• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

If you can't trade down...

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think drafting Watkins makes them Matt Millen. Watkins plays a different position from Austin.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think drafting Watkins makes them Matt Millen. Watkins plays a different position from Austin.
I think it does if you factor in Quick and the fact that Austin cost 2 draft picks. Snead is tied to those picks, imo. I'd be stunned if the Rams drafted a WR in round 1

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't let that keep you from getting elite talent though. All depends on their draft board.

Besides, those Lions picks were #2, #10, #7 and #2. They got it right the first time and kept trying again for more #1s for some reason when what they really needed were complimentary receivers to Calvin. Rams still need that #1 type; all they have are complimentary receivers. It's a tough job finding a #1 later in the draft.

Last edited by a moderator:

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the rams go OL at 2 I'll be shocked if it's not Matthews. I agree Clayton Lewan at 13 would be nice but I'm thinking if Fisher doesn't go Matthews we are not going OL in rd 1 which is fine with me.

ksudodger

Unofficial board GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am on the same page there. Either Matthews is picked at #2 or we are focusing on Juwan James, Cyrus Kouandjio and Morgan Moses is round 2, which is totally ok by me. For example:

#2 Watkins or Clowney
#13 Gilbert,Dix,Pryor or Dennard
2nd Kouandjio,Moses or James
3rd Deone Buchanon
4th Tom Savage
5th S or CB, whichever was not taken at #13
6th Isaiah Crowell or James Wilder Jr
6th Prince Shembo
7th Trey Millard
7th Colt Lyerla
7th Eathyn Manumaleuna
7th Aaron Colvin

BOSS429Mustang

Politically Incorrect
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Been reading a lot of buzz that the Texans are going to trade down and then still pick one of the QBs, all of which seem to be falling in the draft. That would make a lot of sense for them, but be bad for us. The 2nd pick would then be significantly devalued and we probably wouldn't get optimum value for it if we were determined to trade out of the spot.

The Texans need a QB more than they need a DE. Some unexpected things are certainly going to occur in this draft that were given less attention. I think this is a much stronger possibility than most of the other suggestions I've read. Think about it, Houston still gets their QB, and then additional picks as well in that scenario. Makes all the sense in the world, unfortunately for us.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Been reading a lot of buzz that the Texans are going to trade down and then still pick one of the QBs, all of which seem to be falling in the draft. That would make a lot of sense for them, but be bad for us. The 2nd pick would then be significantly devalued and we probably wouldn't get optimum value for it if we were determined to trade out of the spot.

The Texans need a QB more than they need a DE. Some unexpected things are certainly going to occur in this draft that were given less attention. I think this is a much stronger possibility than most of the other suggestions I've read. Think about it, Houston still gets their QB, and then additional picks as well in that scenario. Makes all the sense in the world, unfortunately for us.

Well, it does mean that Mack is unlikely to get past Jacksonville (if they aren't the team to move up). Or, a team bent on selecting a QB (maybe TB or Minn?) could want to get ahead of Houston to get their first choice. Regardless, it seems the return for trading down could be below the typical rate.

BOSS429Mustang

Politically Incorrect
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Clowney is gone, and we end up staying at 2, I guess I'd have to grudgingly concede on Wadkins, even though our coaching staff would probably misuse him just like they did with Austin. He's the second most dynamic player in the draft after Clowney. If the buffoon and the wennie finally get an idea of what they're doing, Wadkins paired with Austin could prove very interesting.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or Wadkins with Bailey and Austin in a three-set.

They could tailor that 3rd WR to the situation, using Bailey or Givens in the middle of the field and Pettis/Quick in the red zone (depending on down and distance). A lot of flexibility (although one of that group is probably out if Watkins is the pick).

mutigers1fan

the SoCo kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't understand why everyone is so obsessed with Watkins. I'd much rather see the Rams move back, still get Robinson in the 1st, and then have a high pick in the 2nd where they can likely get Allen Robinson. That's worth far more than Watkins.

BOSS429Mustang

Politically Incorrect
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd acquiesce on Wadkins because he's the most dynamic WR in the draft, and also if nothing else, with so much supposed talent then on the team at receiver, if it failed we could finally put the Bradford/Shottenheimer experiment to rest and throw both of them under a speeding bus where they belong.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd acquiesce on Wadkins because he's the most dynamic WR in the draft, and also if nothing else, with so much supposed talent then on the team at receiver, if it failed we could finally put the Bradford/Shottenheimer experiment to rest and throw both of them under a speeding bus where they belong.
It would likely be Pettis, Givens or Bailey being thrown under the bus first for whatever thats worth.

ozarkram

Animale rurale
Hoopla Cash
$ 190.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the "for what its worth" category. Read a very interesting article (sorry don't have the link) the other day. In which the author made a very convincing case for shopping Bradford around now. Instead of later. It seems Bradford is still very highly thought of in NFL insider circles. The author didn't say the Rams would he just made the case they should.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree Ozark. I know the Texans would love to see that happen and I know they may cough-up a few draft picks for ole Sammy.

ozarkram

Animale rurale
Hoopla Cash
$ 190.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree Ozark. I know the Texans would love to see that happen and I know they may cough-up a few draft picks for ole Sammy.
You could probably throw The Viks and Browns in the mix.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the "for what its worth" category. Read a very interesting article (sorry don't have the link) the other day. In which the author made a very convincing case for shopping Bradford around now. Instead of later. It seems Bradford is still very highly thought of in NFL insider circles. The author didn't say the Rams would he just made the case they should.
Yeah, there has been a bit of talk around Manziel as of late. The scenario of trading down, trading Bradford and taking Bortles/Carr/Manziel is a real possibility but it all reeks of smokescreen.

Bradford's trade value would be based on play, I'm assuming. The Rams would likely get a late round pick this year (read: salary) and then a variable pick based on how well he would play next year. If Bradford is the dud that people think he is, I dont think he would net much more than a couple of late rounders. Not a ton of reward

bluepigpen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do we want a rookie? Lets see what Bradford has this season, do draft a guy this draft, a number of guys fit the bill and hand him the keys to a clip board and knowledge from the sidelines. Moving back is logical if the value is there for extra QUALITY picks and still get the OT and Safety, but if Williams and Fisher think Mack can fit in along with Pryor or HaHa with 13, might just be the way to go in this division. Get OT and OG quickly after that. Go with the WRs we have and run the crap out of the ball with a great defense.

ozarkram

Animale rurale
Hoopla Cash
$ 190.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, there has been a bit of talk around Manziel as of late. The scenario of trading down, trading Bradford and taking Bortles/Carr/Manziel is a real possibility but it all reeks of smokescreen.

Bradford's trade value would be based on play, I'm assuming. The Rams would likely get a late round pick this year (read: salary) and then a variable pick based on how well he would play next year. If Bradford is the dud that people think he is, I don't think he would net much more than a couple of late rounders. Not a ton of reward
It maybe just a smokescreen. My understanding is Bradford has already got his big money so teams wouldn't be taking a big hit. Fisher and Co. did not draft him so no real loyalty there. I guess it would come down too upside and downside.

ozarkram

Animale rurale
Hoopla Cash
$ 190.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do we want a rookie? Lets see what Bradford has this season, do draft a guy this draft, a number of guys fit the bill and hand him the keys to a clip board and knowledge from the sidelines. Moving back is logical if the value is there for extra QUALITY picks and still get the OT and Safety, but if Williams and Fisher think Mack can fit in along with Pryor or HaHa with 13, might just be the way to go in this division. Get OT and OG quickly after that. Go with the WRs we have and run the crap out of the ball with a great defense.
I agree with almost everything you have to say blue. And I hope Sam comes out and has a banner year. If he does I will be more than happy to eat my plate of crow. Lord knows I have eaten plenty before. As far as starting a rookie at QB. I have no problem with that.