Least Racist Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congrats to the Vikings winning the NFC North this year... :L

Maybe you should see your schedule for next year. Going to Dallas, KC, LAC, and Seattle. I don't see a bounce back season there. GB at least has won in Dallas and beaten the chargers on the road.

Fucking idiots... log off and and get a sense of humor...

:L

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone who says that Rodgers needs 4 more rings to pass Brady is one of those idiot sports fan that think rings are the end all be all of greatness. Rodgers is already the greatest qb I've ever seen play and I'm a Colts fan so I got to watch Peyton.

The soccer threads are thataway -------------------------------->

Win TWINS!!!

Least Racist Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another idiotic response from you.
giphy.gif