• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I'm worried because I'm not worried

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone else have this feeling? I can't remember going into a season as confident and non-worried about the team as this one. They seem to have no 'holes' (they aren't perfect but no team is) with competent players or better at every field and pitching slot. And that's what worries me LOL.

I guess going into 2013 I sorta felt this way, we won it all in 2012 with a balanced team and a sweep in the WS so we figured to have a good 2013. 2011 was different, we kind of came out of nowhere in 2010 so while I was feeling good I wasn't totally comfortable. 2014 was sort of the same way, we hardly dominated our way to that title so there were clearly holes to fill in 2015.

So this year I'm very confident. Uh oh....

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, but at the same time, you need to look at the roster, spot-by-spot, and simply come to the conclusion that there ISNT anything to hand-wring about.

There are 3 SOLID starters, one guy who is good for a SOLID 5 innings and another guy who will either flame out horribly or be a #2-quality guy. If he flames out, we have 2 VERY solid options to step in for him, with more options possible to step up by seasons end.

The infield is all young and generally accepted to be one of the 2 best over-all infields in all the game. Every position is manned by a top-10 player.

The OF is a bit shaky, but only when nits are picked. We have a legit stud in right, an injury prone CFer and an open job in left. To fight for the job in left, we have two power-hitting kids who making Boch's job a nightmare, an aging leader moved over from CF and one of the best #4 OFers in the game. We also have a former top prospect who has come out of nowhere to let everyone know he wants in on the discussion as well.

The bully is in transition from previous seasons, but the farm has been preparing for this transition for 5+ seasons and it appears the team will actually have to let legit talent walk at the end of spring due to the lack of storage space.

I am in the same boat, fearing that we are over-confident in the team. But when you do an analysis, you really have every reason to be confident.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One can always find reasons to worry. Invite Nolan or Tito to the forum and they'll give you plenty of reasons. Maybe you should worry that I even mentioned either former Disney poster. Would like me to do my best Nolan or Tito impersonations?

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone else have this feeling? I can't remember going into a season as confident and non-worried about the team as this one. They seem to have no 'holes' (they aren't perfect but no team is) with competent players or better at every field and pitching slot. And that's what worries me LOL.

I guess going into 2013 I sorta felt this way, we won it all in 2012 with a balanced team and a sweep in the WS so we figured to have a good 2013. 2011 was different, we kind of came out of nowhere in 2010 so while I was feeling good I wasn't totally comfortable. 2014 was sort of the same way, we hardly dominated our way to that title so there were clearly holes to fill in 2015.

So this year I'm very confident. Uh oh....
Lol, right there with ya. Like Cal said tho, they are pretty well stocked with decent options. If Panik goes down, they have Tomlinson, Golastplease and Arroyo in the minors. If Duffy struggles, see Panik situation. If Cain or Peavy struggle, Heston looks like a suitable replacement with Beade waiting in the wings.
The Bully looks like it may be a transition year, but it has a lot of talent/options to choose from and well, Bochy is Bochy.

I share your concerns tho.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One can always find reasons to worry. Invite Nolan or Tito to the forum and they'll give you plenty of reasons. Maybe you should worry that I even mentioned either former Disney poster. Would like me to do my best Nolan or Tito impersonations?

HELL NO

Reactions: LHG

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol, in fairness, those two did lend a helping hand.....

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And then, JC takes a liner off the dome.

I'm not sure if it's MSG or Whiteside's fault...

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Msg is a WHITE Sox fan from the south SIDE.

How did we not see the obvious before now??

Actually I'm from the north SIDE (still works). My dad just wanted to be different from all his Cub fan friends.

But I am Eli Whiteside, interestingly.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually I'm from the north SIDE (still works). My dad just wanted to be different from all his Cub fan friends.

But I am Eli Whiteside, interestingly.
I hate it when one of my alts is Eli....grrrrrr

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ESPN preseason power rankings, Giants at 3 (Dodgers 10), then Royals at 2, and 1908 at 1 obviously.

Even the weaknesses they list for the giants are kind of weak, like can Belt come back from a concussion (yeah says his spring training stats) or can Cueto rebound from a terrible year (it wasn't, just a very bad stretch of AL starts).

2016 season preview: No. 3 San Francisco Giants

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ESPN preseason power rankings, Giants at 3 (Dodgers 10), then Royals at 2, and 1908 at 1 obviously.

Even the weaknesses they list for the giants are kind of weak, like can Belt come back from a concussion (yeah says his spring training stats) or can Cueto rebound from a terrible year (it wasn't, just a very bad stretch of AL starts).

2016 season preview: No. 3 San Francisco Giants
I was kind of hoping for a lower ranking. I like when we're overlooked.

1phlapdown

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was kind of hoping for a lower ranking. I like when we're overlooked.
Yes, but we're still not picked to win it all. :yes: We got 'em just where we want 'em, again. (like division series vs. Reds :D)

On the other hand, that cover of SI last week.... :L