• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Interesting Alex Smith quote

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Catching up with Smith Monday on the SiriusXM Blitz, the quarterback didn't name Singletary. But his take on the mentality for the second half spoke volumes about the difference between Harbaugh and Singletary. Smith told us, "It starts from the top down. Nobody was freaking out at the half. There were no crazy emotions. There was no SportsHoopla. The focus was on the details. It was about stringing plays together and starting from there. There was no crazy speech. It was just football."

full article is pretty good too here

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/jim-harbaugh-alex-smith-san-francisco-niners-back-on-track-100411

h-hour

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Catching up with Smith Monday on the SiriusXM Blitz, the quarterback didn't name Singletary. But his take on the mentality for the second half spoke volumes about the difference between Harbaugh and Singletary. Smith told us, "It starts from the top down. Nobody was freaking out at the half. There were no crazy emotions. There was no SportsHoopla. The focus was on the details. It was about stringing plays together and starting from there. There was no crazy speech. It was just football."

Harbaugh has Smith, Niners back on track - NFL News | FOX Sports on MSN

Hell, Im just glad no one pulled their pants down!

Geraint

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't do it. I want winners. I want people that want to win.

Singletary.jpg

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Say it ain't so! :Cry:

49ermann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #3
Good read...thanks!

Do you think that Singltary is looking at the niners from afar?

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Good read...thanks!

Do you think that Singltary is looking at the niners from afar?

Absolutely!

All former HC's, (and all others responsible for the performance of some division, department, etc), glance back; it is human nature. They seek confirmation that what was broken wasn't them, or by contrast, what was working, was them.

- Sorry Mike, you and your OC were definitely what was wrong.

coffeeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Absolutely!

All former HC's, (and all others responsible for the performance of some division, department, etc), glance back; it is human nature. They seek confirmation that what was broken wasn't them, or by contrast, what was working, was them.

I agree. They are both watching and no doubt very interested in the Q.B. position as well.

What I find amusing is that both of their teams right now are win less.

Mozart'sGhost

"Floating In My Tin Can, High Above The World...."
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

If you are a 49ers fan and you don't feel good after reading that article then something is wrong with you.

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
This is a quote from Patrick Willis on the whole theme of this thread here:

LB Patrick Willis, the team's defensive captain, encapsulated what many of his teammates are feeling when he said: "I feel so much more alive than I have in the past from a physical aspect and from a mental standpoint. I just feel phenomenal. A lot of it has to do with the attitude we have as a team, that the head coach brings to the team and our position coaches. I think from head-to-toe we have something special here."

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
49ers' Smith makes better decisions under duress - Sacramento Sports - Kings, 49ers, Raiders, High School Sports | Sacramento Bee

When Alex Smith saw an Eagles cornerback and safety blitzing from his right side in the third quarter Sunday, he knew exactly what to do.

He dropped back three steps and fired a dart to wide receiver Joshua Morgan, who sprinted untouched into the end zone for a 30-yard touchdown. The score was San Francisco's first big step in erasing a 20-point Eagles lead.

Last year, that play wouldn't have been nearly as automatic.

When a defense blitzed, 49ers receivers were required to break off their original routes. Smith had to interpret what the receiver was thinking. The receivers had to guess what the quarterback was thinking. And all that mind reading led to mistakes.

"Last year he had so much going on, so much that they put on Alex's mind when it came to the blitz," Morgan said. " ***8230; They had too many people trying to read the blitz. Sometimes they'd get it wrong. Sometimes they'd get it right. When you've got other people trying to do the quarterback's job, then you've got miscommunication."

This year, the 49ers' response to blitzes is simpler and reflective of a head coach, Jim Harbaugh, who used to be an NFL quarterback. The receivers continue to run their original route and leave it up to the quarterback to decide where to throw it.

And so far, Smith's decisions have been sound.

southbaysportsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
This makes a lot of sense. I think some coaches at times in every sport make things too confusing. At times, you need to simply let the players play. Its funny to think that harbaugh has installed a "more simple" offense than the previous two defensive minded head coaches were trying to run.
KISS, keep it simple stupid!!!

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absolutely!

what OC?

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This makes a lot of sense. I think some coaches at times in every sport make things too confusing. At times, you need to simply let the players play. Its funny to think that harbaugh has installed a "more simple" offense than the previous two defensive minded head coaches were trying to run.
KISS, keep it simple stupid!!!

imo sing's biggest problem was he intimidated his players. maybe it was the stare, the yelling, dropping his pants, who knows. the whole team seemed uptight.

sing could learn from the experience and become a great coach. maybe smoke a bowl and get coordinators who are basically coaching material to do the X's and O's.

coffeeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
imo sing's biggest problem was he intimidated his players. maybe it was the stare, the yelling, dropping his pants, who knows. the whole team seemed uptight.

sing could learn from the experience and become a great coach. maybe smoke a bowl and get coordinators who are basically coaching material to do the X's and O's.

They were not intimidated at all. They were frustrated by the lack of direction and the lack of a game plan each and every week.
Singletary as a head coach again? Don't ever see it.

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeppp speaks volumes for our past staff. I always felt like we had a lot of talent on our roster, but reading the everything posted in this thread only highlights the importance of a competent coaching staff. No amount of talent can make up for coaches giving bad instructions, and leaving players unprepared.

Last edited by a moderator:

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
49ers' Smith makes better decisions under duress - Sacramento Sports - Kings, 49ers, Raiders, High School Sports | Sacramento Bee

When Alex Smith saw an Eagles cornerback and safety blitzing from his right side in the third quarter Sunday, he knew exactly what to do.

He dropped back three steps and fired a dart to wide receiver Joshua Morgan, who sprinted untouched into the end zone for a 30-yard touchdown. The score was San Francisco's first big step in erasing a 20-point Eagles lead.

Last year, that play wouldn't have been nearly as automatic.

When a defense blitzed, 49ers receivers were required to break off their original routes. Smith had to interpret what the receiver was thinking. The receivers had to guess what the quarterback was thinking. And all that mind reading led to mistakes.

"Last year he had so much going on, so much that they put on Alex's mind when it came to the blitz," Morgan said. " ***8230; They had too many people trying to read the blitz. Sometimes they'd get it wrong. Sometimes they'd get it right. When you've got other people trying to do the quarterback's job, then you've got miscommunication."

This year, the 49ers' response to blitzes is simpler and reflective of a head coach, Jim Harbaugh, who used to be an NFL quarterback. The receivers continue to run their original route and leave it up to the quarterback to decide where to throw it.

And so far, Smith's decisions have been sound.

That bit in bold is so f-ed up I don't even know what to make of it. The receivers were supposed to arbitrarily break off their routes? What is that?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
That bit in bold is so f-ed up I don't even know what to make of it. The receivers were supposed to arbitrarily break off their routes? What is that?

maybe not 'break off', but 'sight adjust'? agree 'break off' doesn't sound good, it implies they start to go random?

i recall June Jones used something like 'sight adjust'? for example, he said receivers would have to change the depth of their pattern depending on how DB's reacted? but they ran the pattern.

he said both Qb and receivers have a pre-snap read BUT, receivers adjust after the snap pending movement of safeties (mainly safeties). Colt Brennan used to read DB's (not linemen or LB's), and his receivers read safeties. guess this means where the double coverage is?

just trying to recall stuff from attending his luncheon speeches, don't quite me. :-)

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Q: Alex Smith seems to be taking advantage of blitzes well. Have you seen that?

MORGAN: Yeah, most definitely. That;s another big difference from last year. Last year we had so much going on, so much that they put on Alexs mind, that when it came to the blitz instead of this year. We dont have to cut our routes shorter or anything. We don;t have to do nothing. Weve just got to let Alex find the weak spot like he always does, and attack where the weak spot is.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't argue with results, but I hope that this isn't the final evolution of the offense. There are gonna be times when truly great teams can make reads on the fly and adjust to break a blitz. In the Dallas game at least one sack could have been avoided if the pattern was adjusted (the one where Alex was staring at VD but he had an out that took too long).