• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Indian Wells Tourney CEO: Women Tennis Sucks

Liberal Icon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Hours before the final began, Moore unleashed some offensive and sexist comments, saying that in his "next life, when I come back, I want to be someone in the WTA because they ride on the coattails of the men."

"If I was a lady player, I'd go down every night on my knees and thank God that Roger Federer and Rafa Nadal were born because they have carried this sport. They really have." Read more from: Caple: Not even Moore could ruin special moment for Azarenka, Serena
Amazing.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Hours before the final began, Moore unleashed some offensive and sexist comments, saying that in his "next life, when I come back, I want to be someone in the WTA because they ride on the coattails of the men."

"If I was a lady player, I'd go down every night on my knees and thank God that Roger Federer and Rafa Nadal were born because they have carried this sport. They really have." Read more from: Caple: Not even Moore could ruin special moment for Azarenka, Serena
Amazing.

Hey, he is just calling a spade a spade.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't think it's 100%...but aren't all major sports men driven? Not PC, but not far off the mark. WTA had really strong in the 70s with strong rivalries American presence with Billie Jean and Evert, and the Williams sister provided intrigue, then dominance, no one has really stepped up to meet Serena enough to market a rivalry recently so I can see it tailing off.

A more accurate statement might be that Federer, et al saved men's tennis....imo Federer kept the fringe fan such as myself engaged after the run of American greats ended with Sampras and a bit of Aggassi.

There will be another American star in women's tennis again...and it will gain in popularity...this is cyclical.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
idiotic of him in every way.

misogynists will say he's getting himself into trouble by not being "PC" enough.

loved that djokovic jumped right on the bandwagon. after his countryman's (tipsarevic) moronic rant about women, it isn't much of a surprise. must be a serbian thing.

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sure. If you're an old ass South African dickhead who knows not WTF he's talkin about and yearns for the good ol' days. He was spot on.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not only was this just stupid to say given how derogatory it was, it isn't even accurate.

Womens Tennis is fun to watch and it is competitive. I would say Women's tennis has just as many "Super star" players as the Mens division.

Liberal Icon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I know you agree with him but if he is calling a spade a spade and not a tool for digging why is he apologizing?

In the first place, he is a sexist , racist South African idiot with apartheid complex who was just shooting off his mouth.
In the second place what he said is borne more out of ignorance than reality. Does he know that Serena Williams is a bigger star in the good ole USA than Federer or Nadal and the pitiful Djokovic who was not even mentioned as doing anything to help tennis?
In the third place, the clown has already resigned appropriately. End of story.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know you agree with him but if he is calling a spade a spade and not a tool for digging why is he apologizing?

In the first place, he is a sexist , racist South African idiot with apartheid complex who was just shooting off his mouth.
In the second place what he said is borne more out of ignorance than reality. Does he know that Serena Williams is a bigger star in the good ole USA than Federer or Nadal and the pitiful Djokovic who was not even mentioned as doing anything to help tennis?
In the third place, the clown has already resigned appropriately. End of story.

Tennis is nowhere near as popular in the US as it is in other countries. What he/they said may not be popular or polite, but it is very true to anyone who has ever picked up a racket. Any sport really. Men are superior athletes. That is not sexist, it is scientific fact. There would be no need for a separate women's division if that were not the case.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
atp players and wta players carrying the game is an ebb and flow over the past 40 years.

Liberal Icon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tennis is nowhere near as popular in the US as it is in other countries. What he/they said may not be popular or polite, but it is very true to anyone who has ever picked up a racket. Any sport really. Men are superior athletes. That is not sexist, it is scientific fact. There would be no need for a separate women's division if that were not the case.

Actually, I am very disappointed that this is coming from you, Old Lion. I was expecting it from Guns and Guitars. They are not talking about superiority between a man and woman regarding the sport of tennis. It is an entertainment! Otherwise, would he not have mentioned Djokovic who is superior to both Federer and Nadal and may probably surpass Federer as the GOAT? It is personality, rivalry coupled with the play of the players and other intangible aspects that draw both diehard fans and marginal ones to the game.

Anybody who is a student of the game or actually played knows what I am talking about. Even in the NBA where Tim Duncan and the Spurs were much superior and won many titles, the Lakers were more popular the way Golden states are now. In sports which reflects entertainment where for example, Anna Kournikova without any single title was more popular than the superior players. Tennis is an entertainment and the moron Raymond More should have known better. Why do you think they were begging Serena to come back to Indian Wells?

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
from the mid90s to the mid2000s, women's tennis was better than men's tennis.

tennis is one of the only sports, maybe the only one, where the women's game is just as good as the men's

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, I am very disappointed that this is coming from you, Old Lion. I was expecting it from Guns and Guitars. They are not talking about superiority between a man and woman regarding the sport of tennis. It is an entertainment! Otherwise, would he not have mentioned Djokovic who is superior to both Federer and Nadal and may probably surpass Federer as the GOAT? It is personality, rivalry coupled with the play of the players and other intangible aspects that draw both diehard fans and marginal ones to the game.

Anybody who is a student of the game or actually played knows what I am talking about. Even in the NBA where Tim Duncan and the Spurs were much superior and won many titles, the Lakers were more popular the way Golden states are now. In sports which reflects entertainment where for example, Anna Kournikova without any single title was more popular than the superior players. Tennis is an entertainment and the moron Raymond More should have known better. Why do you think they were begging Serena to come back to Indian Wells?

From an entertainment perspective I agree there have been times when the women's game rivaled the mens. This is not one of those times. Serena is the only decent womens player left and she only gets beat when she has an old lady day. The rest of the women are not good, not just by comparison but in reality as well. Vika is decent when she is in top shape (and finally may be back), but the rest are extremely inconsistent and some outright incapable of doing more than just rolling a ball back onto the court.

Tennis and Soccer are supposed to be games where women can be almost as good as men. Disappointed with tennis the last decade almost.

Liberal Icon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From an entertainment perspective I agree there have been times when the women's game rivaled the mens. This is not one of those times. Serena is the only decent womens player left and she only gets beat when she has an old lady day. The rest of the women are not good, not just by comparison but in reality as well. Vika is decent when she is in top shape (and finally may be back), but the rest are extremely inconsistent and some outright incapable of doing more than just rolling a ball back onto the court.

Tennis and Soccer are supposed to be games where women can be almost as good as men. Disappointed with tennis the last decade almost.

Okay, I will respond to this for the last time and I am done since the clown already resigned. Well did you hear what he said about why he believes the future will be bright with women tennis once Serena retires? He explains that the future starts like Eugenie Bouchard and Gabine Muguruza are who will carry women tennis to equal pay with women because of what they bring to the table. He was then asked to explain and he claims their physical beauty!
Well, there you have it. It is not their superior play but their physical beauty. There is a reason he did not mention Novak Djokovic among the players Nadal and Federer who are carrying the game even though he has been consistently the best player for the past 5-6 years and still the best. He has been the dominant player in every tournament he has entered as if it is no contest in the men's game. If you want to criticize the women's game as dominated by Serena, the men's game has been one-sided too.

Ryan Moore knew exactly what he was saying and it had nothing to do with the superiority of the men's game over the women's. Please do not justify the nonsense he was spewing.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay, I will respond to this for the last time and I am done since the clown already resigned. Well did you hear what he said about why he believes the future will be bright with women tennis once Serena retires? He explains that the future starts like Eugenie Bouchard and Gabine Muguruza are who will carry women tennis to equal pay with women because of what they bring to the table. He was then asked to explain and he claims their physical beauty!
Well, there you have it. It is not their superior play but their physical beauty. There is a reason he did not mention Novak Djokovic among the players Nadal and Federer who are carrying the game even though he has been consistently the best player for the past 5-6 years and still the best. He has been the dominant player in every tournament he has entered as if it is no contest in the men's game. If you want to criticize the women's game as dominated by Serena, the men's game has been one-sided too.

Ryan Moore knew exactly what he was saying and it had nothing to do with the superiority of the men's game over the women's. Please do not justify the nonsense he was spewing.

I am not justifying anything but the fact that the womens tennis games are inferior. Its like watching 2 boxers with losing records fight each other. The quality of play is just not there. And dont get me started on the shrieking, endless trainer visits and bathroom breaks. Its pathetic.

Womens tennis is a joke. Even Serena could not beat a male player in the top 200. And that's a conservative estimate. There are no players out there coming up that look even remotely decent. They are all wildly inconsistent.

As far as Mens tennis being 1 sided it has only been a few years of Nole's prime. You can see several talented players already moving up. Nole has a couple more years of dominance and then age will creep in just like it did with Roger (and Rafa who is a sloppy mess these days) before him.

ctc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The numbers don't lie. Men's tennis is watched by far more people than women's tennis. On TV and in person.

It is more popular. It is a better game.

That the women have managed to get equal prize money is good for them. But if I was a guy i'd have the same position of djockovic.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very limited understanding of tennis history in here. Men and women go back and forth with carrying the game as far as popularity and relative competitiveness goes.

For the entire beginning of Fed's dominant period in the early-mid 2000s, his only real competition was Hewitt and Roddick, and he was absurdly better than both. Fed was a gift to watch of course, but it was boring competitively. It wasn't until Rafa started actually being competitive off of clay at majors (2007/08) that we had anything resembling a rivalry on the ATP since the mid-late 90s. Andre and Pete were winning a lot in the late 90s, but the rest of the tour wasn't exactly strong. Hewitt was a placeholder #1 without any real competition for a couple of years. Women's tennis was much more compelling to watch from a competitive standpoint during that entire time period.

Don't get me wrong, what we had on the men's side from 07-14 was pretty historic as far as competitive tennis goes, but even now, the competitive level is dropping. Besides Nole, the only one of the "big 4" to win a major in the past 2 years is Rafa, and he only won 1. Fed hasn't won a major in almost 4 years now. It's still been better than the WTA, but unless some of the 18-19 year olds grow up real quick on the ATP, it's not a given that it will continue.

Liberal Icon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The numbers don't lie. Men's tennis is watched by far more people than women's tennis. On TV and in person.

It is more popular. It is a better game.

That the women have managed to get equal prize money is good for them. But if I was a guy i'd have the same position of djockovic.

Of course numbers don't lie and thank Gawd you are not a guy to look down on your own sex as a woman, ctc. I know facts are not part of your forte but let me clue you in on some few facts here:

"U.S. Open women’s final scores higher TV ratings than men's final"

Wednesday, September 11, 2013 /by Matt Cronin

"Sunday's U.S. Open final between Serena Williams and Victoria Azarenka drew the highest overnight ratings for a U.S. Open women's final in 11 years—a 4.9 rating—which was higher than the men’s final's ratings on Monday. Rafael Nadal's four-set win over Novak Djokovic, also broadcast on CBS, earned a 2.8 overnight rating, according to Sports Business Daily.

The women’s final was up 26 percent from the same match-up from 2012 (3.9) and was up 17 percent over 2011, when Sam Stosur upset Serena (4.2). The 4.9 rating is the highest for a women’s final at the U.S. Open since the Saturday night prime-time final between Venus and Serena in 2002, which earned a 7.2. The 4.9 rating was also the highest for any U.S. Open final since Roger Federer beat Andy Roddick in 2006 (5.1), according to Sports Media Watch. (See also here.) Read more from tennis.com - U.S. Open women’s final scores higher TV ratings than men's final

And Djokovic has no clue what he is talking about. In 2015 French open, Serena Williams/Lucie Safarova final earned 1.4 rating and 2.0 million viewers while Stan Wawrinka/ Novak Djokovic final earned 1.3 rating and 1.9 million.
You can also look at Wimbledon in 2015 here:
"Serena Lifts Wimbledon Women’s Final; Men’s Final Rematch Flat

By Paulsenon 07/14/2015 ESPN, Ratings, Tennis

ctc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Take an incident, declare a trend. :rolleyes2:

Typical liberal