• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

i think

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
i dont want that to be the case but i dont want to risk losing him for nothing. the fact that the 2 sides cant agree on a long term deal? esp with the cap space there means someone didnt want to sign off long term. and thats just alarming. we will see though

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i dont want that to be the case but i dont want to risk losing him for nothing. the fact that the 2 sides cant agree on a long term deal? esp with the cap space there means someone didnt want to sign off long term. and thats just alarming. we will see though

Or, maybe it was much easier to give him the 1 year deal and have much more flexibility on a long term deal with much more cap space freed up next summer. If they went up against or over the cap again this year, they'd be hamstrung to do anything else. They can also offer Zach a more front loaded deal...not like Kovy, but much more than will likely be allowed after the season under a new CBA, so we have that in our favor as well. Hell, who knows, he may not be up for UFA if the rules get changed and bumped back 2 more years.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
did they even have to trade rolston to fit his 6 million hit under this years cap?

MCDevils

NJ Devils: Sweden West
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
did they even have to trade rolston to fit his 6 million hit under this years cap?

Yes someone had to go. They're at about 2.5M in space now with Parise signed.

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes they did. Also, do you want to be in the same position as last year with no flexibility and dressing 12 guys for a game?? I can't imagine Lou would just sign him to a 1 year deal without something else already basically done in principle behind the scenes. They would have almost certainly paid a mil or 2 less after arbitration with Parise missing almost all of last year. If they thought he was going to bounce, who cares if they piss him off and save some $$ in arbitration??

devs30rko

Senior citizen 0.o
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't forget the cba expires this year. parise may be an rfa next year too

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

yeah, I was trying to get at that in my first post. Like I said, i can't imagine Lou doesn't have something up his sleeve or in the works with Zach if he kicked out a 1 year deal at what appears to be higher than anything he could have gotten at arbitration.

MCDevils

NJ Devils: Sweden West
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Front loaded contracts might also disappear, as well as the cap going down.

Although, I have heard from a bunch of places that they're going to push to raise the UFA requirements so less wealthy teams can keep younger players in the organization longer.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Before this all went down no one on here I think had any problems giving him a long term deal. Nkw that this happened everyone is anti long term. His knee is fine with the way teams treat star players these days I'm sure its fine. He is going to put up 75-85pts. now if Ur parise why won't u wait the extra 6 months come jan to test the market?

We saw what type of return kovalchuk and hosaa netted thw thrashers at the deadline when teams know Ur in a corner. I have no problem dealing him now.

One thing people are forgetting is yes the cba might get reworked. However it isnt set to expire until September. So he will be a ufa this summer. That's my opinion. You guys also mention its a good deal because no cap worries hanging over this team but now they have this hanging over their heads all season

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
to touch further bout the cba. there will be a ufa period July 1st so Parise as of this moment will be a ufa. a team can sign him and cba gets reworked and that team has him as a rfa. so I can see a team offering him an insane 1 year deal and have him locked up as a rfa

rp2five

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Didn't realize the CBA expires in September. Oh well, there goes that advantage.
I also just read that if there is no deal in place by September 15, then the current deal continues until both sides reach an agreement on the new one. What is the purpose of the deadline then? Its useless.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
So there u go that's even worse. No rush to get this thing done so I don't see them doing anything cba wise until after the season is over. Which would be too late to deal him.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Before this all went down no one on here I think had any problems giving him a long term deal. Nkw that this happened everyone is anti long term. His knee is fine with the way teams treat star players these days I'm sure its fine. He is going to put up 75-85pts. now if Ur parise why won't u wait the extra 6 months come jan to test the market?

We saw what type of return kovalchuk and hosaa netted thw thrashers at the deadline when teams know Ur in a corner. I have no problem dealing him now.

One thing people are forgetting is yes the cba might get reworked. However it isnt set to expire until September. So he will be a ufa this summer. That's my opinion. You guys also mention its a good deal because no cap worries hanging over this team but now they have this hanging over their heads all season

I did, and I love the guy.

devs30rko

Senior citizen 0.o
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ill fully admit I wanted a long term deal. I'm just rolling with what we've got now

rp2five

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I also wanted something longterm. If Parise has a great season which probably will happen, he will be sought after by almost every team. The interest in Brad Richards will be nothing compared to the interest Parise will demand.

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I still want a long term deal, preferably January 1, 2012 at midnight signed sealed and delivered.

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What We Learned: Get ready for a year of Zach Parise rumors - Puck Daddy - NHLBlog - Yahoo! Sports

i agree with this hanging over the devils heads all winter and esp come feb/march? i would rather have cap issues and wondering whos staying and going.

trade him NOW

We'll see, they may have a deal done before the season waiting to be signed January 1. Read quotes in an article on 4thperiod that sound like both sides are gunning for that. No way I'd trade him now unless someone like Doughty or Weber signed long term is coming in return.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I agree. those are the 2 players I woulld Target. u wait til deadline to shop Parise and u won't even sniff one of them