• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

If anyone is wondering what our playoff scenario is looking like...

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
… Obviously if you're busy pouting, and you just want to dump the season and lose out. You don't care, understandable. Move along, nothing to see here. But if you're like me and (I think) a few others on here, and you realize the SLIM odds of this team actually winning out… but are still curious to see where that would put us. Than here you go!

Current NFC Wild Card Standings:

#5 Seed (WC #1): Dallas Cowboys 8-3 (5-3 CONF)
#6 Seed (WC #2): Detroit Lions 7-4 (5-2 CONF)
--------------------------------------------
7th - Seattle Seahawks 7-4 (5-2 CONF) Detroit wins tiebreaker over Seattle on strength of victory
8th - San Francisco 7-4 (4-3 CONF)
9th - Chicago Bears 5-6 (4-3 CONF)

As you can see, the Bears are two back of Detroit, Seattle and San Francisco for the final NFC wild card spot. Three back of Dallas for the #5 seed and first WC spot.

Looking at the Bears schedule moving forward (Two games against Detroit and one vs Dallas), the Bears have a rare opportunity to secure tiebreakers over every other team in the wild card hunt. I say "rare" because I swear that every year in recent memory, the Bears have NEVER done themselves any favors with important tie breakers.

They have beaten San Francisco head-to-head, and if they are to win out they will have beaten Detroit twice and Dallas in their lone head-to-head matchup. As for Seattle, if the Bears/Seahawks tie breaker were to come into play. They would both be at 10-6, meaning that the Bears will have run the table against a five game slate of NFC opponents, while Seattle lost twice in their five game slate which is ALSO against all NFC opponents. The Bears will be 9-3 in conference, and Seattle would be 8-4. Advantage goes to Chicago.

So, in order to secure a playoff spot, the Bears will need to pass NOT ALL… but THREE OF THESE FOUR TEAMS ahead of them in the wild card hunt. Here's what they would have to do to pass each individual team...

Dallas: Win out (beating Dallas once), Dallas loses two other games.

vs PHI
@CHI (Doesn't count as one of the two necessary games, since we're assuming the Bears win out here)
@PHI
vs IND
@WSH

BEST CHANCE TO FIND THE HELP: Bears take care of business head-to-head at home. Dallas loses two of three to PHI x2 and IND.

Detroit: Win out. If the Bears win out, they will have beaten Detroit twice and gained the two games necessary while securing the head-to-head tiebreaker. Pretty simple. The Bears "control their own destiny" against the Lions. Showing their schedule isn't really necessary.

NO HELP NEEDED :yahoo:

Seattle and SF: As with every scenario we're talking about here. The Bears need to win out, and they also would need two Seattle/SF losses to pass them. This would give the Bears head-to-head against SF and a better conference record than each team.

Seattle Schedule:
@SF
@PHI
vs SF
@ARI
vs STL

BEST CHANCE TO FIND THE HELP: Pretty tough schedule. I suppose with SF and SEA still playing each other twice, you have to hope they split. Which will give each team one of the two necessary losses. Seattle could easily lose @PHI, @ARI… and hell… STL has proved to be pesky. That's not a walk over.

San Fran Schedule:
vs SEA
@OAK
@SEA
vs SD
vs ARI

BEST CHANCE TO FIND THE HELP: Another tough schedule. As mentioned for Seattle, it's probably best if these guys split the two games with each other. Then, vs SD and vs ARI. Very lose able games.

So, basically… in conclusion. The Bears do need some outside help, no doubt. However, it DOES look like that if they do stumble upon a miracle and win out, that they have very nice shot at making the playoffs.

… the only problem is, they very likely will not win out. And this thread (if I had to bet on it) will have been a complete waste of time for me come just a couple of days from now on Thanksgiving.

As long as the Bears keep on winning, I'll update the playoff scenarios weekly. Let's pray for a miracle! :suds:

EDIT: If you want to tinker with the schedule and outcomes of the final games yourself. Creating your own scenarios of how things could play out . Here's a link to ESPN's NFL Playoff Machine Simulator: http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/machine

If you're unfamiliar with this, it's pretty cool for NFL geeks trying to figure out detailed playoff scenarios. All of the tiebreakers are calculated into the system, so you don't have to think about much. Just pick your winners, and it will update the playoff picture accordingly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You hurt my brain. I,m not even sure if winning is good for us. I would not complain, but it will retard the overhall.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You hurt my brain. I,m not even sure if winning is good for us. I would not complain, but it will retard the overhall.

Yeah, it's just because there's five weeks left, and there's just so much left. Only bat shit crazy fools like me like to know every single little detail at this point. Generally with two weeks left, is when things clear up.

I don't buy the "losing is best" BS. I don't think losing is ever good for a franchise unless you're the 2011 Indianapolis Colts and Luck is on the board. The draft positioning thing is a crock too. If you draft well, you draft well wherever you're slotted. It's not about drafting super stars, it's about drafting guys who will be good long term starters.

If you want to make the argument about Trestman staying if they win, fine. But I don't care, I hate when fans root against their team.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice work rich. Kudos for putting this together- as unlikely as it may be. Nice job.
Football nerds are the coolest kind of nerds.

blh7068

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, it's just because there's five weeks left, and there's just so much left. Only bat shit crazy fools like me like to know every single little detail at this point. Generally with two weeks left, is when things clear up.

I don't buy the "losing is best" BS. I don't think losing is ever good for a franchise unless you're the 2011 Indianapolis Colts and Luck is on the board. The draft positioning thing is a crock too. If you draft well, you draft well wherever you're slotted. It's not about drafting super stars, it's about drafting guys who will be good long term starters.

If you want to make the argument about Trestman staying if they win, fine. But I don't care, I hate when fans root against their team.

Same here. I have a hard time wrapping my head around the notion that a higher draft order that results from losing makes it acceptable at some point. I cant find any scenario during the season when its okay to lose.

As for playoffs, yeah I pretty much raked the numbers, too, lol. We already know they have to win out- and thats just to have a chance. Should that happen, theyll have the head to head tiebreakers( however they may apply) over 3 teams that are currently ahead of them. That, and a 9-3 conference record really could be large as long as a WC spot can be had among teams that finish 10-6.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My saying is (never be mediocre) be bad or be good. There is elite talent at the top of the draft and superstars is exactly what we need to build around. But it's not draft position that I'm thinking of. It's coaching and the only chance for real chang comes from losing big. If we finish with 8 or 9 wins then we get neither. But I can't root to lose, never once have. Even when it was clearly the better thing for us. And who knows, the hot team come PO time can win a SB. How many WC teams have won it all lately. Many, that's how many.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same here. I have a hard time wrapping my head around the notion that a higher draft order that results from losing makes it acceptable at some point. I cant find any scenario during the season when its okay to lose.

As for playoffs, yeah I pretty much raked the numbers, too, lol. We already know they have to win out- and thats just to have a chance. Should that happen, theyll have the head to head tiebreakers( however they may apply) over 3 teams that are currently ahead of them. That, and a 9-3 conference record really could be large as long as a WC spot can be had among teams that finish 10-6.

:suds:

C

cubzzzfanincali

appreciate the effort richig, but Tampa Bay has a better chance of making the playoffs than we do.

Maybe our plan should be magically switching to the NFC South mid-season?

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
appreciate the effort richig, but Tampa Bay has a better chance of making the playoffs than we do.

Maybe our plan should be magically switching to the NFC South mid-season?

Agreed. The odds of us running the table are slim to none. But still, as long as that chance is there, I'll be pulling for them.

nomoreshoop

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
to quote dumb and dumber. "so you're saying there IS a chance?!"
nice analysis.
I was just thinking of all the yardwork/housework I'd be doing instead.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What about after they lose to the lions? What about after they lose to the cowboys?

nomoreshoop

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
some packer fans still just don't know math.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When I seen this thread the other day I really really didn't want to open it.

But after today's loss I figured what the hell I'll give my opinion on it......

Well my opinion is we suck and therewasnoway in hell was we gonna make it.
And what was we gonna do if we did make it anyways....

I'm all for a qb in the draft. In the first round that is!

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What about after they lose to the lions? What about after they lose to the cowboys?

They're three back of Detroit now with a game against Detroit and Dallas left. They'd need to win out, have two other losses from both teams and two more from San Fran.

Pretty sure a loss to Dallas mathematically eliminates them.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When I seen this thread the other day I really really didn't want to open it.

But after today's loss I figured what the hell I'll give my opinion on it......

Well my opinion is we suck and therewasnoway in hell was we gonna make it.
And what was we gonna do if we did make it anyways....

I'm all for a qb in the draft. In the first round that is!

Who? Winston.. please no. Any others worthy of first round consideration? From where I sit, the teams worse than us all need QB's as well. Please don't reach for one.

C

cubzzzfanincali

if the Bears can't orchestrate a trade for Cutler, they are stuck with him, so it makes no sense to use #1 on his replacement if he won't be replaced. Especially since the team has so many other holes.

nebearsfan70

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who? Winston.. please no. Any others worthy of first round consideration? From where I sit, the teams worse than us all need QB's as well. Please don't reach for one.

Preston? I would reach for him.

But I think it's coaching. If the Bears have a better defense Cutler's problems won't seem as bad. Maybe.