• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Injuries and the new rules

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How in the hell did Keller have time to get his leg up? He barely got his head turned, jeeez man what's next with you blaming a shooting victim for not dodging a bullet?

LOL...

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But the vast majority of hits at the knees that result in injuries are the fault of the player being hit

I think we need the shooting victim analogy again, because it didn't sink in the first time.

When I was younger I robbed a bank, but luckily for me, the police arrested the bank manager for having all that money in the safe...

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I absolutely played football, for almost 20 years. I had multiple knee injuries, and never once was any of them the result of anything but being engaged.

This injury, yes, it sucks. But you can't make a hit illegal for the 1 in a million time it can happen and be unavoidable on the offensive players part.

I call bullshit ...
Playing Madden doesnt count
You cant even JUST WATCH this game and be that clueless

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How in the hell did Keller have time to get his leg up? He barely got his head turned, jeeez man what's next with you blaming a shooting victim for not dodging a bullet?
LOL :heh:

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we need the shooting victim analogy again, because it didn't sink in the first time.

When I was younger I robbed a bank, but luckily for me, the police arrested the bank manager for having all that money in the safe...

Your analogy sucks. That's why I ignored it.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a big boy sport. You can get injured on literally any style of hit. You can just fall over and drop the ball taking a handoff. It happened yesterday. Low hits are not any more risky than tackling at the waist for the vast majority of hits. Most of the ones that are can be prevented with simple awareness by the player being hit. For the very rare exception, shit happens. This isn't fucking patty cake.

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a big boy sport. You can get injured on literally any style of hit. You can just fall over and drop the ball taking a handoff. It happened yesterday. Low hits are not any more risky than tackling at the waist for the vast majority of hits. Most of the ones that are can be prevented with simple awareness by the player being hit. For the very rare exception, shit happens. This isn't fucking patty cake.
ok .... its official. You lost your brain. :doh:

everyone start looking for it

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most low tackles aren't risky. That's a fact.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the new rules that have been instituted lately looks like there is a new injury trend unfolding. As a matter of fact There was a pretty uncomfortable debate that took place between Darren Sharper and old buddy with the S-Curl I forget his name right now....anyway. I believe there is a direct connection between the sudden clime in ACL injuries and the new Rules as of the last 3 or 4 yrs. Is this worth investigating and could or should it lead to rule reversals? I think it should. I don't know it's pick your poison be cripple due to multiple ACL injuries in ones 20 and 30 for life or Deal with potential (and lower risk IMO) Brain injuries. I think it should be up to the players to decide not the league. This is very controversial subject matter. :think:
Back to the original post for a moment - I haven't noticed a new injury trend over the last 3-4 years. Tendon and ligament tears have been increasing for the last 30 years. At least that's how I perceive it. Most of that is due to the increased size, strength, and speed of today's players. I remember 250 lb OL. If there has been a significant change over the last 10 years I would think that part of that is due to the increased importance of the passing game. More passes result in more clock stoppages, which means more plays per game. Additionally more hits will be on receivers who are making sharp changes in direction. RBs are more likely to be hit running forward. Being hit whilst changing direction increases the chance of injury. I don't have any numbers on injuries so these are just my thoughts rather than facts.

When it comes to making safety rules there's no way it should come down to the players to make the decision.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Back to the original post for a moment - I haven't noticed a new injury trend over the last 3-4 years. Tendon and ligament tears have been increasing for the last 30 years. At least that's how I perceive it. Most of that is due to the increased size, strength, and speed of today's players. I remember 250 lb OL. If there has been a significant change over the last 10 years I would think that part of that is due to the increased importance of the passing game. More passes result in more clock stoppages, which means more plays per game. Additionally more hits will be on receivers who are making sharp changes in direction. RBs are more likely to be hit running forward. Being hit whilst changing direction increases the chance of injury. I don't have any numbers on injuries so these are just my thoughts rather than facts.

When it comes to making safety rules there's no way it should come down to the players to make the decision.

Of course not. They'll still sue down the line for the fact that they made awful decisions about what is best for them, too. They would ban hitting low and legalize hits up high again, then be pissed off because they can walk but they don't know how.

If low hits were outlawed every single person on this website would be guaranteed to outlive the sport.

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course not. They'll still sue down the line for the fact that they made awful decisions about what is best for them, too. They would ban hitting low and legalize hits up high again, then be pissed off because they can walk but they don't know how.

If low hits were outlawed every single person on this website would be guaranteed to outlive the sport.

Didn't the sissy rule get your Wb into his first superbowl? The BRADY tuck rule

Every rule made in the last 5 years is designed to protect pretty boys .... Like YOUR QB.....

and you on a dallas board bitching?..... Too god damn funny

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Your analogy sucks. That's why I ignored it.

How does his analogy suck? By blaming the receiver for a leg injury is the same as blaming the victim in a crime. The girl was raped because she wore a low cut blouse. If man was shot inn a road rage incident because he honked his horn at the man who cut him off. The receiver leg was injured because his foot was planted in the grass. Had absolutely nothing to to with the 200lb safety torpedoing through him. There is no way anyone could be stupid enough to blame the WR for this type of injury. If you were talking about head injuries you'd be right in many of the cases, because WR's reaction is to usually duck when they see a hit coming. Especially if they are in the process of catching or have just caught the ball. I think the league need to allow and urge defenders to hit higher up on the torso when possible. If there is helmet to helmet contact throw the flag, but if the contact is caused because the receiver ducked as the defender arrived the flag should be against the offense. It doesn't necessarily have to be a personnel foul, because most of do realize it is the natural to duck to protect the body.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't the sissy rule get your Wb into his first superbowl? The BRADY tuck rule

Every rule made in the last 5 years is designed to protect pretty boys .... Like YOUR QB.....

and you on a dallas board bitching?..... Too god damn funny

Including the rule that you cannot touch Brady's leg if you are on the ground. If a defender ends up on the ground near Brady he must get up and reestablish himself as a pass rusher, count 3 Mississippi's then he can continue his pursuit of Brady.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree on players ducking into head to head contact, but there is time to react to a low hit. There is not to a bullet. Also, football is a contact sport; shooting someone is very rarely ok. Low hits are not even dirty. These are some of several reason his analogy is awful.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree on players ducking into head to head contact, but there is time to react to a low hit. There is not to a bullet. Also, football is a contact sport; shooting someone is very rarely ok. Low hits are not even dirty. These are some of several reason his analogy is awful.

NO THERE"S NOT..... If it was so easy for players to avoid a low hit every low tackle attempt would turn into touchdowns. As for the several reasons the analogy is awful, please enlighten us.

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

WTF you playing hop scotch?

Goddamn put some make up on if you want to be the clown .... The rules you bitch about are the rules that got your team to a Superbowl.......

open Ass insert your own head ..............

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NO THERE"S NOT..... If it was so easy for players to avoid a low hit every low tackle attempt would turn into touchdowns. As for the several reasons the analogy is awful, please enlighten us.

I gave you 3 right there. Avoiding an injury isn't the same as breaking a tackle and several more to get into the end zone.

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I gave you 3 right there. Avoiding an injury isn't the same as breaking a tackle and several more to get into the end zone.

Let me just hush you .... so we dont have to deal with you

Rules and all made to protect Brady .....

your best "perfect season"

You lose to a slightly 1 game over .500 team in the NFC East .... A perfect season for the Pats.... isnt on par with a 1 game over .500 team in the NFC East...

Choke on that slap nuts

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I take it no one has found his brain yet? :noidea: