• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

In, can we live without Baldy? news...

CarlWinslow

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Okay, so we send Jose Calderon and Ed Davis to Indiana in exchange for their combo guard AJ Price and their 1st rounder this year.

They get a true guard to go with Collision and Eddie D for a playoff push. (Not to mention Jose is White, which they'll love)

We work on developing Sprayless this year, then this spring we address a starting point guard and another SF (I'm actually warming to the idea that Sphinxter can become a really good starter in this league) and we try to win with our three big men (Poon, Jaudice, and Pharoh)

We need AJ Price for this year alone really. He's an expiring contract, but even if we want to renew his deal, he'd be a solid third PG for us behind mystery PG and Sprayless. The trade works without us getting anything in return other than the pick, but it makes better sense like this.

Also, if we mail Jose off, we're going to lose more, making our draft pick higher. And we get to address our two weakest spots (and really the only two spots we need to fill) in the coming draft.

Trade machine approved.

Brian, I know you read these boards to make your decisions, but please please listen to me just this once.

no effen way. don't even know who price is and no way we can trade our burger for a mid first rounder at best. Last season when ed davis got some calls(cause bargnani didnt get the rupaul whistle) he was lookin like a steal at 13 and even had the utah jazz raving about him to jack armstrong(note the jazz have racist roots that run deeper than the pacers).

getting rid of davis right now would be selling low(opposite of what you'd be trying to accomplish by moving balderon), wait for the league to start giving the teams blacks some calls if davis is moved

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
All right, I just returned from the boring netherrealm known as the RealGM Raps board. Holy eff are there a lot of squares there. They are talking DeMar/Jose for Gooden and SJax or trades that would completely trade away Barbosa and either DeMar or Burger along with Jose. Stupid...stupid. I want those 2 minutes of my life back

Marco Doubypops

Road Commentary Specalist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
no effen way. don't even know who price is and no way we can trade our burger for a mid first rounder at best. Last season when ed davis got some calls(cause bargnani didnt get the rupaul whistle) he was lookin like a steal at 13 and even had the utah jazz raving about him to jack armstrong(note the jazz have racist roots that run deeper than the pacers).

getting rid of davis right now would be selling low(opposite of what you'd be trying to accomplish by moving balderon), wait for the league to start giving the teams blacks some calls if davis is moved

But we're not going to win with 4 big men. We need to turn one of those into an asset that we can use and Eddie D looks like the odd man out here.

We're not really selling high on baldy, he's making 10 mill this year and no matter how many dimes he pisses he isn't worth that. So we're partially paying for that, also the only way we're going to dump him is to a contender, and Indiana is the only playoff team who has the need, cash, and assets for it.

Seeing burger go would be sad, but we don't need him, and we need to build now.

CarlWinslow

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
But we're not going to win with 4 big men. We need to turn one of those into an asset that we can use and Eddie D looks like the odd man out here.

We're not really selling high on baldy, he's making 10 mill this year and no matter how many dimes he pisses he isn't worth that. So we're partially paying for that, also the only way we're going to dump him is to a contender, and Indiana is the only playoff team who has the need, cash, and assets for it.

Seeing burger go would be sad, but we don't need him, and we need to build now.

we do so need burger, bargnani can't even play through a bruise and aaron gray could go into cardiac arrest at any moment. Plus we know he's capable of more, we saw it for 70 games last year and its not like he's regressing at 22 even though the corrupt refs would have you think it at the moment. Burger would absolutely shit on this team if they just dumped him for some corn n crust from the pacers asshole, specially on the pacers were they get calls minus granny danger who mouthed off to stern in the offseason via twatter

this is nonsense, BURGER 30-15 AND TEN BLOCKS LOOMS

just dump balderon. They almost did it to mj when balderon was comming off another disapointing season with more momey remaining, he fetch something if they traded him now after serious streams of dimes pissing out the hole

CarlWinslow

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
However, this does bring up a good point. Ariba is almost certain to be moved by trade deadline. Shit's about to get interesting. SECOND ROUNDERS FOR EVERYONE

yup, ariba is not in the plans going forward plus he can get injured at any moment. lock in that second rounder right away

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
we do so need burger, bargnani can't even play through a bruise and aaron gray could go into cardiac arrest at any moment. Plus we know he's capable of more, we saw it for 70 games last year and its not like he's regressing at 22 even though the corrupt refs would have you think it at the moment. Burger would absolutely shit on this team if they just dumped him for some corn n crust from the pacers asshole, specially on the pacers were they get calls minus granny danger who mouthed off to stern in the offseason via twatter

this is nonsense, BURGER 30-15 AND TEN BLOCKS LOOMS

just dump balderon. They almost did it to mj when balderon was comming off another disapointing season with more momey remaining, he fetch something if they traded him now after serious streams of dimes pissing out the hole

Winbro does bring up a good point. We would be insane to trade away a 22-year old sophomore who is nowhere near peaking, is not a headcase and locked in contract until at least 2014, in what would be a deal to dump Jose's contract onto another team. UNLESS we get a key piece in return, it would be a terrible deal by Colangelo at this point.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
yup, ariba is not in the plans going forward plus he can get injured at any moment. lock in that second rounder right away

It's obvious Colangelo has given Casey orders to showcase Ariba's talents. Didn't he have like almost 20 points in the past three games? He's also an expiring contract, so teams that are offensively challenged will be gunning for him hard. I'm starting to get pretty horned for trade deadline deals.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Here's what some dude at canada.com has to say:

It might be a little tough for the Raptors to find a trade partner that can not only take on Calderon and his contract, but give value back in return. There might be only be a few teams in the league that might be interested in him and give pieces that fits the team.

I’ve thrown out the Devin Harris-Jose Calderon idea last week and that might be the most realistic deal for the Raptors. Later that week, ESPN reported that the Jazz are shopping the former All-Star guard as he is not really fitting in on a team that plays inside out through Al Jefferson and Paul Millsap.

The two teams have played each other this week when the game went into overtime. Harris had his best game to date this season, which to no one’s surprise, came against Jose Calderon. Opposing point guards are scoring 0.96 points per possession against him.

Another potential destination for the Spaniard could be in Orlando, where the combination of Jameer Nelson and Chris Duhon are just not getting it done for the Magic. The team is loaded with guys that can score the basket but need a facilitator to get everyone involved.

Nelson for Calderon works under the trade rules and both have a year remaining on their contract, but that trade seems like a wash at this point. The Lakers and Knicks also need a point guard in the worst way but the pieces they would probably trade are not really attractive to the Raptors.

One has to wonder if it would be better off for the Raptors to just amnesty Calderon and use the extra cap space in the summer of 2012.

CarlWinslow

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
koufos_kosta.jpg

Marco Doubypops

Road Commentary Specalist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Also, I don't want Devin Harris because he's terrible and he plays like Sprayless. I don't want another Sprayless, I just want a young PG who distributes and takes care of the ball.

Can we trade Jose and his contract for a young defensively improved Jose who's not making over 10 million per year?

froman77

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, I don't want Devin Harris because he's terrible and he plays like Sprayless. I don't want another Sprayless, I just want a young PG who distributes and takes care of the ball.

Can we trade Jose and his contract for a young defensively improved Jose who's not making over 10 million per year?

why would any team do that?

i dont think jose has much value at all. is he even a top 20 pg in the league any more? top 30? why would teams pay for that. im just going to start listing starting point guards who r obviously better than jose

chris paul
derrick rose
deron williams
rajon rondo
russell westbrook
jason kidd
jameer nelson
kyrie irving
john wall
tony parker
stephen curry
kyle lowry
ty lawson
mike conley
chauncey billups
darren collison

thats 16 point guards there, and theres probably more. why would we get anything significant for the 17th (maybe) best PG in the league?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
why would any team do that?

i dont think jose has much value at all. is he even a top 20 pg in the league any more? top 30? why would teams pay for that. im just going to start listing starting point guards who r obviously better than jose

chris paul
derrick rose
deron williams
rajon rondo
russell westbrook
jason kidd
jameer nelson
kyrie irving
john wall
tony parker
stephen curry
kyle lowry
ty lawson
mike conley
chauncey billups
darren collison

thats 16 point guards there, and theres probably more. why would we get anything significant for the 17th (maybe) best PG in the league?

Well, let's be honest. Jose excels in two areas: dime pissing and assist/turnover ratio. That's about it. Four years ago, I would add scoring, but his shooting has declined considerably with age and his shot left with his legs. He'll still average 10 points, 10 assists for you. And no, Jose does not have that much value. Having said that, he would still be a better option for teams like the Knicks or the Lakers than anything they have going on right now.

I think we have to look at it like this: Jose adds experience, and you know what you're going to get from him. Teams, especially teams trying to make a run for the playoffs, need players like Jose. Think when Peja got signed by Dallas even though his contribution was minimal all throughout his short run there.

What I'm trying to say is, we're not looking to trade Jose in a game changing deal. We want to dump his salary and the great thing about this is that we don't have to dump Jose's salary. We're nowhere near cap problems, so keeping him one more year to run a team who will have even younger talent is not a bad idea. However, if there is a deal that can benefit us even more in the longer term, unloading Jose now in a tanking season is not a bad idea. It just depends on which team is desperate enough to want him and what they're willing to give us. I don't think we're in the desperate position here.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
NBA@2: Lakers Interested In Jose Calderon?
By Bill Ingram

The Los Angeles Lakers are foundering, sitting in a tie for the seventh seed in the Western Conference after beating the Minnesota Timberwolves on Sunday. On Saturday, HOOPSWORLD’s Alex Kennedy broke the story that the Lakers have had multiple discussions with Gilbert Arenas, who is still trying to get his knee right before making a decision, but don’t be surprised if the Lakers surface in connection to Toronto Raptors point guard Jose Calderon.

It’s widely known that the Raptors would like to trade Calderon, and they very nearly did before Charlotte backed out of a deal at the last minute at last year’s trade deadline. Now they’re very specifically looking for a starting small forward or a deal that gets them closer to one, and the Lakers could prove to be the team that helps the Raptors in that regard.

The Lakers got an $8.9 million trade exception from the Dallas Mavericks in exchange for Lamar Odom, and that’s something the Raptors would dearly love to have. You see, the Raptors have targeted Wilson Chandler as their top choice at the three, but he is still technically Denver’s player to lose. When Chandler returns from China he will be a restricted free agent, and sources close to the situation tell HOOPSWORLD that the Raptors plan to make it very hard for the Nuggets to keep Chandler in town.

What Toronto has to do is clear enough cap space to make Chandler an offer the Nuggets will think twice before matching, which is where the Lakers’ trade exception comes in.

The Lakers are looking for point guard help, and Calderon is not only an experienced floor leader, he has also spent time playing with Lakers power forward Pau Gasol on the Spanish national team. Adding Calderon would make sense for the Lakers on a couple of levels, and he would also help new head coach Mike Brown in his quest to transition away from the triangle offense.

The reason Arenas might make more sense is that he would be a very inexpensive addition, though he is also a notch below Calderon at this point in his career.

What’s not clear is how the Lakers would land Calderon, which is their end game. He has a 10% trade kicker that makes it impossible to trade him just straight up for the trade exception, and you can’t include other players in a deal involving a trade exception. They could send the exception to Toronto for Leandro Barbosa, but the Raptors would really prefer to hang onto Barbosa. Clearly another team would have to be involved or a subsequent deal would have to be reached for the key pieces being discussed to land in the appropriate spots.

Stay tuned!