• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Interesting Tweet regarding UNC

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Complete hypothetical:

Let's say UNC is given sanctions simmer to those at USC. let's also assume that players are let out of their LOI (I guess this would be only 2011 redshirted recruits since the punishment will not be handed down until October at the earliest). Would you be interested in accepting any of these kids even if they may have thumbed their noses on the way there and gone with full knowledge?

amszete

STRIKE FIRST|STRIKE HARD.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a great question.

I would be open to looking into a few of them (guys similar to Renner). I feel pretty confident that we could weed out the right people with SB and crew. But those like similar to jackoffs like MW can go down with the ship for sure.

ACC_HOKIES

4 ACC Championships
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I'd only be open to guys that approach Tech immediately after their release. That to me would be the guys that know what they want, what the Virginia Tech program and university is about, and are prepared to come in and work. I don't think Tech should actively target and recruit other schools' refugees.

EvanGWatkins

757 Hokie
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
They made their choice, let them suffer with it. If they really bought into the crap that BD was selling, poor on them and poor on their parents. Unless a player really wanted release and was IN NO WAY looking for any type of benefit playing for VT (a la Cam Newton being shopped around) then maybe, but for the most part let them go down with the ship.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A great quote from that Mandel article:

"North Carolina brought in the former Miami savior and Cleveland Browns head coach to elevate the Tar Heels into a national contender. True to form, he (with help from Blake) reeled in and developed a bevy of NFL-caliber players unlike any the program had seen, which then completely backfired. Four years later, he's got one Music City Bowl win and nine alleged major violations to his name."

vtpoop

Same poop, different day
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it is pretty hilarious that Butch is not listed in the NOA, yet the tutor that he employed personally, even after she was let go by the university, had enough spare cash to pay for a plane ticket and $1,700 of parking tickets for football players. What kind of tutor has that kind of money to just toss around, and not even for her own benefit at that?
If you read the NOA, the NCAA wants answers to very specific questions as to how UNC monitored itself within its compliance department. In my opinion, this is a trap that UNC can't win. Either they didn't monitor at all, or they monitored and did everything to sweep crap under the rug because they were in on it.
I mean, even after the NCAA was on campus investigating, you still have the tutor providing illegal benefits to players, Coples taking a crap on the so-called sign-out sheet and doing the very same thing that started this whole fiasco, etc. If the NCAA fails to tie or hold Butch responsible for this mess, what is to stop or deter any program from blatantly cheating in the future?
I mean if they are only going to lose a handful of scholarships and have to vacate some wins, then my opinion is everybody should start cheating it up. It would be stupid not to if the irrelevant programs like UNC can get away with it.

vtpoop

Same poop, different day
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One other thing, there was a bit in the NOA about a player informing the staff of impermissible benefits coming from former player and current agent runner Chris Hawkins. After receiving said info, UNC FAILED to follow up on the info. Hawkins was still allowed to work out in the weight room and participated in one-on-one drills with current players.

How is that not Lack of Institutional Control?

vtpoop

Same poop, different day
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another line by Mandel.

"Clearly, Davis' work is not done. His program has yet to achieve the level of notoriety needed to truly anger people with its indiscretions."

And Dan Patrick on the radio this morning said if you're going to cheat, win a championship, or at least 10 or 11 games. UNC wasn't good enough for probation.

LMAO

ACC_HOKIES

4 ACC Championships
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I don't think it matters too much that Butch Davis wasn't specifically cited in the allegations. The program is still responsible. John Blake, for example, performed his actions while employeed at North Carolina. He was an official representative of the UNC program, involved with other official representatives (the players) in his transgressions. The North Carolina program shouldn't find any joy in Butch Davis's absence in the report. In fact, it should raise a red flag internally.

It does help Davis individually though. I think he may have a better case for a buyout from UNC, if needed, without being personally cited. He would also have a better chance of hire elsewhere without being cited.

In almost every instance with this much heat, the coach is released. It's the right thing to do from a purely academic institution stance.

jermadams

HOKIES!!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
whos is david wright? i must be out of the loop...please explain

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
whos is david wright? i must be out of the loop...please explain

He is the legendary "dafunk" from the ESPN board. he hated 757 and I for calling him out about how awful UNC was and how bad they were going to get raped by the NCAA. If you have an hour or two to kill, go to the ACC ESPN board and look through some of the older, uber-long threads. It is pretty funny to look back on. If I have time, I will post some.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Here are a couple:

ESPN.com - NCAA - Atlantic Coast Conference Message Board

Of course, all of my posts are deleted from the threads by our good UNC friend. However, a good portion has been quoted, so it is still kind of funny.

man thats a lot of material!Hell there is like 5-6 pages of deleted post, IMO these need to be bumped over @ Dispn.

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Thought you guys might be interested in this article posted by my buddies at Statefansnation. Here's a quote:

"While true that Davis’ name only appears once in the NOA, there are several spots where it may have been redacted, along with at least 2 others where he may be implicated once UNC files its response."

http://www.statefansnation.com/inde...rs-take-on-the-noa-and-subsequent-discussion/

By the way, Statefansnation is another very good website...they've been all over the UNC fiasco. Good guys!

ACC_HOKIES

4 ACC Championships
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Through all of this I keep picturing dafunk as the black knight from Monty Python.

"Tis but a scratch"

vtpoop

Same poop, different day
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to the posters on packpride, one of the numbers that shows up on Blake's cell phone log is a business in Chapel Hill called University Massage. They say the place has been rumored as a house of prostitution for 30 years there (they even linked a couple of newspaper articles about it). Anyway, their posters claim Blake used this for "recruiting services." Should be interesting to see if the media picks up on this and this turns into UNC's version of Ohio State's tattoo parlor.