• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

"Incident" at Boston Marathon

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy crap at some of the pictures in this album:

4chan ThinkTank - Imgur

(nothing graphic/post-explosions... just crowd pictures with stuff drawn on, "suspect looking" people circled, etc. courtesy of 4chan people, I think?)

there is some crazy in there but there are some interesting images to see.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up here"

/Best read in a Jack Nicholson voice :D

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

4chan ThinkTank - Imgur

(nothing graphic/post-explosions... just crowd pictures with stuff drawn on, "suspect looking" people circled, etc. courtesy of 4chan people, I think?)

Lord knows how I love amateur investigators. But I have to say, some of what is in there warrants additional looks.

Although the guy with the Punisher hat looks like security to me.

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

4chan ThinkTank - Imgur

Man I'm torn on this.

On the one hand: Thousands, or hundreds of thousands of eyes poring over these photos is probably going to turn up evidence or clues much faster. The more minds focused on something, the more likely someone is going to sport a connection or something important.

On the other hand: I would be royally fucking pissed if I was at this event, and found pictures of myself distributed around Reddit and 4chan as "suspected bomber guy" simply because there existed a photo of me with, and then without a backpack.

Vadered

Future Flyer Cup-Winner
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,135.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

4chan ThinkTank - Imgur

4chan has already done a lot of successful amateur sleuthing. Don't count them out because they aren't the authorities. They're surprisingly effective when they are motivated to focus on something.

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man I'm torn on this.

On the one hand: Thousands, or hundreds of thousands of eyes poring over these photos is probably going to turn up evidence or clues much faster. The more minds focused on something, the more likely someone is going to sport a connection or something important.

On the other hand: I would be royally fucking pissed if I was at this event, and found pictures of myself distributed around Reddit and 4chan as "suspected bomber guy" simply because there existed a photo of me with, and then without a backpack.

Didn't Richard Jewell get fucked like that? He was falsely accused in the Atlanta bombing but I don't recall all the details.

Edit: He was working as a security guard....see 43's comment.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man I'm torn on this.

4chan has already done a lot of successful amateur sleuthing. Don't count them out because they aren't the authorities. They're surprisingly effective when they are motivated to focus on something.

Where I have issue is not their methodology, it's that they throw it out into the public domain without thought to consequences.

If they got together, out of the public eye and did the sleuthing and then turned results over to authorities I would have zero issue with it.

I know some of the guys who do these investigations for the three letter agencies. And I sleep soundly knowing there's pretty much no way anything spied by 4Chan was missed by them.

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't Richard Jewell get fucked like that? He was falsely accused in the Atlanta bombing but I don't recall all the details.

Edit: He was working as a security guard....see 43's comment.

Yeah, I don't think the authorities ever actually charged him with anything, but you know how the media is... they pretty much charged him, tried him, convicted him, and sentence him before the FBI was done interrogating him. Poor fucker actually discovered the bomb and was responsible for alerting the authorities and initially evacuating the area.

I'm actually more worried about CNN and FOX trying a suspect than I am 4chan and Reddit.

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's the story on Jewell...

Jewell alerted police and helped to evacuate the area before the bomb exploded, saving many people from injury or death. Initially hailed by the media as a hero, Jewell was later considered a suspect. Jewell's case is considered an example of the damage that can be done by reporting based on unreliable or incomplete information.[2]

Despite never being officially charged, he underwent a "trial by media" with great toll on his personal and professional life. Eventually he was completely exonerated; Eric Robert Rudolph was later found to have been the bomber.[3][4] In 2006, Governor Sonny Perdue publicly thanked Jewell on behalf of the state of Georgia for saving the lives of those at the Olympics.[5]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Jewell

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I don't think the authorities ever actually charged him with anything, but you know how the media is... they pretty much charged him, tried him, convicted him, and sentence him before the FBI was done interrogating him. Poor fucker actually discovered the bomb and was responsible for alerting the authorities and initially evacuating the area.

I'm actually more worried about CNN and FOX trying a suspect than I am 4chan and Reddit

word

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's the story on Jewell...

Jewell alerted police and helped to evacuate the area before the bomb exploded, saving many people from injury or death. Initially hailed by the media as a hero, Jewell was later considered a suspect. Jewell's case is considered an example of the damage that can be done by reporting based on unreliable or incomplete information.[2]

Despite never being officially charged, he underwent a "trial by media" with great toll on his personal and professional life. Eventually he was completely exonerated; Eric Robert Rudolph was later found to have been the bomber.[3][4] In 2006, Governor Sonny Perdue publicly thanked Jewell on behalf of the state of Georgia for saving the lives of those at the Olympics.[5]

Richard Jewell - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The really sad thing is, 15 years later if you asked random people on the street who Richard Jewell was, they would probably either say "who?", or "wasn't that the guy that tried to bomb the Atlanta Olympics?".

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

jf4P2.jpg

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The really sad thing is, 15 years later if you asked random people on the street who Richard Jewell was, they would probably either say "who?", or "wasn't that the guy that tried to bomb the Atlanta Olympics?".

Exactly. That is what most people would say. Man that ruined that poor guy's life.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm actually more worried about CNN and FOX trying a suspect than I am 4chan and Reddit.

At least there's a chance that 4chan and reddit will be correct.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anonymous ‏@YourAnonNews 7m
BREAKING: Two possible suspects identified in #BostonBombing - officials.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
suspect photos/videos released

"You can't tell from the video whether these are Americans or not Americans" - things CNN says