• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I need a new egg skillet

Tomhusker

The Original Husker+ Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 271.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking for suggestions on a replacement for my 8" egg skillet. I like a quality, non stick pan that allows me to cook without utensils. I also would like to NOT spend an entire paycheck on one.

I don't like the cheap stuff off the shelf at Walmart or other big store.

What do you folks use?

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That might not be a bad option. I have some cheapo T-Fal non-stick skillets that work pretty well. I haven't been using them very often lately because I'm trying to build seasoning on my cast iron. I added an extra link since the one I had up top didn't seem to work.

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking for suggestions on a replacement for my 8" egg skillet. I like a quality, non stick pan that allows me to cook without utensils. I also would like to NOT spend an entire paycheck on one.

I don't like the cheap stuff off the shelf at Walmart or other big store.

What do you folks use?

Questions: Why does it have to be 8"? Is this a pan you only use for your eggs? I ask because "egg skillets" are usually a little smaller than 8". Unless you mean one of those with the 3 "holes" in the pan for each egg, but I don't think you mean that(or do you?)....

Tomhusker

The Original Husker+ Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 271.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are times when I make omelets packed with veggies. Anything smaller than 8" makes it harder to keep everything together.

Also, I call it an egg pan because I won't cook anything else in it but eggs/omelets.

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are times when I make omelets packed with veggies. Anything smaller than 8" makes it harder to keep everything together.

Also, I call it an egg pan because I won't cook anything else in it but eggs/omelets.

Got ya :suds: Well I just looked around on Amazon, there seems to be an 8" Cuisinart pan with an average 5 stars after almost 80 reviews, that's pretty rare. The one knock on it seems to be that it's a bit heavy. If that doesn't matter, might want to take a look...Model #DSA22-20...
Never used it myself, but if I was looking for a 8" pan right now, I'd likely buy it...

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have a smallish anodized skillet that is fairly intact after 12 years. Got it from BloodBath and Beyond. I use it for omelettes and they usually come out nice:

62362144357979p?$478$.jpg

It's the one in the foreground, their website says it's an 8-incher but I don't think it is. That may be the measurement across the lip, but as you can see it's got slanted edges, and the bottom is more like 6 inches across. Comes in a set but I'm positive you can buy pieces individually. We own about half of this set and some other items that look just like it but aren't shown here.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/sto...vF0j6Fn4lc3l7FcYIMjkv8rQg3SIaE2eWoaAlSS8P8HAQ

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm actually looking for a new non stick skillet too, but I use it for eggs AND grilled cheese. And I have the bad habit of cooking everything too hot (it gets done faster and I get to eat sooner) and all my Teflon pans end up burning all the Teflon off. I'm sure it's coating my insides and doing all sorts of bad things to me. So I really want the ceramic pans and stuff to be worthwhile.

Tomhusker

The Original Husker+ Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 271.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm actually looking for a new non stick skillet too, but I use it for eggs AND grilled cheese. And I have the bad habit of cooking everything too hot (it gets done faster and I get to eat sooner) and all my Teflon pans end up burning all the Teflon off. I'm sure it's coating my insides and doing all sorts of bad things to me. So I really want the ceramic pans and stuff to be worthwhile.

I am thinking about one of them ceramic coated pans as well. Maybe I'll hit one of the kitchen stores in sioux falls.

I like a little weight to the pan. It feels better when flipping the eggs/veggies. Plus, those light weight things just feel cheap.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I tried a ceramic one from Blood bath and beyond. Pretty decent, so I bought a set from Sam's club...crap.
I like, but you get what you pay for, and still not metal utensils.

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have a smallish anodized skillet that is fairly intact after 12 years. Got it from BloodBath and Beyond. I use it for omelettes and they usually come out nice:

View attachment 109312

It's the one in the foreground, their website says it's an 8-incher but I don't think it is. That may be the measurement across the lip, but as you can see it's got slanted edges, and the bottom is more like 6 inches across. Comes in a set but I'm positive you can buy pieces individually. We own about half of this set and some other items that look just like it but aren't shown here.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/sto...vF0j6Fn4lc3l7FcYIMjkv8rQg3SIaE2eWoaAlSS8P8HAQ

I actually ended up getting this, but a 2 piece set of just skillets. Only used it for a month so far but the non stick coating seems to be holding up fine. They claim it's a new formula that's non toxic (yeah sure) but you can at least use metal utensils with it with no problem.

All of the ceramic coated ones were just too cheap feeling. Except the le creuset or whatever that was coated cast iron and too expensive and too heavy for what I wanted.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually ended up getting this, but a 2 piece set of just skillets. Only used it for a month so far but the non stick coating seems to be holding up fine. They claim it's a new formula that's non toxic (yeah sure) but you can at least use metal utensils with it with no problem.

All of the ceramic coated ones were just too cheap feeling. Except the le creuset or whatever that was coated cast iron and too expensive and too heavy for what I wanted.
The little one is in the best shape of all of our set. Of course my wife thinks she can use metal spatulas on them with no consequences. I've begged her to stop. The larger ones are starting to look rusted.

You get the right spatula and you can make some pretty good omelets with that little guy. It's the perfect size, right?

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The little one is in the best shape of all of our set. Of course my wife thinks she can use metal spatulas on them with no consequences. I've begged her to stop. The larger ones are starting to look rusted.

You get the right spatula and you can make some pretty good omelets with that little guy. It's the perfect size, right?

Mine is like a 10 inch and 12.5 inch skillet. It's a little big for omelets, but gives me room to fry more eggs at once. I don't really do omelets anyways, and love a fried egg sandwich or on a burger. And the big one is great for grilled cheese. I use a silicone coated wide flat spatula for eggs, and more of a "normal" shaped one for sammies. I'm happy with it.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mine is like a 10 inch and 12.5 inch skillet. It's a little big for omelets, but gives me room to fry more eggs at once. I don't really do omelets anyways, and love a fried egg sandwich or on a burger. And the big one is great for grilled cheese. I use a silicone coated wide flat spatula for eggs, and more of a "normal" shaped one for sammies. I'm happy with it.

Oh. you don't have the small one then...we have the two bigger ones as well, but that lil' 8 incher is awesome

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

View attachment 109312

The measurement isn't usually the flat cooking surface diameter. It's the diameter between the lips.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My wife cooks me 1-2 omelets every day in this thing, and I swear to God, they are all 10's. The little dimples make the best damn omelets I've ever had.

Green Pan Ceramic Non-Stick Skillet Set