• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

If Devin White falls to #11

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
11. Cincinnati Bengals – Ohio State QB Dwayne Haskins

I thought about an offensive lineman, but how often do chances to draft a developmental QB come up like this? Andy Dalton has an extremely team-friendly contract, and the Bengals can move on from him at basically any point with no collateral damage. Grooming Haskins in what should be a rebuild season would be a deft move. New head coach Zac Taylor was asked at the scouting combine what he sought in a potential quarterback addition, and it seems to fit Haskins’ traits to a tee.

“The important thing is are they going to elevate the level of play of the people around them,” Taylor said. “Are they ready to lead and be accurate, can they get the ball out on time, are they tough physically and mentally? So if a guy has all those traits and you are willing to invest the time in them to figure out what they do best, how they process information and how to get the most out of them, then [they] have a shot to succeed.”

Problem is, Taylor sees Dalton as that exact clone of what he is looking for.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now you are being too naive here. Yes, every team has an equal amount of money to spend on their players with that salary cap. The difference now a days is, that guaranteed money (signing bonus).

If a guy, say Thomas of the Ravens, gets a 4 years at 55 million with a 20 million signing bonus...the Ravens have to give him 20 million right that minute. Yes, this is part of the cap and they will recoup this money over that 4 year period, but in the meantime, that money had to come from somewhere.

The Browns and Rooney's are football guys. Their money comes from football, not outside sources like some of these billion dollar owners. Plus, market will help determine that extra income as well to put towards signing bonuses and what not.

It is a not a huge disadvantage, but it is certainly a disadvantage for smaller market teams, especially smaller market teams whose owners are football guys, not billionaire entrepreneurs.

This is absolutely not correct.... And insane. Do you really believe that small market teams do not have cash on hand for these deals? Or that they will be hamstrung by cutting them? The league just cut a check this past year for 255 million dollars for each team. This was above the regular money that already supports player pay roll. It was pure profit. Every single franchise is rolling in money. And this has nothing to do with payroll. Just profits.

BTW -- A team that is well known for frontloading contracts are the Steelers. Last I heard, Pittsburgh isn't the biggest market.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IDK about that...agree that you can't buy a team in the NFL so just being in a big market doesn't really offer a big advantage in that sense. But...off the field money making endorsement opportunities are considerably better in large markets.

Just using A. Brown as an example...BUF could pay him as much as OAK could, but the lure of being in SF or Vegas was a lot more attractive.

Outside of Buffalo, I've never seen this come up in the NFL the way it does in the NBA. NFL players aren't as marketable as NBA players. Every year we see guys sign contracts with teams from all over the league.... Not everyone is chomping at the bit to play in New York or LA. I haven't seen OBJ cry about leaving the NY market for Cleveland.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW - Mike Brown's net worth in 2015 was 925 million.... After the market of the past 3 years, his net worth is well over a billion. The Bengals franchise was valued at 1.8 billion. They bought the team for 7.7 million dollars.

I'm not sure how these football families do it. Maybe they can get an equity loan or something.

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW - Mike Brown's net worth in 2015 was 925 million.... After the market of the past 3 years, his net worth is well over a billion. The Bengals franchise was valued at 1.8 billion. They bought the team for 7.7 million dollars.

I'm not sure how these football families do it. Maybe they can get an equity loan or something.

I hope the Le Sabre is holding up for Mike.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Outside of Buffalo, I've never seen this come up in the NFL the way it does in the NBA. NFL players aren't as marketable as NBA players. Every year we see guys sign contracts with teams from all over the league.... Not everyone is chomping at the bit to play in New York or LA. I haven't seen OBJ cry about leaving the NY market for Cleveland.

True...the cap won't allow it.

OBJ is making big bank just playing football, CLE looks on the uptick, Lebron made it work, not as much the mistake on the lake it was know for. Question...if he started his career in CLE, would he have gotten the hair commercial?

But in the grand scheme of things if a player can chose and both teams are offering the same money...GB or MIA?...IMO, most players would take MIA.

BKBroiler9000

Glass Eater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Problem is, Taylor sees Dalton as that exact clone of what he is looking for.

It’s coach speak. They all say that. Just like Kliff Kingsberry keeps saying Josh Rosen is “his guy.”

If there’s a QB at #11 that Zac Taylor likes, he’s getting picked. No doubt in my mind.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True...the cap won't allow it.

OBJ is making big bank just playing football, CLE looks on the uptick, Lebron made it work, not as much the mistake on the lake it was know for. Question...if he started his career in CLE, would he have gotten the hair commercial?

But in the grand scheme of things if a player can chose and both teams are offering the same money...GB or MIA?...IMO, most players would take MIA.

But that doesn't seem to happen. Hell, Detroit gets their fair share of free agent signings. Football is a short season in comparison to other seasons (baseball, basketball, hockey). Guys often have their primary residences outside of the city they play in. For example, AJ Green lives in Atlanta (as do a lot of players). It's a quick direct flight from Cincinnati and he's probably their for most of the offseason as well as any extended breaks during the season. My hunch is that players take the best money, followed by the best opportunity, and then followed by the location. But I think that's a distant third.

And I don't think it's a straight forward decision when choosing to play for LA or NY. While teams have to spend the same overall money, taxes are different depending on where you play. For that reason, teams in Florida and Texas are better places to keep more of your paycheck. California is the worst and I'm guessing New York isn't great either. I read somewhere that Philip Rivers pays the largest marginal tax bill of any NFL player.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But that doesn't seem to happen. Hell, Detroit gets their fair share of free agent signings. Football is a short season in comparison to other seasons (baseball, basketball, hockey). Guys often have their primary residences outside of the city they play in. For example, AJ Green lives in Atlanta (as do a lot of players). It's a quick direct flight from Cincinnati and he's probably their for most of the offseason as well as any extended breaks during the season. My hunch is that players take the best money, followed by the best opportunity, and then followed by the location. But I think that's a distant third.

And I don't think it's a straight forward decision when choosing to play for LA or NY. While teams have to spend the same overall money, taxes are different depending on where you play. For that reason, teams in Florida and Texas are better places to keep more of your paycheck. California is the worst and I'm guessing New York isn't great either. I read somewhere that Philip Rivers pays the largest marginal tax bill of any NFL player.

Agreed...in the NFL, the FA players often take the largest payday understanding it might be their last....on the topic I still think not markets but brands, do have a slight advantage, and I emphasize slight here and that's why it doesn't show up in the standings.

ATL is home to a lot of professional athletes/actors...overall cost of living is a factor along with the airport, moderate winter, it's doubled in size in the 22 yrs I've been here.