• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

International Draft

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How would you like the International Draft to work?

As it stands, the US Am Draft takes place in mid-June. The International market opens in early-July.

If the two drafts MUST be separate, I would guess that the Int Draft would be a sort of supplemental draft? Same order, but teams would be forfeiting their corresponding pick for the next year for each selection they make? For example, team A picks 5th in this year’s US draft, so they also pick 5th in the Int draft. But if they select a player in the 1st round, they forfeit their 1st round pick in NEXT year’s US draft.

If they don’t do something like this, than top-picking teams will get twice the value since they will get two top picks instead of just 1.

The NFL had (has?) a draft that worked this way. In the early 90s, the Cowboys took a QB in the first round of the supp draft that made pretty big news (he ended up being a bust, but he was supposed to be the “next big thing”).

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i guess as long as the order is the same i dont really care... but i really think this is one of the problems... if it is too confusing for loyal fans, how do you ever expect casual fans to care about teams futures??

catman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The way things look, some 700 players are needed to man the Dominican Summer League. The Venezuelan League has fewer players, but needs to be staffed as well. There are usually around 1000 players signed internationally annually, so this number won't really change. The draft will consist of some 600 players and the current system of side-deals and negotiating on behalf of 12-15 year old kids will end. The draft will allow players to be drafted once they reach their 16th birthday.
Also, of the players that fail PED tests, the vast majority are Latin. I think there is some correlation between the failed tests and the current system. It needs to be changed for the sake of the players involved.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How would you like the International Draft to work?

As it stands, the US Am Draft takes place in mid-June. The International market opens in early-July.

If the two drafts MUST be separate, I would guess that the Int Draft would be a sort of supplemental draft? Same order, but teams would be forfeiting their corresponding pick for the next year for each selection they make? For example, team A picks 5th in this year’s US draft, so they also pick 5th in the Int draft. But if they select a player in the 1st round, they forfeit their 1st round pick in NEXT year’s US draft.

If they don’t do something like this, than top-picking teams will get twice the value since they will get two top picks instead of just 1.

The NFL had (has?) a draft that worked this way. In the early 90s, the Cowboys took a QB in the first round of the supp draft that made pretty big news (he ended up being a bust, but he was supposed to be the “next big thing”).

I don’t think the draft order should be the same

No need for double dipping

Honestly, multiple combines in different countries for teams to see all the players, check medical info etc

This would be a good place to test the infamous draft wheel concept

And yes, make all picks tradeable

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t think the draft order should be the same

No need for double dipping

Honestly, multiple combines in different countries for teams to see all the players, check medical info etc

This would be a good place to test the infamous draft wheel concept

And yes, make all picks tradeable
If the orders will not be the same, how would the order for the Int draft be determined?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are talking about a 3-4 week difference between the two entities as it stands now. Do we REALLY need to keep them separate?

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are talking about a 3-4 week difference between the two entities as it stands now. Do we REALLY need to keep them separate?

I would make it one big draft

MLB seems to disagree

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I will mention here what I have been stumping for for the last few years…

Eliminate the draft all together and just allow a signing pool to each team based on their “draft order”. If team A wants to dump their entire pool into 1 player, so be it. Then they will only be able to spend minimums on the rest of their players to fill out teams.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I will mention here what I have been stumping for for the last few years…

Eliminate the draft all together and just allow a signing pool to each team based on their “draft order”. If team A wants to dump their entire pool into 1 player, so be it. Then they will only be able to spend minimums on the rest of their players to fill out teams.

I’ve been saying that for years as well, drafts are too valuable in tv money for teams to do that.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The draft wheel

It was created for nba so ignore nba specific parts
I read it once, but it seems a complete jumble. I do believe that “bad” teams should have a better chance at getting better picks. The point is to lift teams out of the cellar.

I would be totally cool with all non-playoff teams entered into a weighted lottery. So the worst team in the bigs would have (not to scale) 18 chances at the top pick, the second worst team would have 17 chances at the top pick, etc etc until the best non playoff team having a single ping pong ball’s chance at the top pick. Again, those odds are not what I actually propose, just place holders to demonstrate the concept. Maybe attack it from from another angle. Take the bottom 18 teams (non playoff teams) and subtract their win total from 100 (maybe chose a different number?) and that is how many “ping pong balls” they get. That way the weight is more “weighted”.

I am NOT a fan of this idea, but I will mention it in a brainstorm session…

Maybe add additional “ping pong balls” based on market size and/or consecutive years in the lottery.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’ve been saying that for years as well, drafts are too valuable in tv money for teams to do that.
For the NBA and NFL, yes. But is the MLB or NHL draft shows that big of a windfall for their leagues?

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the NBA and NFL, yes. But is the MLB or NHL draft shows that big of a windfall for their leagues?

baseball draft nobody cares about but its not entirely because it is less popular than the other sports, as that was not always true... its because who cares about a player that is going to spend the next couple seasons in the minors and is often never even seen in the majors...... every other sport the prospect goes directly to the professional team... and is often used from day 1...

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
baseball draft nobody cares about but its not entirely because it is less popular than the other sports, as that was not always true... its because who cares about a player that is going to spend the next couple seasons in the minors and is often never even seen in the majors...... every other sport the prospect goes directly to the professional team... and is often used from day 1...

Yup. It’s really this.

If mlb players went straight to the big leagues it would be just as popular

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That’s exactly my point

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read it once, but it seems a complete jumble. I do believe that “bad” teams should have a better chance at getting better picks. The point is to lift teams out of the cellar.

I would be totally cool with all non-playoff teams entered into a weighted lottery. So the worst team in the bigs would have (not to scale) 18 chances at the top pick, the second worst team would have 17 chances at the top pick, etc etc until the best non playoff team having a single ping pong ball’s chance at the top pick. Again, those odds are not what I actually propose, just place holders to demonstrate the concept. Maybe attack it from from another angle. Take the bottom 18 teams (non playoff teams) and subtract their win total from 100 (maybe chose a different number?) and that is how many “ping pong balls” they get. That way the weight is more “weighted”.

I am NOT a fan of this idea, but I will mention it in a brainstorm session…

Maybe add additional “ping pong balls” based on market size and/or consecutive years in the lottery.

They already do….in the rule 4 draft

No need to double dip that

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They already do….in the rule 4 draft

No need to double dip that
Oh…

you are proposing keeping the us draft as-is, but implementing the rotating draft order only to the Int draft…

OK. I still don’t like the idea of the “wheel”, but now I understand your point more.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ultimately, we are only talking about a one month difference in the two markets, so I don’t really understand why they need to be separate.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh…

you are proposing keeping the us draft as-is, but implementing the rotating draft order only to the Int draft…

OK. I still don’t like the idea of the “wheel”, but now I understand your point more.

Yeah I’m fine with one big draft

But if they’re not, no need to give bad teams twice to e incentive to tank