• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Interesting Tweet regarding UNC

MattB4VT

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
as i said before, the NCAA minimum to be eligible is a cumulative 1.8, at the end of any semester. at Virginia Tech, though, our athletic department has the minimum to be eligible set a 2.0. assuming UNC doesnt have a minimum (which you would think they would), it takes a 1.8 to be eligible. if he was below that at any point, he should have been declared ineligible. the fact that there is documentation saying he was too low, and UNC didnt do anything about it definitely does not bode well for them. many games in football and titles in basketball could/will be in major jeopardy.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'm not sure i'm sold on the julius peppers transcript thing.. it could be his, but "the birth date was just moved back a month" and "he got a D in a particular class around the time peppers, who also got a D, would've taken the class".. doesn't prove it to me.. the rest seems pretty damning for UNC, but i'm not sold on the julius peppers portion

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'm not sure i'm sold on the julius peppers transcript thing.. it could be his, but "the birth date was just moved back a month" and "he got a D in a particular class around the time peppers, who also got a D, would've taken the class".. doesn't prove it to me.. the rest seems pretty damning for UNC, but i'm not sold on the julius peppers portion

He came out and said it was his.

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ballboy534

Resident Rehabilitator
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Having to maintain a 1.8 to remain eligible is just pathetic... playing a sport (especially on a full ride) does take an exorbitant amount of time, but I'd argue that any college student with hopes of getting into professional school or going into a PhD track has just as many extracurricular activities to manage as an athlete does.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He came out and said it was his.

Peppers: Transcript posted on UNC's site his - NCAA Football - CBSSports.com News, Scores, Stats, Schedule and BCS Rankings

"Former North Carolina football star Julius Peppers confirmed it was his academic transcript that was posted on the university's website and insists there was "no academic fraud" with it."

Notice how the article mentions John Bunting, but makes no mention of current Longhorns coach Mack Brown.

i did not see this.

thanks haha

MattB4VT

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lets be honest, a lot of these guys arent the best students. for many reasons. when you look at the GPAs by team, the difference is crazy between for example swimming and basketball. like the entire team gpa for basketball is like 2.20. whereas swimming is always the highest, or close to it, depending on semester (in the 3.0-3.35 range)

MattB4VT

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and also, being a student-athlete certainly has its perks, but it makes school ten times harder than it would be otherwise. take like 30 hours out of your week, and fill them with intense physical training, and then try and study the proper amount... hard as hell. i averaged like 3.5 hours of sleep a day in college.
here is a fairly accurate equation.... Sleep + Sports = bad grades. Academics + Sports = No sleep. Academics + Sleep = Suck at Sports

for those that dont know, i swam for VT

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
and also, being a student-athlete certainly has its perks, but it makes school ten times harder than it would be otherwise. take like 30 hours out of your week, and fill them with intense physical training, and then try and study the proper amount... hard as hell. i averaged like 3.5 hours of sleep a day in college.
here is a fairly accurate equation.... Sleep + Sports = bad grades. Academics + Sports = No sleep. Academics + Sleep = Suck at Sports

for those that dont know, i swam for VT

To be able to get a quality college education with a full or partial ride by training/playing the sport that you love ... considering that many kids have to work 30+ hours a week while going to school full-time ... I worked full-time (40-50 hrs/week), was a parent, and took 9-15 credits a semester ... sorry ... but I have very little sympathy for student-athletes ... you're right Matt -- it's difficult but worth it

... but let's be realistic .. Most student-athletes are getting hotel management degrees. My 9-yr old son is smart enough RIGHT NOW to pass half of the classes in that curriculum. It is what it is .. but if I were a UNC alumn, I would be ashamed, considering its academic reputation. You expect that kind of shit from #GodsConference schools, but not from a top 25 school.

MattB4VT

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. Difficult but worth it. But most student athletes get legit degrees. You're wrong there. Business, engineering, and even architecture are commonplace among the country club sports, if you will. Not as common among football and basketball, but still normal to see. And the main thing I will point out is that being successful in your sport is a lot more important to the individual, as well as the school than how well you perform at your job to get you through college.

MattB4VT

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There isn't a hotel management degree program at VT either. There is the apparel, resource, and housing management program that many athletes major in. It is basically "business light" not requiring as many higher level courses. There is also the hospitality and tourism management program within Pamplin College of Business that is basically business management. Curriculums are virtually identical.

With all do respect to your child, I don't think your 9 year old could graduate in either. Especially not Pamplin.

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Apparel...hahah...you're right though...I'll retract and say that the cheesy degree club is composed mainly of football and men's bball players

MattB4VT

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they went ahead and changed the name of that apparel housing and resource management degree to something else, it would sound more legit. But im interested to see if ur son really could get a vt degree at his age haha

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
hahaha ... it was obviously a figure of speech ... he is an honor roll student but probably not THAT smart .. yet ... hopefully one day he will be getting a degree from VT :)

MattB4VT

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I hope he does! It's a magical place. Nowhere better on earth to go

robV703

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:bump:

Butch has to release his cell phone records, but UNC will be able to redact "personal calls." They claim nothing will come of this, but we'll see.

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:bump:

Butch has to release his cell phone records, but UNC will be able to redact "personal calls." They claim nothing will come of this, but we'll see.

what will keep them from redacting whatever they feel like? As far as I can tell, nothing. Though I'm not clear on what people are hoping to find here.

robV703

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what will keep them from redacting whatever they feel like? As far as I can tell, nothing. Though I'm not clear on what people are hoping to find here.

That wasn't clear to me either.