• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

If Bridgewater is there @ 14, do you take him?

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since the board is slow right now, just thought I'd throw something out for conversation.
Heard his draft stock dropped significantly after his pro day performance.
But I think he's the best, most pro ready QB coming out.
I doubt pro personnel feel like most of the guys who put out mock drafts.
Game tape shows more than combine & workouts do, in my mind.
I'd take him in a heart beat. Just think his trade value would be enormous , even while the current draft is going on.
I watched at least 3 of his games this yr. And I saw a guy w/good pocket presence, accurate w/his throws, a good decision maker, and a good leader.
No doubt the pros saw the same thing.
I doubt he falls to 14. But if he does, what are your thoughts?

leomaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would rather have Blake Bortles. He may not be as ready as Bridgewater but you don't need a ready made QB to sit behind Jay in my opinion

nebearsfan70

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If for some reason Bridgewater happens to fall to 14, which is unlikely, then absolutely the Bears snatch him.

C

cubzzzfanincali

You trade the pick to a team willing and wanting him if possible, but otherwise yes you draft him. Potential high end qbs make excellent trade fodder down the road.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No... Hell no... The reason we didn't go to the playoffs this past year is because of Defensive issues. The Bears were # freakin 2 in scoring last season in the entire NFL. We still have holes that need filling on D.

This is a make or break year for Cutler, no excuses. IF he doesn't work out well enough this year, then we can talk drafting a young QB high next season. IF the Bears pick one this year, I can see it in rounds 3 or later. At least that is my hope.

C

cubzzzfanincali

I don't understand your logic NC. For numerous reasons.

1) Last year was Cutler's "make or break" year. Given the contract he just signed, this is hardly his make or break year. Cutler is now in it for the long haul with us, like it or not.

2) Signing a defensive player obviously may well be good for the franchise, but doing so should hardly affect anyone's impression of Cutler's play. Drafting any D player or another QB should have ZERO bearing on evaluating Cutler's play. If the defense sucks, or is great, that should have no bearing at all on whether we decide Cutler is worth sticking with (a little too late now).

3) Are you implying the Bears only have a one year window? Why? I don't see it that way at all.

4) Although I am totally with you that last year the D cost us games, I'm not sure that the 2014 Bears will play out the same way. I mean...sure...it COULD. But if Cutler gets hurt, and there's no QB to step in a la the Great McC, and we lose games because of it, regardless of D play, then the franchise has been shortchanged.

Now listen, I do get your point. Fill the roster with guys surrounding Cutler and give him a chance to win. I know that's what you mean. Ordinarily, then, it means no way do you draft someone who is a planned backup with your 14th. Gotcha. However, when it comes to a potential franchise QB, that calculus changes. Even if he doesn't become OUR franchise QB, look what kind of a haul developed backup quality QBs have produced for their teams in recent year trades. If Bridgewater really is that great, then he becomes worth multiple high draft picks. Only a QB can really drive the calculus like this because of the potential trade haul. Let's say Cutler gets hurt, Bridgewater wins a couple of games, and then we trade him away next offseason for 2 1sts and a 2nd (yes I know this is extremely hypothetical...but also quite possible). Drafting them would have then turned into a HUGE win for the Bears.

The only exception to drafting a D player I can think of is if Bortles or Bridgewater falls to us, and on top of it for some reason we can't find any teams who want to trade with us. Of course, the chances of this happening are close to zero. Both will be gone in the top 5. Bet on it. Bet a LOT on it. But in the insanely unlikely event that one of those two does drop to 14, we'd be insane not to draft him.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

1) Last year was Cutler's "make or break" year. Given the contract he just signed, this is hardly his make or break year. Cutler is now in it for the long haul with us, like it or not.

2) Signing a defensive player obviously may well be good for the franchise, but doing so should hardly affect anyone's impression of Cutler's play. Drafting any D player or another QB should have ZERO bearing on evaluating Cutler's play. If the defense sucks, or is great, that should have no bearing at all on whether we decide Cutler is worth sticking with (a little too late now).

3) Are you implying the Bears only have a one year window? Why? I don't see it that way at all.

4) Although I am totally with you that last year the D cost us games, I'm not sure that the 2014 Bears will play out the same way. I mean...sure...it COULD. But if Cutler gets hurt, and there's no QB to step in a la the Great McC, and we lose games because of it, regardless of D play, then the franchise has been shortchanged.

Now listen, I do get your point. Fill the roster with guys surrounding Cutler and give him a chance to win. I know that's what you mean. Ordinarily, then, it means no way do you draft someone who is a planned backup with your 14th. Gotcha. However, when it comes to a potential franchise QB, that calculus changes. Even if he doesn't become OUR franchise QB, look what kind of a haul developed backup quality QBs have produced for their teams in recent year trades. If Bridgewater really is that great, then he becomes worth multiple high draft picks. Only a QB can really drive the calculus like this because of the potential trade haul. Let's say Cutler gets hurt, Bridgewater wins a couple of games, and then we trade him away next offseason for 2 1sts and a 2nd (yes I know this is extremely hypothetical...but also quite possible). Drafting them would have then turned into a HUGE win for the Bears.

The only exception to drafting a D player I can think of is if Bortles or Bridgewater falls to us, and on top of it for some reason we can't find any teams who want to trade with us. Of course, the chances of this happening are close to zero. Both will be gone in the top 5. Bet on it. Bet a LOT on it. But in the insanely unlikely event that one of those two does drop to 14, we'd be insane not to draft him.

It his make or break year........again!

I don`t wanna hear no more god damned excuses on why this guy doesn`t get us to the playoffs.
This is why they paid him.All i ever hear is how he is the best qb this team has ever had,and yet we make up excuses for him all the damn time.

Enough is enough..............he either gets us there or he gets his walking papers.

I take Bridgewater with the first if he is there.
Cutler goes down again,we may have a viable qb to replace him for good............

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don`t wanna hear no more god damned excuses on why this guy doesn`t get us to the playoffs.
This is why they paid him.All i ever hear is how he is the best qb this team has ever had,and yet we make up excuses for him all the damn time.

Enough is enough..............he either gets us there or he gets his walking papers.

Cutler goes down again,we may have a viable qb to replace him for good............

Again, the Bear offense was ranked #2 in scoring points.... Cutler wasn't the problem last year, the Defense was. The only complaint against Jay was him getting hurt which really is out of his hands... Same with the Defense, a metric ton of injuries. Cutler did fine last year.

QB isn't our problem, which is why I wouldn't choose one in any of the first 2 rounds, no matter who dropped.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would rather have Blake Bortles. He may not be as ready as Bridgewater but you don't need a ready made QB to sit behind Jay in my opinion

Just posted this for some conversation.
Bortles seems like the #1 consensus QB coming off the board by most mockers that I've seen.
I doubt he slips to us at all.
Just seen a lot of dislike for Bridgewater after a poor pro day showing by the same mockers.
I doubt the pros have the same perspective as the guys putting out the mocks.
The pros usually use game tape to evaluate players.
Just think Teddy has some pretty good tape.
I doubt either is available @ 14. Just thought the what if , would bring some conversation to the board.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Great post Cali.:10:
No disrespect to NC . But Cali lays out the facts why a top QB would be a smart move.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Just think if he was playing Free Safety also last year. We would have made the playoffs.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh...

We just inked a QB to a gigantic deal… and he's 30. Not 35.

I suppose it's not a bad idea though. Rather trade the pick away to someone desperate for a QB. However, I suppose I wouldn't be against us pulling a GB on Aaron Rodgers.

It would just be a bitch hearing the dumb masses cry for Bridgewater after Cutler has one bad game.

Last edited by a moderator:

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh...

We just inked a QB to a gigantic deal… and he's 30. Not 35.

I suppose it's not a bad idea though. Rather trade the pick away to someone desperate for a QB. However, I suppose I wouldn't be against us pulling a GB on Aaron Rodgers.

It would just be a bitch hearing the dumb masses cry for Bridgewater after Cutler has one bad game.

All qbs have a bad game............i just don`t wanna see him get hurt again for any extended time.......

enough is enough already,we need someone who can finish a whole season.and step up in the bigger games.

i would not be opposed at all to give cutler some competition.Cause palmer will not be the answer.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just think if he was playing Free Safety also last year. We would have made the playoffs.

We all know it was the defense as to the real reason why we didn`t make the playoffs......right?

But i also wonder why some guys on here have not realized then that it had nothing to do with McCown`s play...............Right leo?McCown should have won more games for us.........Right leo? It could never of been our defense.........right Leo?
I mean you did give a thumbs up to NCC`s post stating what we`ve been talking about for some time and you`ve neglected to agree.

so in retrospect........could we have gotten by with a cheaper qb then instead of pay a qb that gets hurt all the time or can not show up in the huge games all that money?

We needed a huge upgrade in our def-line and def-backs. And we got some of those guys.And with our offensive play(providing JC plays the whole season)we could possibly get by on def with what we have.
Take a chance with a qb in the first if a qb falls that far and some d-back in the 2nd and 3rd.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, the Bear offense was ranked #2 in scoring points.... Cutler wasn't the problem last year, the Defense was. The only complaint against Jay was him getting hurt which really is out of his hands... Same with the Defense, a metric ton of injuries. Cutler did fine last year.

QB isn't our problem, which is why I wouldn't choose one in any of the first 2 rounds, no matter who dropped.

I know this..............But we have gotten a lot of the pieces of the puzzle on def now.A good def-line can make the -backs better too.
But what is gonna happen when JC gets hurt again,and I beleive he will,but hope not.Are we gonna have the same type of season out of Palmer that JM had?.............I highly doubt it.

This is where it woul;d be nice to have a replacement for JC.

leomaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
why can't the offense win some games

We all know it was the defense as to the real reason why we didn`t make the playoffs......right?

But i also wonder why some guys on here have not realized then that it had nothing to do with McCown`s play...............Right leo?McCown should have won more games for us.........Right leo? It could never of been our defense.........right Leo?
I mean you did give a thumbs up to NCC`s post stating what we`ve been talking about for some time and you`ve neglected to agree.

so in retrospect........could we have gotten by with a cheaper qb then instead of pay a qb that gets hurt all the time or can not show up in the huge games all that money?

We needed a huge upgrade in our def-line and def-backs. And we got some of those guys.And with our offensive play(providing JC plays the whole season)we could possibly get by on def with what we have.
Take a chance with a qb in the first if a qb falls that far and some d-back in the 2nd and 3rd.

Woulda coulda shoulda. Sometimes your offense needs to step up. Who cares about last season, now. I've moved on, you shoud move on as well. No reason at all to take a QB at 14 if only to use him as trade bait. You will never get fair trade value for him. We have bigger needs than a QB at 14

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Uh… so when Josh loses two straight to two sub .500 teams in the midst of extremely pedestrian offensive performances... it's the defenses fault. However, when Jay plays a great football game and the defense loses the game on a 4th down blown coverage with 30 seconds remaining… it's Jay's fault.

Gotcha.

Jay has had two significant injuries that caused him to miss time in his career, he's started 101 out of 114 games, and mostly behind an offensive line that was up until recently duct taped together with cast-offs and rookie busts. What big games was he awful in? First career playoff game vs Seattle… spotless showing. Every big late season game in 2010 down the stretch… best football he's played as a Bear probably. Put up 38 points in a great performance against the #1 ranked Jets D in order to clinch a first round bye. In the Green Bay game, we all know he got hurt, but again… how many freaking times was the guy hit per drop back? Then you take on a pass rush like the Pack had in 2010, what the fuck do you want dude? You can only avoid disaster for so long. He's a human being… when human beings get the shit beat out of them for years, they tend to get hurt.

I just… I don't get what the hell you want. You want to sign and keep around veteran cast-offs? That's what your plan is? :laugh3:

If you want to play "cheapskate" with the QB position in the NFL, than I really don't know what the hell sport you're watching. Jay wasn't paid like the best QB in football. He was paid like a top ten QB, and he played like one last year. Wilson, Kaep, Luck, etc… all of these guys upcoming contracts will surpass Jay's. Guarantee it.

Is Cutler a Peyton Manning, Rodgers, or a Tom Brady? No. No one is suggesting that he is. He wasn't paid like the best QB in football either. Jesus...

Last edited by a moderator:

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All qbs have a bad game............i just don`t wanna see him get hurt again for any extended time.......

enough is enough already,we need someone who can finish a whole season.and step up in the bigger games.

i would not be opposed at all to give cutler some competition.Cause palmer will not be the answer.

Here's the "thing", neither was Josh McCown last year. As good as Josh played, it didn't make one bit of difference to our Bears making the playoffs. Now I agree, on paper things are looking much better on Defense, but honestly, even if we drafted a QB in the first round with #14, are you telling me he can come in if Jay is injured and perform at a high level right out of the shoot?

This would be a real ODD happenstance. Any drafted QB will take time to develop. If you're really looking for an answer for next season behind Jay, then grab a vet with experience in a similar system. Draft a QB if you're looking to groom someone in a couple, three years, which won't be a first round pick, maybe a third round pick?? or fourth?

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Woulda coulda shoulda. Sometimes your offense needs to step up. Who cares about last season, now. I've moved on, you shoud move on as well. No reason at all to take a QB at 14 if only to use him as trade bait. You will never get fair trade value for him. We have bigger needs than a QB at 14

I`ll agree..........:suds:

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Uh… so when Josh loses two straight to two sub .500 teams in the midst of extremely pedestrian offensive performances... it's the defenses fault. However, when Jay plays a great football game and the defense loses the game on a 4th down blown coverage with 30 seconds remaining… it's Jay's fault.

Gotcha.

Jay has had two significant injuries that caused him to miss time in his career, he's started 101 out of 114 games, and mostly behind an offensive line that was up until recently duct taped together with cast-offs and rookie busts. What big games was he awful in? First career playoff game vs Seattle… spotless showing. Every big late season game in 2010 down the stretch… best football he's played as a Bear probably. Put up 38 points in a great performance against the #1 ranked Jets D in order to clinch a first round bye. In the Green Bay game, we all know he got hurt, but again… how many freaking times was the guy hit per drop back? Then you take on a pass rush like the Pack had in 2010, what the fuck do you want dude? You can only avoid disaster for so long. He's a human being… when human beings get the shit beat out of them for years, they tend to get hurt.

I just… I don't get what the hell you want. You want to sign and keep around veteran cast-offs? That's what your plan is? :laugh3:

If you want to play "cheapskate" with the QB position in the NFL, than I really don't know what the hell sport you're watching. Jay wasn't paid like the best QB in football. He was paid like a top ten QB, and he played like one last year. Wilson, Kaep, Luck, etc… all of these guys upcoming contracts will surpass Jay's. Guarantee it.

Is Cutler a Peyton Manning, Rodgers, or a Tom Brady? No. No one is suggesting that he is. He wasn't paid like the best QB in football either. Jesus...

yeah,like its Josh`s fault that Robbie misses that fg vs Minn.....

See,two can play that dumb game.

Also,it was in our best interest to sign jay to a contract.He does give us our best option at qb.But we very well should have kept JM given the fact of jays history.
now we do not have a competent back-uo unless you thinkpalmer will be able to fill in nicely.

and getting back to the topic of drafting a qb at no.1?.....i definetley would love it.

we will need whoever it is,cause i really do believe Jay will get hurt yet again.