• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

If you can't trade down...

ksudodger

Unofficial board GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I absolutely do not, under any circumstances short of an RGIII type deal, want the Rams to deal Bradford right now. I understand that if he under performs THIS year he is probably gone with zero compensation. I simply would rather THIS team as it is built NOW get a real shot with a QB that is 100% familiar with the offense but can also teach a young backup (Murray,Savage,Fales) how to run the offense so that if he falters and the team decides to go another direction, we will still be in good shape.

ozarkram

Animale rurale
Hoopla Cash
$ 190.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I absolutely do not, under any circumstances short of an RGIII type deal, want the Rams to deal Bradford right now. I understand that if he under performs THIS year he is probably gone with zero compensation. I simply would rather THIS team as it is built NOW get a real shot with a QB that is 100% familiar with the offense but can also teach a young backup (Murray,Savage,Fales) how to run the offense so that if he falters and the team decides to go another direction, we will still be in good shape.
So in the scenario where Sam is failing next year and will be gone. You would prefer that the failing starter teach the offense too the new guys that he is failing in?

BOSS429Mustang

Politically Incorrect
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So in the scenario where Sam is failing next year and will be gone. You would prefer that the failing starter teach the offense too the new guys that he is failing in?[/QUOTE

Touché Ozark. That is exactly what I was thinking. Talk about the blind leading the blind. Bradford and Shottenheimer STILL don't have a clue what they're doing even after two seasons together. I think they proved that last year at the start before they changed the offense to a more conservative approach. Why would you want to stunt the growth of a new QB coming in with the ineptitude you've displayed up to this point?

If somebody is dumb enough to offer us a 1st rd pick for wennie boy I say we take it and run like hell fire is licking at our heels before they have a chance to change their minds. If what you say is true about there still being interest in Bradford around the league, we have to strike while the iron is hot. If he has another year like his status quo, the interest will dwindle rapidly. I've read multiple reports that Bradford is now NOT regarded as highly as he used to be, so I guess it depends on where you get your news from. I suppose there is always going to be people that think they can "reform" or "coach" a player that hasn't lived up to potential. Look how many chances Lawrence Phillips got, or Albert Haynesworth, etc. Trade Bradford while the market is still ripe for him(her)

Red_Chaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Considering Matt shaub went for a 7th, this talk for a first is crazy.

mutigers1fan

the SoCo kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guys no one would trade for Bradford because of his cap hit.

ozarkram

Animale rurale
Hoopla Cash
$ 190.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So in the scenario where Sam is failing next year and will be gone. You would prefer that the failing starter teach the offense too the new guys that he is failing in?[/QUOTE

Touché Ozark. That is exactly what I was thinking. Talk about the blind leading the blind. Bradford and Shottenheimer STILL don't have a clue what they're doing even after two seasons together. I think they proved that last year at the start before they changed the offense to a more conservative approach. Why would you want to stunt the growth of a new QB coming in with the ineptitude you've displayed up to this point?

If somebody is dumb enough to offer us a 1st rd pick for wennie boy I say we take it and run like hell fire is licking at our heels before they have a chance to change their minds. If what you say is true about there still being interest in Bradford around the league, we have to strike while the iron is hot. If he has another year like his status quo, the interest will dwindle rapidly. I've read multiple reports that Bradford is now NOT regarded as highly as he used to be, so I guess it depends on where you get your news from. I suppose there is always going to be people that think they can "reform" or "coach" a player that hasn't lived up to potential. Look how many chances Lawrence Phillips got, or Albert Haynesworth, etc. Trade Bradford while the market is still ripe for him(her)
Well believe it or not Sam still fits the bill as an NFL prototype QB. His character seems to be above reproach. And it depends on your point of view. If you believe Sam has just had a series of bad breaks then you might be willing to take a shot.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is he due the next two years. I saw a figure of 27 mil. That could be wrong. But not bad for a NFL starting QB.

They have that much cap room though, as any trade would likely be for draft picks, so no cap relief to counter the addition.

Dumping Bradford now sets the team back. I don't think any of this somewhat underwhelming QB class are ready to contribute from day 1. Theoretically Shaun Hill could step in, but he's never done it for a full season either, and has a new system to learn.

If a trade down in the first round this year nets a 2015 first, the Rams could have the ammunition to move up in the 1st next year if they need a franchise QB to replace Bradford.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If a team believes that he is what they need, they will offer a trade. After watching sports for nearly 60 years, I am never surprised at what people will do when they are convinced that a certain player will help them achieve their goal of winning it all. Bradford could be traded even with his big salary.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure, but the salary makes it that much tougher, especially this late after free agency.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. But the likelihood of Bradford being traded is not very high but not entirely out of the question either especially due to the latest mandate issued by the Rams. Play up to your number one overall status or you are history. This indeed could be more motivation than threat but nonetheless, the room for a trade is counched in all of this.

ksudodger

Unofficial board GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is he due the next two years. I saw a figure of 27 mil. That could be wrong. But not bad for a NFL starting QB.

I think it is closer to 32 million for this year and next...I will need to look it up. As for the whole "blind leading the blind" comment. Remember, Shotty tried to change the offense to use Austin in the offense in the beginning of the season and failed. It was not until he went back to the run first offense that he actually won with in New York that we succeeded. Bradford knows the offense, if he fails it is because he cannot execute it effectively. That has nothing to do with whether he can teach someone, who may or may not have more ability than he does, the offensive scheme.

ozarkram

Animale rurale
Hoopla Cash
$ 190.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its all hypothetical. (trade talk) But if we are shooting for the stars ie the Super bowl. I think all options should be considered. I don't hate Bradford and would love to see him do great. It helps us all. From what I can gather as a person he (Sam) is an all around great guy. Its just it hasn't produced wins for the team to this point.

ozarkram

Animale rurale
Hoopla Cash
$ 190.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think it is closer to 32 million for this year and next...I will need to look it up. As for the whole "blind leading the blind" comment. Remember, Shotty tried to change the offense to use Austin in the offense in the beginning of the season and failed. It was not until he went back to the run first offense that he actually won with in New York that we succeeded. Bradford knows the offense, if he fails it is because he cannot execute it effectively. That has nothing to do with whether he can teach someone, who may or may not have more ability than he does, the offensive scheme.
Those that can do and those that cant teach. :lol: Couldn't help myself.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ozark, you are going to have to post more and get that post count above 500, dude. lol.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd take a 2nd and 4th this year.
It would probably be closer to a 5th this year and a 2nd-7th next year depending on how he plays. Nobody is going to give anything major for Bradford up front because of his salary and injury history. If one would think he is a bum, that basically means you're getting rid of him for 1 or 2 late round picks. There is no real strategy to profit off Bradford. Trading Bradford at this juncture just means that you think one of the QBs in this draft is really awesome.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If a team believes that he is what they need, they will offer a trade. After watching sports for nearly 60 years, I am never surprised at what people will do when they are convinced that a certain player will help them achieve their goal of winning it all. Bradford could be traded even with his big salary.

If Bradford had more success to this point, no question...his contract is not a trade deterrent...obviously Manning had no trouble finding work with his price tag.

But Bradford's body of work to date shows more promise, than proven...the contract is a deterrent imo. You can get promise from a rookie, and a rookie contract is far cheaper.

ozarkram

Animale rurale
Hoopla Cash
$ 190.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would probably be closer to a 5th this year and a 2nd-7th next year depending on how he plays. Nobody is going to give anything major for Bradford up front because of his salary and injury history. If one would think he is a bum, that basically means you're getting rid of him for 1 or 2 late round picks. There is no real strategy to profit off Bradford. Trading Bradford at this juncture just means that you think one of the QBs in this draft is really awesome.
Not necessarily. Trading Bradford now may mean you are trying to get something while you still can. We have more than one position of need. And it has already been suggested that our new back up could start. We wont know who is and isn't "awesome" till they hit the field.