• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

If the Spurs record surpasses the Warriors...

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The record in the standings is irrelevant when you're talking about the Spurs. The Spurs are thinking only about the end product and that end product is another championship title for Tim Duncan. Popovich will lose games and give up on them in order to protect his older players in order to preserve them for that occasion.

In the same vein, I would say that stats for individuals don't matter much when you're talking about the Spurs, too.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the same vein, I would say that stats for individuals don't matter much when you're talking about the Spurs, too.
Not really because no matter what they are seeded, they are capable of surprising you and blowing your team out of the water. In my opinion, they have been the best team in the NBA the last 15 years pretty consistently in delivering to their fans. Their fans have had a really good product every year

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really because no matter what they are seeded, they are capable of surprising you and blowing your team out of the water. In my opinion, they have been the best team in the NBA the last 15 years pretty consistently in delivering to their fans. Their fans have had a really good product every year

What I meant was that the Spurs don't care about gaudy stats for one individual or another - it's a team concept. So while some people might say that X player doesn't contribute the numbers that is MVP-Worthy, it's hard to blame the player who could have been a ball/stat hog for playing to win.

Someone said that record doesn't matter because they will rest players for the playoffs and give a game or so - they're still the best team, just not with the best record. So I was adding that stats don't matter matter because they don't play in a way to amplify one player over another to the extent of big time numbers - so they may still have an MVP-worthy player without the statistical numbers.

I mean, Duncan's point averages for his career is low when you compare to other PFs/Centers in the HOF and it has been his whole career save a year or two - look it up. His rebounds have been consistently high but averages are not as high - why? As his career progresses, the coaching staff is not asking him to do things to get more, he's playing fewer minutes, resting, and other factors that preserve him while other winning factors take place for them to win. But the Spurs are a great team and he's been the MVP of the team most if not all seasons.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I meant was that the Spurs don't care about gaudy stats for one individual or another - it's a team concept. So while some people might say that X player doesn't contribute the numbers that is MVP-Worthy, it's hard to blame the player who could have been a ball/stat hog for playing to win.

Someone said that record doesn't matter because they will rest players for the playoffs and give a game or so - they're still the best team, just not with the best record. So I was adding that stats don't matter matter because they don't play in a way to amplify one player over another to the extent of big time numbers - so they may still have an MVP-worthy player without the statistical numbers.

I mean, Duncan's point averages for his career is low when you compare to other PFs/Centers in the HOF and it has been his whole career save a year or two - look it up. His rebounds have been consistently high but averages are not as high - why? As his career progresses, the coaching staff is not asking him to do things to get more, he's playing fewer minutes, resting, and other factors that preserve him while other winning factors take place for them to win. But the Spurs are a great team and he's been the MVP of the team most if not all seasons.
:10::agree: We're on the same page here. I think the Spurs has been the best team sport in that regard in the last two decades. They play for the team, rest players for the team, scheduling for the team and even get hit with fines for the team. Popovich sending Duncan, Parker and Ginobili home to rest instead of playing them on that last game of that long road trip a few years ago was classic art and a template for years to come. Popovich knew they would be too tired to play and compete and so did the NBA when they scheduled it. They set up some easy ones like that for the weaker teams and Pop's basically sent Stern the Bronx cheer and nearly won the damned game.:lol:

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By the way, I intended for that post to agree with you that the Spurs really don't worry or care about stats.