• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Irsay takes shot at Manning. Fox fires back

Morpheus

RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
John Fox fires back at Jim Irsay over Peyton Manning bashing

By Mike Klis The Denver Post Mike Klis

Broncos coach John Fox fired back at Indianapolis Colts owner Jim Irsay on Tuesday in defense of Peyton Manning.

Irsay earlier implied in an interview with USA Today that he wanted to move on from Manning’s “star wars” stats and start winning more Super Bowls.

Fox, on his weekly appearance on NFL Sirius radio on Tuesday with Jim Miller and Pat Kirwan, was asked about Irsay’s comments.

“I saw the comments. And to be honest with you, I thought it was a bit of a cheap shot,” Fox said. “To me, in my opinion, they were disappointing and inappropriate.

“Peyton would never say anything. He’s too classy to do that. They sounded a little ungrateful and unappreciative to me. For a guy who has set a standard, won a Super Bowl, won four MVP awards… be thankful of that one Super Bowl ring, because a lot of people don’t have one.”

Irsay, among other quotes, said in reference to Manning’s time with the Colts:

“(Tom) Brady never had consistent numbers, but he has three of these,” Irsay said. “Pittsburgh had two, the Giants had two, Baltimore had two and we had one. That leaves you frustrated.”

Here’s a link to Fox’s radio interview.

http://prod.video.broncos.clubs.nfl...eo_audio/2013/10-October//131015_foxradio.mp3

KwitYerWhinin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

By Mike Klis The Denver Post Mike Klis

Broncos coach John Fox fired back at Indianapolis Colts owner Jim Irsay on Tuesday in defense of Peyton Manning.

Irsay earlier implied in an interview with USA Today that he wanted to move on from Manning’s “star wars” stats and start winning more Super Bowls.

Fox, on his weekly appearance on NFL Sirius radio on Tuesday with Jim Miller and Pat Kirwan, was asked about Irsay’s comments.

“I saw the comments. And to be honest with you, I thought it was a bit of a cheap shot,” Fox said. “To me, in my opinion, they were disappointing and inappropriate.

“Peyton would never say anything. He’s too classy to do that. They sounded a little ungrateful and unappreciative to me. For a guy who has set a standard, won a Super Bowl, won four MVP awards… be thankful of that one Super Bowl ring, because a lot of people don’t have one.”

Irsay, among other quotes, said in reference to Manning’s time with the Colts:

“(Tom) Brady never had consistent numbers, but he has three of these,” Irsay said. “Pittsburgh had two, the Giants had two, Baltimore had two and we had one. That leaves you frustrated.”

Here’s a link to Fox’s radio interview.

http://prod.video.broncos.clubs.nfl...eo_audio/2013/10-October//131015_foxradio.mp3

Unsurprisingly chicken shit on Irsay's behalf. If ever there was an owner that is just a down right fool, it has to be that clown. It seems like the timing of all this is a little suspicious as well. I hope the Bronco's beat hell out of that team and Payton gives Irsay the bird rather than a handshake.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This should be an Onion article.

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, maybe if Irsay concentrated a little bit more on defense, he just may have more than one trophy. All the other "examples" he cites won because of tough defenses. Once the Patriots got away from that a bit, they didn't win any more. Steelers sure didn't win riding the back of Roethlisberger. You see his SB stats? Giants won with defense too, keeping Brady's high octane offense under 20 pts.

What a cocksucking thing to say, especially right before "honoring" that same QB before gametime this Sunday. I bet w/out Manning the Colts don't even sniff the Super Bowl, let alone win one.

At least Elway is trying to field a decent defense. May look rough right now, but I'm willing to bet it improves by playoff time.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This just proves what we already knew: Irsay is an idiot.

The fact that Fox spoke up about it indicates to me that Peyton is probably pissed, too. Real smart, Irsay, give Manning another reason to beat you on Sunday.

Broncosr0k

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with comments about this being a crappy thing to say and that the colts needed more defense to win more championships but his comments were not this week. Irsay said these things a couple months ago I believe. There was little hub-bub about it when it first leaked but there were a few articles.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with comments about this being a crappy thing to say and that the colts needed more defense to win more championships but his comments were not this week. Irsay said these things a couple months ago I believe. There was little hub-bub about it when it first leaked but there were a few articles.

Yeah, much is being made of this when really it is not much more than a footnote in the season. I did not hear the Fox interview but I understand he was asked directly about Irsay's comments and gave his honest opinion. I don't expect him or Manning to want to pummel the Colts any harder than they already plan to.

Still, the comments are out there, and it would be very satisfying for Manning and all of us Broncos fans to see the Broncos and Colts face off in the AFCCG. And the Broncos punch their Super Bowl ticket at the Colts expense. But I'm get g way ahead of myself. A road win this week will be satisfying enough for right now.

MrDoc420

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Without Peyton, there would be no Lucas Oil Stadium. This team would be playing in L.A. right now. I don't understand Jim saying this"

- Tony Dungy

Well said coach.

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, much is being made of this when really it is not much more than a footnote in the season. I did not hear the Fox interview but I understand he was asked directly about Irsay's comments and gave his honest opinion. I don't expect him or Manning to want to pummel the Colts any harder than they already plan to.

Still, the comments are out there, and it would be very satisfying for Manning and all of us Broncos fans to see the Broncos and Colts face off in the AFCCG. And the Broncos punch their Super Bowl ticket at the Colts expense. But I'm get g way ahead of myself. A road win this week will be satisfying enough for right now.

Doesn't matter to me. Broncos can punch their SB ticket against anyone in the AFC and it'll be just as satisfying:suds:

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anybody read Irsay's comments today about the whole ordeal? He tweeted that he was pretty much being taken out of context and that he was meaning that the organization should have done a better job of surrounding Peyton with talent instead of depending on him so much to win it for them. Said he can't believe anybody could not get that from what he said...Hmmm maybe you should go back and read your own words Irsay as you seem to be the only one that got that from your words.

BobGnarly

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UK_V8gzY42c]Fran Tarkenton on Jim Irsay's Peyton Manning Comments - YouTube[/ame]

Morpheus

RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anybody read Irsay's comments today about the whole ordeal? He tweeted that he was pretty much being taken out of context and that he was meaning that the organization should have done a better job of surrounding Peyton with talent instead of depending on him so much to win it for them. Said he can't believe anybody could not get that from what he said...Hmmm maybe you should go back and read your own words Irsay as you seem to be the only one that got that from your words.

He's backpedaling.

OMG! Jim Irsay is Masteragain! :laugh3::lol:

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently, Bill Polian responded as well:

Truthfully I don't know. I think he's got some misstatements of fact in
there. For one thing, I don't believe that Baltimore had two at the time that we
were fired, all of us, Peyton, me and the rest of the staff, (coach) Jim
Caldwell
at the end of the '11 season," Polian said.

"...I really don't know what to make of it to tell you the truth," Polian
continued. "I do know that he was very upset after the loss in the second Super
Bowl
and I think it's pretty telling that getting to the Super
Bowl
in his mind doesn't count. And for anyone who is in the game and
who has to make that journey from training camp to the Super
Bowl
, you know that it's awfully difficult to get there.

"And as John Fox said today, if you have one, you count
yourself lucky. I've had teams that have been to six Super
Bowl
s and won one. I'm not ashamed of that record by any means, and
I'm certainly not ashamed of what we did in Indianapolis."

But according to Irsay, everyone who criticizes his comments has a "negative agenda" :rollseyes:

mcro_rave_2001

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
nothing wrong with what Irsay said, he values rings over individual stats, what's bad about an owner saying that?

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
nothing wrong with what Irsay said, he values rings over individual stats, what's bad about an owner saying that?

Yeah, but the way he said it makes him sound like he's ungrateful for having the one Ring and is crying that he doesn't have more. Boo-Hoo. :bawling:

mcro_rave_2001

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, but the way he said it makes him sound like he's ungrateful for having the one Ring and is crying that he doesn't have more. Boo-Hoo. :bawling:

what owner doesn't want more than one ring?

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what owner doesn't want more than one ring?

Every good owner should. But that's not the point. You don't rip the guy who put the Colts on the map and got you a brand spanking new stadium.

Morpheus

RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No. He did not say he valued Rings more than stats. You are inferring that from what he said.

It should be a given that a Championship is more desirable than good statistics. Manning would be the first to acknowledge that I imagine.

What he said comes off as ungrateful and a left handed compliment. Irsay is inferring that Manning puts up great stats but could not do any better than one ring.

This is ridiculous as is the notion that Manning is a post season choke artist. Irsay is buying into the hater hype in the twitterverse.

Football is a team sport and one guy is not the end all be all of success or lack thereof. He can be the difference if you have the rest of the peices, but not the sole cause of success or failure.

Of Manning's 7 post season one and ones, 6 of them he left the field with a lead and the defense blew it.

The best part of what Irsay said is the Ravens getting 2 in the time Manning was there. Ravens only had 1 Champiionship. and that was early in Peytons career. It was 12 years before they won another.

Sounds like Irsay is a drunk like his dad was.

mcro_rave_2001

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. He did not say he valued Rings more than stats. You are inferring that from what he said.

It should be a given that a Championship is more desirable than good statistics. Manning would be the first to acknowledge that I imagine.

What he said comes off as ungrateful and a left handed compliment. Irsay is inferring that Manning puts up great stats but could not do any better than one ring.

This is ridiculous as is the notion that Manning is a post season choke artist. Irsay is buying into the hater hype in the twitterverse.

Football is a team sport and one guy is not the end all be all of success or lack thereof. He can be the difference if you have the rest of the peices, but not the sole cause of success or failure.

Of Manning's 7 post season one and ones, 6 of them he left the field with a lead and the defense blew it.

The best part of what Irsay said is the Ravens getting 2 in the time Manning was there. Ravens only had 1 Champiionship. and that was early in Peytons career. It was 12 years before they won another.

Sounds like Irsay is a drunk like his dad was.

look man i hate the Irsays, for what they did to me but there was nothing wrong with what he said...IMO, glad to see you're defending you current QB no matter what.