• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Injuries and the new rules

snookdad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the new rules that have been instituted lately looks like there is a new injury trend unfolding. As a matter of fact There was a pretty uncomfortable debate that took place between Darren Sharper and old buddy with the S-Curl I forget his name right now....anyway. I believe there is a direct connection between the sudden clime in ACL injuries and the new Rules as of the last 3 or 4 yrs. Is this worth investigating and could or should it lead to rule reversals? I think it should. I don't know it's pick your poison be cripple due to multiple ACL injuries in ones 20 and 30 for life or Deal with potential (and lower risk IMO) Brain injuries. I think it should be up to the players to decide not the league. This is very controversial subject matter. :think:

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well I think they need to not be so anal on what a head hit is. Saw a hit the other day the safety put his shoulder into the WR on knocked him on his ASS. there helmets did touch but the hit was body to body, but since the helmets touch it is a flag. Think this being so anal about throwing a flag on a defender that gets a good hit, is why they are all going low. hell I have seen 100% clean hits get called illegal when high if it is a sweet hit. yeah we know you cant lead with your helmet & we know you cant go hit them in the head, but absolutely no way to tackle high without the head moving into the other players body. They may not have to change the rule, but lighten up on how the rule is interpreted. I've seen a silgle finger hit the QBs face mask when a player tried to block the pass & was called a penalty WTF! Oh nevermind that QB was Brady.

I think the leg injury brings up a good point though Snook. Curious what they do about that? (put flags on the waist) Torso tackles only? Then the NFL can have games with scores like 98-91 be like basketball.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the new rules that have been instituted lately looks like there is a new injury trend unfolding. As a matter of fact There was a pretty uncomfortable debate that took place between Darren Sharper and old buddy with the S-Curl I forget his name right now....anyway. I believe there is a direct connection between the sudden clime in ACL injuries and the new Rules as of the last 3 or 4 yrs. Is this worth investigating and could or should it lead to rule reversals? I think it should. I don't know it's pick your poison be cripple due to multiple ACL injuries in ones 20 and 30 for life or Deal with potential (and lower risk IMO) Brain injuries. I think it should be up to the players to decide not the league. This is very controversial subject matter. :think:

Colin Cowherd talked about this this morning. Simply out he said the NFL traded Knee injuries for Head injuries. If you look at it that way it makes sense. Beside weren't we taught to tackle by wrapping up from the waist down. If the can reteach that to these guys missed tackles will decrease.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Colin Cowherd talked about this this morning. Simply out he said the NFL traded Knee injuries for Head injuries. If you look at it that way it makes sense.

Difference is, no one is claiming knee injuries have diminished their quality of life 15 years after they played. But you let Victor Cruz, Julio Jones, Calvin Johnson and Dez Bryant all go down due to blown up knees in a single season cause by low hits... that rule will be changed real quick. WR's will be protected like QBs at some point. The NFL aint going to be happy until they lose a premier player to one of these legal low shots.

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
break out the flags.... gonna be flag football REAL SOON

Warpath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Difference is, no one is claiming knee injuries have diminished their quality of life 15 years after they played. But you let Victor Cruz, Julio Jones, Calvin Johnson and Dez Bryant all go down due to blown up knees in a single season cause by low hits... that rule will be changed real quick. WR's will be protected like QBs at some point. The NFL aint going to be happy until they lose a premier player to one of these legal low shots.

They kind of are already. There was a hit in tonight's game for example that wouldn't have been a penalty two years ago. DB goes in for a hit to break up the pass, WR comes down, lowers his head, gets blown up and a penalty is called. Two years ago, that would have just been a good football play and may have made highlight reels. Now it's 15 yards for the offense.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's true. If it wasn't for TO getting hurt the Roy Williams Horse Collar rule would not have been made. At least not then, it would have came about when the next superstar WR went down with a broken leg.
If the top echelon OLB/DE's start getting hurt from zone blocking schemes they will crack down on that too.

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For as much crap as Roy took for not being able to cover, he sure could hit. I remember a preseason game against the Titans in which Chris Brown ran over Roy to score a TD. The very next possession he horse collared Tyrone Calico on the sidelines and it blew both his knees out. I remember he broke that Redskin Ks nose too somehow.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't rewind it and watch it back, but why wasn't Jenkins fined for his hit on Dez?

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is why I've predicted in the next 30-50 years football will either be borderline extinct (like boxing) or be totally unrecognizeable compared to how it is today. I think football as a well rounded sport is pretty much at it's pinnacle right now. Soon it will be a purely finesse sport with next to no contact, basically flag football.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems they are dropping like flies thus far and I don't know what they expected with this limited contact. I certainly think they need to expand the rosters at this rate

Kevin12773

Boomer Sooner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems they are dropping like flies thus far and I don't know what they expected with this limited contact. I certainly think they need to expand the rosters at this rate
Only if Mara thinks its a good idea!

snookdad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Goddell is trending on being the most hated NFL commish ever. I can see him creating a hit zone that only includes from the thigh to the neck. Football may very well become un watchable if thats the case.

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Goddell is trending on being the most hated NFL commish ever. I can see him creating a hit zone that only includes from the thigh to the neck. Football may very well become un watchable if thats the case.
couldn't make it the neck. as soon as the head moves it would touch the players shoulder pads & be illegal hit to the head. you will have to make the strike zone even smaller than that!

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

basically whats wrong with the world today.
Political Correctness

yes....professional football too

real sad.....real sad

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry guys, but launching yourself at a players knees is and should always be illegal. If the body is available, then thats where you aim. Swearinger aimed for the lower leg. thats an injury shot period. You try to injure some one, you need to be flagged and fined period.

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry guys, but launching yourself at a players knees is and should always be illegal. If the body is available, then thats where you aim. Swearinger aimed for the lower leg. thats an injury shot period. You try to injure some one, you need to be flagged and fined period.
no different than blocking below the knees, & that is legal. Every RB does (attempts) it.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no different than blocking below the knees, & that is legal. Every RB does (attempts) it.

Big difference. Most RBs trying to cut block arent running at full tilt when they attempt this block. And in most cases they at best get 2-4 steps. Swearinger had a full head of steam and atleast five full strides to line up that tackle. He didnt have to go that low to make the tackle, he chose to go that low. It was a dirty play that ended some ones season just to prove how hard he could hit.

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big difference. Most RBs trying to cut block arent running at full tilt when they attempt this block. And in most cases they at best get 2-4 steps. Swearinger had a full head of steam and atleast five full strides to line up that tackle. He didnt have to go that low to make the tackle, he chose to go that low. It was a dirty play that ended some ones season just to prove how hard he could hit.
just so we are clear. I didn't like that form of tackle either. But it is a legal tackle. & the reason to go low instead of high was a good argument. If we say cant go below the knees, how crazy does that rule get when a stumbling player reaches out for a shoe string tackle or any other kinda scenario that doesn't have a torpedoing player involved. That would be considered a clean tackle. I think making that rule opens a pandoras box on tackling. Just like the rules they have to protect QBs. Seen a ton of penalties that were just ridiculous because the wording of a rule to protect a QB. Seeing more & more clean hits on players out in the field that should be clean hits but penalties thrown. (which is one of the arguments for players going lower)

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
just so we are clear. I didn't like that form of tackle either. But it is a legal tackle. & the reason to go low instead of high was a good argument. If we say cant go below the knees, how crazy does that rule get when a stumbling player reaches out for a shoe string tackle or any other kinda scenario that doesn't have a torpedoing player involved. That would be considered a clean tackle. I think making that rule opens a pandoras box on tackling. Just like the rules they have to protect QBs. Seen a ton of penalties that were just ridiculous because the wording of a rule to protect a QB. Seeing more & more clean hits on players out in the field that should be clean hits but penalties thrown. (which is one of the arguments for players going lower)

Agree that if its a clean tackle where you wrap a guys legs up, ir you make a shoe string tackle thats fine. But when you line it up and launch yourself low, if you connect how can you not expect to injure the guy you are tackling. I have always felt it was a dirty practice, and I have seen quite a few guys (Im talking pop warner, HIgh School and college level players) who never got to play again after taking an intentional shot like that. Its a legal play, but much like lowering your head into a defender, horse collars and launching at the QB... should be illegal.