• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

If Titans Are Smart Hue Jackson For Head Coach And Duke Tobin GM

MIKE75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Out of all the names being floated around i'm gonna throw two names out there who deserve to be head coach and GM and i'm gonna use cold hard facts to back it all up. I don't want Adam Gase,Darrell Bevell and sure as hell don't want Chip Kelly contrary to what most TN fans believe he is not a good candidate.

The two are Hue Jackson and Duke Tobin and whats even better is they both come from the same locale in Cincinnati which will be great if they two are hired together because both are already very familiar with one another.

Due to the familiarity factor these two would actually work very well together especially since they've been around each other for a few years. Both are successful and among the best if looking this year for a new head coach and GM.

In 11 of 15 NFL seasons Jackson has led his units to the top ten statistically and to me thats very impressive. Also he took a down and out Raiders team that before he got there had the worst record in the league as well as offense and in one year made them top ten offense and a two and three point loss from being 10-6 in 2010. The year before he arrived the Ravens were a 5-11 team with the 26th ranked offense and with Jackson went 11-5 and had a top ten ranking in offense in Joe Flacco's rookie year in 2008.

The most impressive thing Jackson has done this year is take Andy Dalton who had 19TD and 17INT in 2014 and a year later has Dalton at 25TD and 7INT completing 66% of his passes with a 106.2 QB rating headed toward career highs in all categories. Andy Dalton threw for over 3,000 yards for the 5th year in a row being the only QB to do that and go to playoffs all five years of his career.

Jackson runs a wide blend of plays against opponents from wide line formations to package plays to straight-up power football. He creates opportunities for his playmakers as well. The offense Jackson uses in Cincy is a good fit for Tennessee and Marcus Mariota.

Dalton's stats are improved because the offense is designed perfectly for easy routes. Dalton's strength has always been his accuracy especially in the short and intermediate pass game. Jackson's offense is accentuating those strengths. Marcus Mariota also happens to excel with the short pass game. In Jackson's offense Mariota should have success early and often in his second season.

As far as potential GM Duke Tobin he has played a substantial role in stocking a very talented roster that has made the postseason five straight years. The team has drafted better than almost any other in the league with very few free agents brought in from other teams and most all starters were drafted there. Starting in 2011 with drafting WR A.J. Green in the first and QB Andy Dalton in the second they've pretty much nailed each draft since then. Tobin has been with Cincy over a decade dating back to Carson Palmer being drafted.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You make a very interesting case. I hadn't even thought of Jackson after his stint with the Raiders.

I actually like Mularky and Horton as the coordinators, but I doubt they'll stay with the new HC change. But I'm just sayin that woulnd't be a bad set. Mularkey helped develop Matty Ice and Horton was the architect of some solid D's in the past.

But I'm curious to see what he'd bring in.

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, Duke ain't goin. Hue will be a HC somewhere, though. Perfect Rooney rule candidate.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lets see how the postseason plays out

If the Bengals do what they do, i wouldnt go near Jackson

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This would be the time to get a guy like Jackson.

Develop the QB. Become a playoff like tema in the next 2-3 years. Then get a real HC when they inevitably choke in the post season like this franchise ALWAYS does.

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Titans would be wise to FINALLY reach out to Eddie George for some help. They won't, though.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The most impressive thing Jackson has done this year is take Andy Dalton who had 19TD and 17INT in 2014 and a year later has Dalton at 25TD and 7INT completing 66% of his passes with a 106.2 QB rating headed toward career highs in all categories. Andy Dalton threw for over 3,000 yards for the 5th year in a row being the only QB to do that and go to playoffs all five years of his career.

You do know that Jackson was the OC in 2014, a year in which Dalton and the Bengals offense regressed (mostly because of injury) right? Obviously the offense is better this year but it really isn't much better than the 2013 version of the offense that Jay Gruden was running with all the same players only younger.

But Jackson has always done a solid job where he has went.

Personally though I would have a huge problem hiring him if I was an owner because of the abject failure in Oakland. He was the key person that the pushed for the Carson Palmer trade in Oak at a time when the owner's corpse was barely even cold. It was a huge power play move that completely backfired and set that franchise back 5 years. A move like that would never sit well with me.....a move that was so obviously a huge mistake at the time it was made really doesn't sit well with me.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You do know that Jackson was the OC in 2014, a year in which Dalton and the Bengals offense regressed (mostly because of injury) right? Obviously the offense is better this year but it really isn't much better than the 2013 version of the offense that Jay Gruden was running with all the same players only younger.

But Jackson has always done a solid job where he has went.

Personally though I would have a huge problem hiring him if I was an owner because of the abject failure in Oakland. He was the key person that the pushed for the Carson Palmer trade in Oak at a time when the owner's corpse was barely even cold. It was a huge power play move that completely backfired and set that franchise back 5 years. A move like that would never sit well with me.....a move that was so obviously a huge mistake at the time it was made really doesn't sit well with me.

to be fair, this is also a product of smart men not realizing that overnight success isn't a reality in the NFL, just like in real life.

A related example, you can't truly judge most college coaches fairly until their first recruiting class wraps up their eligibility. But we see guys getting axed before then. Similar concept.

The Raiders reached badly for Seymour and Palmer when they weren't ready to make moves like that. That's when your GM needs to say no.

Now imagine if the Bengals hadn't alienated palmer and got to use that 2nd round pick on something they really needed.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
to be fair, this is also a product of smart men not realizing that overnight success isn't a reality in the NFL, just like in real life.

A related example, you can't truly judge most college coaches fairly until their first recruiting class wraps up their eligibility. But we see guys getting axed before then. Similar concept.

The Raiders reached badly for Seymour and Palmer when they weren't ready to make moves like that. That's when your GM needs to say no.

Now imagine if the Bengals hadn't alienated palmer and got to use that 2nd round pick on something they really needed.

Hard to blame Cinci for the Palmer trade. Palmer just wanted out. And quite frankly Cinci was a radically better team without Palmer.

Because of this year, people are forgetting how terrible Palmer was for a long stretch. He was one of the main reasons the Bengals were losing. They replaced Palmer with Dalton and they have never missed the playoffs since because of it.

Palmer found a great home in Arizona. There aren't a lot of NFL teams where Palmer could have a lot of success. Him teamed up in Arians deep passing offense is one of the few.

It's actually quite an amazing turnaround. Palmer at one point was told to get Tommy John's and didn't want to do it so he didn't. He hadn't had the same arm strength since then and always struggled a little bit because of it. Now all of a sudden he has that arm strength again. Much like some of the things I said in the Manning PED thread about not being surprised Manning used PED to heal quickly from his injury....Palmer's arm strength improving and him having by far his best season as a pro after coming off an ACL tear is something that makes you go hmmm. Sport skeptics certainly should have their alarms bells going off by his performance this year.

Last edited:

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Amy Adams and Steve Underwood only have one question in their interviews of Hue Jackson and Duke Tobin.

"Will you ever say no?"

When was the last time the Titans made a smart hire?

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Amy Adams and Steve Underwood only have one question in their interviews of Hue Jackson and Duke Tobin.

"Will you ever say no?"

When was the last time the Titans made a smart hire?

Horton at DC was a better hire than a franchise of their caliber should have gotten.

Before that...maybe Dinger at OC? or Floyd Reese at GM?