• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I only caught about 1 quarter of the Lions/Jags game -- How did they look?

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The final score didn't look too convincing, especially since I saw, what I'm guessing is the only TD by Bush. Also found it very alarming when I read that the Lions had 15 penalties. If Caldwell is instilling discipline into the team -- they didn't get the message. 15 penalties is Raider'esque.

So someone give me a breakdown. How did everyone look? I heard Whitehead looked solid on the outside for the 1st time and could be in the equation. Anyone else stand out?

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a very inspiring performance.

Stafford was shaky early and then seemed to level-out on the 3rd and 4th possessions. He threw a pick to a DE dropping back into zone coverage off a man look by the secondary- tricky look, but he never saw the DE at all.

Running game looked good all around- Bush was electric, Bell was steady, and even Leshoure ripped off a big gainer.

Not a ton happening on defense, 'cept for Whitehead going bonkers. Green had a pick, but the throw was ill-advised.

Idk, not much else to discuss. Our ones were better than their ones, but our twos and threes didn't look as hot.

Quackerjacked

Falcon
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was a shitty game to watch. We didn't look a whole lot better than the Jags, it's disconcerting. I am not sure, but I think Caldwell lost a bunch in the preseason with the Colts too. There are some good teams that just lose a lot in the preseason because they really play it as a practice. I'm hoping that is what happened.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what was the score when each team had the one's on the field? did detroit look like the better team with the one's or was it fairly close between the two?

also -- who were all the penalties on? the penalties is more concerning to me than anything I've read. if the 2nd and 3rd stringers were the guys taking all the penalties -- not much you can do about that. if it were the starters -- then it is very alarming.

i heard Suh got a personal foul, but I didn't get to see that either. I'll read the thread I saw when I opened the page on that though.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well -- I just read some articles about the game. I'm guessing it is a good thing I didn't watch the game. I sure hope the Lions are better in the regular season than what I just read. It said Detroit has 26 penalties for over 200+ yards in the last two preseason games. I'm starting to think maybe it wasn't Schwartz and some of these guys won't ever get it. (it said about Jax the starters had 10 of the 15 penalties -- on a side note -- they did say quite a few of the Oakland game penalties was the new defensive holding calls against Detroit).

I hope Caldwell is able to get thru to these guys or it could be much of the same from the past couple years.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The penalties were borderline ridiculous, imo. The refs were throwing them on anything and everything even resembling a penalty, whether it impacted the play or not.

Kris Durham got called for an offensive pass interference where he stopped running and the defender on him did not, then tries to stop suddenly and fell down, Durham's hand grazed him as they separated, though.

Fans will revolt if refs call games that tight in the regular season. The announcers always love to say that the refs could call multiple penalties on every play; well, the refs Friday night basically were. They need to learn to feel the flow of the game and call penalties where warranted, not if they see hands to the face from a TE on a DB 20 yards across the field from the ball carrier.

I read in the offseason that the NFL retired a lot of the oldest referees this offseason, so they have more first-time guys than ever before. I wonder if that's the case with the increased flags this preseason?

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dag gum....A earthquake hits California and 49er football is still on TV.......I'm still waiting on the big one where it takes out HollyWood.........Nothing but good can come from it.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty much like everyone said. Not very impressive although I predicted that before the game. Jags are very under rated and I expect them to finish second in that division and could make a run at Indy.

Lions still outplayed them as they overcame 15+ penalties and a bad turnover by Leshoure in the redzone.

The only other player that looked real good not mentioned above was DE George Johnson. Also, Whitehead was more than just solid at LB, he was everywhere.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It felt like to start the game Stafford was told to go to Johnson a lot. He never bothered to look to his second read. After the pick he spread it out like he should and looked real good.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
retty much like everyone said. Not very impressive although I predicted that before the game. Jags are very under rated and I expect them to finish second in that division and could make a RUN at Indy.

What is selling you on Jacksonville? I read that they named Chad Henne their week 1 starter. They are also going to be without Blackmon, Jones-Drew left for Oakland and while Bortles has looked solid -- if they hand him the starting job -- the overwhelming majority of QB's struggle mightily their rookie year.

I think Jacksonville is going to be battling for another top 5 pick. Just wondering what it is about them you really like?

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After the pick he spread it out like he should and looked real good.

I will say this -- I saw a replay of the interception and he hit the Jacksonville player right in stride. It was a perfect throw if the guy was wearing a lions jersey.:suds:

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Way too many penalties and turnovers. Leshoure looked great one play then fumbled the next. They need a kicker.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is selling you on Jacksonville? I read that they named Chad Henne their week 1 starter. They are also going to be without Blackmon, Jones-Drew left for Oakland and while Bortles has looked solid -- if they hand him the starting job -- the overwhelming majority of QB's struggle mightily their rookie year.

I think Jacksonville is going to be battling for another top 5 pick. Just wondering what it is about them you really like?

Agrreed, the jags may be the worst team in the league. Luck is only going to be better, that colts team could very well be an elite squad this year.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The penalties were borderline ridiculous, imo. The refs were throwing them on anything and everything even resembling a penalty, whether it impacted the play or not.

Kris Durham got called for an offensive pass interference where he stopped running and the defender on him did not, then tries to stop suddenly and fell down, Durham's hand grazed him as they separated, though.

Fans will revolt if refs call games that tight in the regular season. The announcers always love to say that the refs could call multiple penalties on every play; well, the refs Friday night basically were. They need to learn to feel the flow of the game and call penalties where warranted, not if they see hands to the face from a TE on a DB 20 yards across the field from the ball carrier.

I read in the offseason that the NFL retired a lot of the oldest referees this offseason, so they have more first-time guys than ever before. I wonder if that's the case with the increased flags this preseason?

Lets hope the refs are just rusty as well and ironing things out in the preseason.

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lets hope the refs are just rusty as well and ironing things out in the preseason.

Things that had never been a penalty before will be penalties this year. Flags will be thrown if any team attempts to play defense.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Finished 4-4 in second half of last year and it should have been 5-3. They blew the Titans game. Defense is much better and O-Line is better. If they still had Blackmon they would be a playoff team. I like Gerhart behind that line. Not sure it matters who hands him the ball but I am surprised they did not go with Bortles. MJD was a fat slob last year (compared to what he usually looks like anyway which is a bodybuilder). He really did not impress me and his better days are probably behind him.

Also, they have an easy schedule (NFC E and AFC E) along with being in a bad division. 7-9 easy although they will start a little slow as their toughest games are earlier in the season.

Last edited by a moderator:

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agrreed, the jags may be the worst team in the league. Luck is only going to be better, that colts team could very well be an elite squad this year.

They cant run the ball to save their lives. They are a 1 dimensional team. Awesome at passing, but better defenses will shut down those types of offenses. Maybe the new rules help them and get them to a 2nd playoff game but Denver and NE will play for the AFC title. Not even close.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Way too many penalties and turnovers. Leshoure looked great one play then fumbled the next. They need a kicker.

Yep. LeShoure had his roster spot all sewn up, then might have fumbled it away. Maybe.

Same Old Lions basically. Penalties and turnovers out the ass.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They cant run the ball to save their lives. They are a 1 dimensional team. Awesome at passing, but better defenses will shut down those types of offenses. Maybe the new rules help them and get them to a 2nd playoff game but Denver and NE will play for the AFC title. Not even

Passing offenses are winning big games more and more, its unfortunately the evolution of the NFL now that the QBS wear skirts.